Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07   #1

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
Annapolis Boat Show

Just came back from Annapolis. A bit of the same-old-same-old, but a few notable absences from the show this year (Ex: Moody, Cabo Rico)

Lots of Beneteau, Jeaneau, Hunter and Catalina boats there, but not many of the lower volume boats. There were quite a few companies with 2 year old boats there (Tartan, Hallberg-Rassey, Valiant).

There was nothing that really reached out and grabbed me as a truly new boat or some new piece of equipment or accessory that I HAD TO have.

Anyone else attend? Impressions?

Rick & Bonnie
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI.
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:18   #2

Did you happen to catch the new Beneteau Sense using its sail drive/ bow thruster joy stick docking system?
Greg
Old 13-10-2010, 05:38   #3

Sense

Yes I saw it. I've had to do that with my boat in 20 knots of wind and no sail drive. Yes.. it looked good, but how often is that required?

Rick
Old 13-10-2010, 05:47   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
i just had to have the Atlantic 57, but my banker disagrees.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:50   #5

Boat: Cape Dory
The new East Coast version of Pacific Seacraft was also conspicuously absent -- not a good sign.

And not to induce thread drift, but . . . what the hell: what do you all make of Defender ending its relationship with Garmin?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:53   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We went to the seminars for the first time. Turned out to be our best boat show yet. Heard the guys talk about the trip "Around the Americas" and got more in the spirit of cruising then looking at all the stuff we couldn't afford or didn't need.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 06:59   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Moody, I think, is a division of Hanse and the new Moody looks like a cruising Hanse.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Yes I saw it. I've had to do that with my boat in 20 knots of wind and no sail drive. Yes.. it looked good, but how often is that required?

Rick
Good point Rick, how often is a good question. I don't imagine that is is "required" for most skippers most of the time. I can see what market they are after, and we shall see if it catches on. Don't know that I would be interested in the extra maintenance of the sail drive either...
Greg
Old 13-10-2010, 11:32   #9

I did not check to see if the Beneteau used a hybrid electric drive (not sure what "sail drive" entails) similar to cruise ships. A modern cruise ship is basically an electric company surrounded by cabins where the drive pods are fully maneuverable and allow it to do similar things. On a sailboat this was viewed as a new generation of diesel engines and, while I have seen articles on it, did not see this as production any time soon.

Rick
Hylas 49-057 "Black Diamond"
Portsmouth, RI.
Old 13-10-2010, 12:46   #10

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
We went to the seminars for the first time. Turned out to be our best boat show yet. Heard the guys talk about the trip "Around the Americas" and got more in the spirit of cruising then looking at all the stuff we couldn't afford or didn't need.

Jim

The Seminars are my favorite part of the boat show, lots of great information and interesting stories. I have learned so much just by attending those.

The boats are great to look at and the vendor booths, but really with the number of people going through the boats it is hard to really get a good feel for one.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
The new East Coast version of Pacific Seacraft was also conspicuously absent -- not a good sign.
There was a Pacific Seacraft boat there (34?), but not in their ususal spot. It was across the "channel" from the tartan/c&c boats.
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 13:29   #12

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
This was my first year at the show and I did the take the wheel seminar. Next year, I want to do other seminars. They are really educational! I also want to be there on the Tuesday to try out some of the cats that will have caught my eye.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 13:43   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico
The Painkillers at Pussers were as good as always. The great weather was a double-edged sword in that by the end of the days (Fri-Sat for us) the crowds were very thick and got a little bit creepy in the tents. Stuffy and sardinelinke at times.

I too wish they had more classic boats there. I don't go to the boatshow for a boat I want to buy - I go there to go on boats I can't possibly buy. I liked the Morris 42s (semi daysailer, and cruising version). Very nice people too. Loved the Gozzard. The Valiant is owned by boat brokers Kate Christensen and Bernie Jackits. It is a couple of years old, but it is rigged for Bluewater and had windvanes, solar panels etc. Most of the company boats are stripped down.

Best crabhouse ever is Jimmy Cantler's! Really cool old-school crab boil.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:24   #14

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
There was a Pacific Seacraft boat there (34?), but not in their ususal spot. It was across the "channel" from the tartan/c&c boats.
I saw that -- nice boat. I believe it is for sale through Cruisader YS. ANyway, it was an '89 and there as part of the womanship program. I don't think the owners of PSC were at the show -- certainly none of their recent productions. I hope they do well -- PSC's are uniquely nice boats.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:53   #15

I thought the Outbound 46 was a great design that could easily go where ever you wanted. The LM 63 was the only boat my wife said she would trade for. Good show all in all, lots to see.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show