Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2006, 05:42   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
An Actual Shower stall

I'm looking into boats that have an actaul shower stall seperate from the head. The kind of place that has floor where you could do laundry/ hang wet foulies from the ceiling, etc....

I know Valiants have this feature, who else makes a boat that has one?

If I am going to be living aboard I really would like to be able to take a shower without soaking the TP and having to wipe EVERYTHING down when I'm done. I have some creature comforts that I want to have aboard with me, and a warm shower is defintely one of them. I can deal with short showers and low water use, but it needs to be hot for those days when I'm really cold.

2divers
Old 18-05-2006, 06:30   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I'm pretty sure all manufacturers offer this - it is driven by LOA. Don't expect it in a Catalina 22. I know all the Endeavours I've looked at have at least one separate shower. E40, E42, E43 and E52.
Old 18-05-2006, 07:26   #3

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Most Tayanas can be built / found with an independent shower stall. I have 'separate shower stall and find for long term voyaging its just 'wasted space' and usually place a lot of stores in there. As another poster stated, it all depends on LOA and if you dont mind the wasted space that a separate shower stall adds.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 08:58   #4

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Ok maybe I'm just not getting something

Richhh,
Do you shower on on deck? Are you taking sponge or bucket baths? No offense, but do you bath once a week?

Why is it that you say it's wasted space? If your living on your boat long term, I would think that it would be used daily (or least every other day). I can see a lot of use for a seperate shower.

Mrkpj23 - most of the showers that I see are the combined shower and head with a curtian area. These just don't seem all that practical especially if you are underway and need to get cleaned up. I could see myself getting pitched right through the curtian.

2divers
Old 18-05-2006, 09:40   #5

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Sure I use the shower stall and its damn convenient, I also shower in the cockpit. A separate enclosed shower stall usually has its own grey water sump so that the 'gray shower water' never enters the bilge to make a god-awful rotted stink.
The issue is that a separate shower stall wastes a lot of space ... and on a cruising boat, stowage is important. So on passage I simply shower in the head (after removing all the 'wettables') ... imagine that: having a shower stall (filled with stores) and showering in the head or in the cockpit because stores are more important than little used space of a shower stall. :-)
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 09:53   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
My shower is in the heads, but I dont soak the toilet paper when using it. Plenty of hot water from a gas heater. all contained by use of a full size shower curtain, and sensible siting of the loo paper etc.
Old 18-05-2006, 12:15   #7

My last boat, Niagara 35, had a shower stall. I loved it. Newer models of my present boat, PDQ 36, have a shower like you would have at home.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 14:13   #8

I beg to differ in the approach. The boats I have seen with stall showers have little ventilation in them and they soon smell.

Our head is all high gloss varnish with a removeable teak grate over the fiberglass shower pan. The makes the entire head the shower.... which is a a hand held shower which doubles as the lav faucet. The hand shower has a chit off valve to save water as well.

The TP is in a small locker above the lav and does not get wet.

Yes you DO have to wipe the walls / etc. after showering. But this takes all of 2 minutes and it keeps the head very clean. With a large hatch above ventilation helps in drying the head and it is also pleasant to shower with fresh air in the hot summer.

I find this arrangement an asset and I like the fact that our head in 20 yrs has absolutely no foul odors.

Boats are compromises and our well ventilated heat and V berth can also serve to use for drying clothes etc.

Think about it.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 14:28   #9

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
2Divers - the boats I mentioned have a separate shower stall so you don't have to worry about spraying all over the head. Plexiglass doors on some, curtains on others but still a bulkhead between the stall and the head.
Old 18-05-2006, 14:58   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am planning on installing a hot shower on Insatiable. I had certainly been thinking along the lines of using the existing head space. There is a decent sized hatch (20" x 20") above the head, which will make for decent ventilation, and I just can't see myself justifying the space to put it anywhere else. I am still a little fuzzy on the logistics, but I think I am going to glass in a "gray water sump" below the head....but it merits further pondering, I think.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 16:02   #11

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Shower and Head

I am fitting out a 32' Hartley. I was lucky in that I had a blank canvas, entire below decks was stripped out, and I could layout as I wanted. My planning took some time with thin strips and masking tape to create spaces suitible to our needs.

There was no way, in this size boat, I was ever going to be able to create a separate shower and head without sacrificing an enormous amount of space that in reality is used for a matter of minutes each day. I need the space for other uses.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 17:32   #12

Boat: C&C 27
S2 sailboats don't exactly have a shower stall but many do have tiny bath tubs like one might find in a RV.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 04:55   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
I have to admit I go back and forth on the issue. My boat does not have a separate shower stall. I just spend about 4 weeks cruising down from Annapolis to Stuart FL. A hot shower at the end of each [long] day was a must have. Invictus has the set up that I think Defjef described: teak joinery and fiberglass with a teak grate on the deck, separate sump to pump the graywater out. And a curtain to surround the area. I used it with and without the curtain (putting the handtowel and tp away. At first I thought the curtain a bit too confining (though worked great to keep the compartment dry) and wished for a separate shower. Lateron, I just showered without using the curtain.

I found that the space was fine not using the curtain, I did not feel at all confined. Also found that with the overhead hatch to the compartment opened, it dried fast. So, do not really think about it much now.

I would agree with the poster who said that on a cruising boat, space is a premium. I like the size of this boat, 38 LOA, very convenient, easy to solo, maneuver etc and not to expensive for a marina stay. At this length, not sure a separate shower would be worth the space use.

Interesting to note the post about generating smells (mold?) from a confined shower space....I thing that might be more of an issue than any.

In warm weather....I also have plumbed a cockpit shower in the boat. Reality is that we use that more often when it is warm enough out...which hopefully it will be now forever (as I have moved south).

My best to all

John
s/v Invictus
lying Stuart
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 05:57   #14

Boat: Oday 32 CC Sea Dragon
The Pearson 365 has a seperate shower stall built in. Nice boat. A couple of our friends have them.
Old 19-05-2006, 09:53   #15

Boat: Westsail 32
Many Cabo Ricco's have stall showers
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower