Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2014, 15:49   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Anchoring in New York area

Wombat, if cost were no object I'd say contact North Cove and see what they can do for you. Prime location, plenty of depth.

Old 14-05-2014, 21:17   #17

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Manhasset Bay on north shore of LI is the way to go no doubt. I keep my boat at Manhasset Bay Marina and my family are one of the original old clam digger families. Been there since the 1800's. My buddy Mat Myran runs the water Taxi service and the mooring field. With the mooring you get complementary water taxi service to and from the town dock. There is also a brand new dingy dock in town right across the street from a massive stop and shop food store. There are a bunch of good restaurants right in town and a few on the water. For a small fee like five bucks, the water taxi will bounce you around from bar to bar/ restaurant to restaurant or you can just take your dingy, to Louies with a great deck on the water, La Mottas which is the restaurant at the marina I keep my boat, Manhasset Bay, which also has a great Tiki Bar and live bands every friday night. It's a full service marina, gas mechanics and a great carpenter/ fiberglass guy, which happens to be me LOL. Nelson Schlaefer. The train is the best to the city, an express all the Wall St guys take. 35 min to penn station. They also have live concerts at the John Phillip Sousa Band shell which you can sit on the lawn or bring a lounge chair or just listen to from your mooring. Very protected from the elements. This is where you stay, trust me and easy for your friends to get to if they are flying in or just want to take the train from the city, have fun.

Old 15-05-2014, 06:11   #18

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Wombat, if cost were no object I'd say contact North Cove and see what they can do for you. Prime location, plenty of depth.
$6/foot ? ? ?

Jolly jumping checkbooks batman
Old 15-05-2014, 06:51   #19

Boat: Hunter 41
Anchoring in New York area

I have stayed many a night behind Ellis Island waiting to run up the East River. No need to transit that narrow, scary channel to the Liberty State Park boat ramp zone. Fisherman start launching and waking you by 0500. Some don't wake from wake but it usually gets me up. If you anchor just north west of ELSZ2 it's actually quite quiet and calm. Make sure you don't drift into the security zone. I like to go right between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to get there, just remember the yellow security cans are unlit.
Port Washington is high on our list of anchoring spots. You don't HAVE to take a ball, you can anchor. The whole of Manhasset Bay is designed for boaters. As you cross south of Plum Point there is a no wake sign that applies to the majority of the bay. You can dinghy in, in very calm water and shop or eat or just go for a walk. Trains to NYC are easy to get to and if you get antsy for a sail, Long Island Sound is beautiful. Every cove has something to offer and you can stop over in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and more in less than a days sail! There is a West Marine in Port Washington also if that is of interest. As Stu mentioned, Active Captain is an awesome source of local information. Cheers
Old 15-05-2014, 07:35   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
$6/foot ? ? ?

Yes, but when you consider the cost of hotel accommodation on Manhatten in that downtown area $6 per foot on a 40 footer is half the hotel room rate.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, but when you consider the cost of hotel accommodation on Manhatten in that downtown area $6 per foot on a 40 footer is half the hotel room rate.
Gee Mark,

Where do you stay in NY? 4-5 star hotels in Manhattan are not much more than $6/ft for 40'. You must be in the penthouse suite like the rest of the rich and famous.
Old 15-05-2014, 08:30   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Cheapest I could find was $400 per night.

Nephew stayed in the YMCA in a dorm with 20 other men and that was $50 per night lol.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Nephew stayed in the YMCA in a dorm with 20 other men and that was $50 per night lol.
Think I'll pass on the bunk at the YMCA. Getting too old for that.

But seriously, the way to see NYC, get a hotel across the Hudson in Jersey City for half the price. Several are just a block or two from a subway station. $2.00 ticket and 5 minute ride you're in Manhattan.

I did check Expedia and found several 4 star hotels in the city for $250-$300 but will depend a lot on when you travel. Any sort of holiday or event going on in the city and rates jump.
Old 15-05-2014, 10:22   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Manhattan is expensive no matter how you slice it. But North Cove is pretty much unique, in terms of location and facility. You walk over to the subway and that's it.

You don't need to check LIRR schedules or figure out when the last train runs, because the subway is 24x7. And way cheaper than RR tickets. You don't need to take the taxi to the LIRR, like Manhasset. You don't need to take the taxi or the bus or walk over and get mugged on the drag to the subway coming in from City Island.

It ain't cheap--but depending on how many people will be in the party, and how much you value saving an hour each way (plus fares) in commutes...it IS an option. And of course it means you make landfall literally AT the Battery, instead of driving up the East River and into the Sound, which may or may not be en route. If someone didn't plan to transit the Sound, they'd be wasting 5-6 hours each way getting up and down the East River again. Possibly more depending on the currents in Hell Gate that day.

So, there's the potential to literally save two days of nuisance transit time by staying at North Cove.

The Jersey marinas offer you that same savings, but you're more likely to have problems with rocking all night, or water depth, and you still have to take something to the PATH train to the subway to get in. Or the ferry. Sometimes...it pays to at least consider paying the piper and being done with it.

Besides, you might meet Dennis Conner. I understand he's part owner.(G)

On hotel prices in Manhattan...yes, they really can climb to $400 very quickly and easily. And that's just for two people. Same problem, if you stay in the outer boroughs or (gasp!) the Mainland...you can save money but there's a cost to that too.

Now, if all the tourists and transients would simply GTF OFF MY ISLAND after Labor Day, things could be so much more reasonable. As I said to Citibank when they threatened to move their hq to Kansas, "Have a nice trip, and take your building with you!" (Damned carpetbaggers never left.)

BTW, I've lost track of what they're doing at South Street Seaport, but their policy used to be that Seaport members could dock overnight for a not totally exorbitant fee. (Non-members are greeted with cutlasses and pikes.) It might be worth asking them what their current terms are, although they had zero facilities to go with that.
Old 15-05-2014, 10:29   #25

Quote:

Did that once too. Graffiti in the bathroom offering various "services" from some of the other male "guests". Made one want to sleep with one eye open.
Old 15-05-2014, 10:41   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
$6/foot ? ? ?

True story. Over twenty years ago I met a returning cruiser in the Erie Canal. He was heading home, I was heading south. We talked about anchoring spots near Manhattan. He said his wife really wanted a night on the town after a few years of cruising so he took his forty foot sailboat into the mega yacht marina on the Hudson side of lower Manhattan. Over $4 a foot and this was in the nineties. The bit that really got him though was that they had no showers (mega yachts don't need shoreside facilities) and he couldn't even plug in as there were no piddly little 30 amp outlets. They did have a good night on the town though.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 16:43   #27

I like to anchor on the North Side of Ellis Island after transiting the East River to wait for a favorable current up the Hudson (North) River. A little rocking during the day but, still less than some of the marinas further north. Quiets down pretty much at night and offers a great view of Manhattan. It's a quick trip around the bend by dingy to Liberty landing Marina if you need to pick someone up.

Disclaimer: I have not anchored here since a few days before Hurricane Sandy hit the area. But, NOAA did an extensive survey of the area post storm:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: NEW YORK HARBOR SURVEY UPDATE
So if there was any new obstructions I think they would have found them.

I've also anchored behind the Statue of Liberty (Clawsons Point?) a number of times. But, you never know how much room there will be and the bottom is a thick sludge. Better have a good washdown system when raising the anchor. Found T Shirt type cloth on anchor on several occasions too. Usually good holding though but, tight quarters if too many boats are there.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:46   #28

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Wombat,
Hoping this not to late, just realizing i did not respond to your interest in moorings.
Info on Port Washington/Manhasset Bay moorings.
Yellow town moorings that line the main channel are free for first 48 hrs. on weekdays
and free for 24 hrs. on weekends...afterwards a flat fee of $25. per day which
includes water taxi to anywhere in the bay. There are 20 moorings and some are
good for 50 + ft boats. Not all moorings have pennants and
pick up buoys but if you contact them as you approach to the bay they will
have set up for you when you arrive.
contact for mooring thru Port. Wash water taxi/ Matt Myran
phone 516 455 0411 or 516 767 1691///chan 9 vhf
Also Manhasset Bay protected, good depth, good holding and plenty of room if
choose to anchor.
Also see many favorable reviews on Active Captain re Port. Wash., moorings,
Water taxi,
Hugo