Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 16:09   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Anchor- 44lb spade/rocna vs 55lb Lewmar delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
- The shank of the SPADE is hollow in order to lower its center of gravity closer to the tip. As a result the shank is fragile and I have bent it while attempting to hoist it while the SPADE was stuck in rocks
- It is ballasted with lead in the tip, but the tip is not welded shut. The resulting electrolysis between lead and steel, plus the poor zinc galvanization in the first place, caused my SPADE to start rusting after 2 years of service.
Interesting I suspected their may be issues there but was waiting for an end user to confirm it.
Plus when it comes to regalvanising you have lead out and back in issues.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 16:27   #32

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Had a Manson supreme. it dragged all over the place before it would set. Once in it was fine. Switched to a Mantus. It set very quickly and never budged. Same boat, same all chain rode, it's just a better design(IMHO).
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 16:48   #33

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Just to echo that Steve's SV Panope videos are an invaluable resource & well worth watching.

See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html

We had a Rocna 25 kg on all chain rode for our Nordic Tug 37. It would sometimes fail to set in weeds and on one memorable windy night with 180 degree switch in current and wind, it let go and reset with very little room to spare before we were into the rocks.

After watching Steve's videos, it became apparent that the Rocna was not great in resetting if dislodged.

We switched the Rocna for a Spade 120. (55 kg). The difference in setting is quite dramatic. The Spade sets much more quickly and reliably. The same weed bottom where we could not get the Rocna to set at all was not a problem for the Spade. We are often impressed at how deeply buried the anchor is after even a single night.

On the downside: The Spade does not have the best galvanizing in my opinion. (The yellow paint was peeling off before it ever got wet). I have felt compelled to spray the anchor with a relatively cheap but effective galvanizing paint to keep the rust at bay. Apart from that quibble, we are very happy with the Spade.

But this is all anecdotal. Watch Steve's videos and draw your own conclusions.

I would suggest that the Sarca Excel, Mantus and Spade should all be on your short-list of contenders.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 17:17   #34

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

Be thankful that you lost your CQR. Before you buy a new anchor and if you have the funds to pay for the best anchor out there, IMO, check out the Ultra. When my Ultra is set hard it is normally so deep you cannot find it. And when I go to bring it up I must drive over it to break it loose. The only reason for not buying an Ultra is price.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 02:12   #35

Boat: Dufour 385

I have had a Delta and it was fine, it worked well for lunch stops but sometimes wouldn't cope well after a tide change as it dragged a way to dig in again, I often could pull it along the bottom for a long way before it stopped the boat, now i have a Rocna and the difference is remarkable, it digs in after a tide change everytime and i cannot drag it at all, it digs in straight away and the boat stops dead, my friend has a spade and reports the same.
ballvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 06:09   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Interesting I suspected their may be issues there but was waiting for an end user to confirm it.
Plus when it comes to regalvanising you have lead out and back in issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
- The shank of the SPADE is hollow in order to lower its center of gravity closer to the tip. As a result the shank is fragile and I have bent it while attempting to hoist it while the SPADE was stuck in rocks
- It is ballasted with lead in the tip, but the tip is not welded shut. The resulting electrolysis between lead and steel, plus the poor zinc galvanization in the first place, caused my SPADE to start rusting after 2 years of service.

---------------------------------
GALAWA
The Spade Anchor has a 3 piece Hollow shank. This 3 piece design is the same technology used in skyscrapers. It may bend under catastrophic conditions but it will never snap/break. The Spade Anchor will never cut you loose. Your chain/rope may fail but not the Spade.
ANY anchor will bend or break if "stuck in the rocks". Not sure what scenario resulted in anchoring in rocks?

The tip is welded shut at the "nose". The back side of the fluke you can see the lead in the tip in the opening. I believe that is what you are referring to.
Two non similar metals, have to come into contact for electrolysis to occur. There is a lining between the galvanized steel and the lead. Electrolysis can not happen from that area as it is not in contact with anything.

Re-galvanizing a Spade Anchor is not an issue and is FREE!
Any Spade owner that is not satisfied with the condition of their Spade Anchor, can take full advantage of our Lifetime Warranty. The first step is an anchor refinishing kit is provided FREE of charge. The second step is a full anchor replacement with a NEW Spade Anchor.

Let other anchor owners lug their anchors to the metal shops and haggle over the price and time to re galvanize. Spade Owners kick back and enjoy a beverage until the UPS delivery shows up.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:40   #37

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

As I research anchors, it seems to me that the Mantus, Manson, Spade and Rocna all make spade style anchors. Within this group, you have either a 'roll bar' or you don't.

When folks here say they like Rocna, are they referring to the original Rocna or the newer Vulcan? The latter looks identical to a Spade to me with the exception of price.

Is the roll bar on the Rocna, Mantus or Manson anchors even necessary or is it more what fits on your bow?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:56   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We switched the Rocna for a Spade 120. (55 kg). The difference in setting is quite dramatic.
Well, for goodness sake, you more than DOUBLED the weight of the anchor. Of course it worked better! Attributing this to the design difference is without merit.

I too believe that the Spade is a good anchor,but your experience does little to demonstrate that it is superior to the previous Rocna.

Jim
Old 15-02-2019, 20:18   #39

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

I found a new 45 lb Manson Boss anchor on 60% off clearance at West Marine. Marked down from $700 to $280. Think I found my anchor. Weird for WM to have the best price without having to do price match. I'll take it though.

Anyone used the Boss before?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 21:22   #40

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

When folks here say they like Rocna, are they referring to the original Rocna or the newer Vulcan? The latter looks identical to a Spade to me with the exception of price.

Is the roll bar on the Rocna, Mantus or Manson anchors even necessary or is it more what fits on your bow?
The Vulcan is rocnas offering to overcome the downsides of the roll bar which can be difficult to fit on the bow. The bar helps to ensure correct orientation physically and with its weight.
The Spade uses lead in the head to put max weight on the tip, helping it to dig in and to ensure its orientation. The Vulcan trys to do this by positioning the shank in the plow.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 21:44   #41

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
The anchor is the last thing to save money on

Take a 55lb Spade!

What eagle said!!. You will never regret it. Anchor and chain may save your boat. It may save your life.

I will be buying a spade s180. 2 times larger than specified by my boat. My friends think I am nuts. I think I will be sleeping while they are on anchor watch and I will be on anchor watch shooting video while they are doing a retrieval and re-anchor.

Good luck.
Colin
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 21:47   #42

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I found a new 45 lb Manson Boss anchor on 60% off clearance at West Marine. Marked down from $700 to $280. Think I found my anchor. Weird for WM to have the best price without having to do price match. I'll take it though.

Anyone used the Boss before?

I think your saving money in the wrong place. This is a mistake. Go with the spade.

Why is the anchor marked down from $700 to well below cost?

Because no one wants it.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 22:20   #43

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post

Let other anchor owners lug their anchors to the metal shops and haggle over the price and time to re galvanize. Spade Owners kick back and enjoy a beverage until the UPS delivery shows up.
From and back from anywhere in the world?
Freight on 180lb will be quite up there me thinks.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 07:07   #44

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, for goodness sake, you more than DOUBLED the weight of the anchor. Of course it worked better! Attributing this to the design difference is without merit.

I too believe that the Spade is a good anchor,but your experience does little to demonstrate that it is superior to the previous Rocna.

Jim
Oops

Sorry for the typo. I messed up the units. I normally think in metric but had just read someone describing a 55 lb bower.

Anyways,

That should read 25 Kg (or 55 lb). Sorry to muddy the waters. It’s the Same weight for both anchors..,.

But -> Dramatically different behavior.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 07:44   #45

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Having had experience with both the Delta and the Rocna, my take is that the Rocna is far and away the superior anchor. That being said, the roll bar may present a challenge for some if the bow/anchor roller are not compatible for easy storage.

Having a similar sized boat as yours, I would recommend the 25kg (55 lb.) Rocna. It has certainly served us well for the last five years, and hundreds of nights on the hook.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta, lewmar, rocna