Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 09:02   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Anchor Bridle

How long & how thick should an anchor bridle be? What do you use to attach it to the anchore rode/chain (I have both)?

Thanks
Dan

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:49   #2

I always just used a forged chain hook they dont fall off very easy, and wont come off under stress. I used a 3/4" bridle on my Lagoon 42, but realistically, I think you want the bridle to absorb some shock and stretch a little. Let's face it, the anchor is going to pull out long before the bridle breaks. So on your 37 maybe 1/2 or 5/8. Chafe is a factor. How do you like your 37? It's alot like my 42 was I believe. I loved mine.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:45   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
I like it, we looked at a 42, but it wasnt worth the extra 40 grand they wanted for it. The bridge deck was set up different, but its a trade off I can live with.

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:11   #4

I agree, if doing it again, the 37 would be plenty, almost the same boat really. I transferred my gear and liveaboard amenities from a 47 mono that was down 5" on the water line to the 42 cat and the cat only went down maybe 1.5" ! On a 5 hour close reach/beat between anchorages we left with our friends who had a Perry designed aluminum 48 and they barely beat us. I kept wanting to head up as I was tracking them,but once I figured out that 7 knots cracked off 15 degrees was better than 5 knots pinched up we did great! Use a big anchor though, a lot of windage with the cat.. The other thing I loved was the built in davits, pulled our 10ft rib with 15hp OB up in 5 minutes and we were gone. Also loved the completely open engine rooms, hell you could sun bathe in there! Those TPI built Lagoons are great boats.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle