Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-05-2006, 06:02   #31

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09

I can understand about the mold and mildew thing, but like everything esle if you take the time to take care of it and clean it (and it it's designed well not to hold a lot water in nooks and crannies) and it has good ventilation I woulf think it would be an easy thing to make use of every day. I've been thinking about it and I realize that I would really like to be abe able to take a shower every day even outside of the marina. I will just have to make sure that I get good ventilation when I buy a boat that has one.

Getting closer to leaving every day!
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 21:15   #32

Boat: Newport 41 mk II
Newport 41 has a great shower separate from the head.

Shower includes a sit-down seat that works well.

SailorPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 20:33   #33

Gulfstar 44 has a separate shower stall in the aft cabin/stateroom. Very convenient. Very roomy.
Ron D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:31   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 36 Motorsailer & Albin 25 Trawler
Gulfstar 36 also has a separate shower in the aft cabin. Separated from the rest of the head by a shower curtain. Both can be used similtaneously (by two different persons) without an problem. We removed the forward head because the aft one worked fine for just two people.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:16   #35

As does the Gulfstar Hirsh 45.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:33   #36

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
On our last cat we built a combined shower/head into her and found it more generous than a lot of production boats. No pressure water though. Used a 5 litre pump up weed sprayer as a shower. A couole of litres of hot out of the kettle and 3 of cold and that was enough for Carolyn and I to have a hot shower and she has long hair to wash.

Think of the water savings and the weight saving of not carrying all that water. We only had a 25 litre tank in each hull that we carried ashore to fill . Being careful we could make it last a while , never ran out .

Even on the newie i'll have one of these and only have a wasteful shower once a week in our 3 metre x 2.4 metre shower/ bath. The toilet is up fwd in other hull so guests can put up with any odd smells.

cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:10   #37

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
I am trying different ways of installing one on my catalina 27, too, captain K! I think we even have the same model. I am running into the problem that there isn't much room underneath the head for any plumbing.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:27   #38

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We've two heads on our Hanse 461 and the aft one has an adjacent but separate shower stall.
Don't take life too seriously. No ones going to make it out alive......Go see our blog at
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IIRC the Sabre 38 had one interior plan like that, at least I've seen one built that way. As you come down the companionway, if you head forward portside you can head forward. But starboard side, there's a big wet locker/shower compartment so you can conveniently come below and stow your wet gear. or, empty it out and shower.

And the Perason 424 has at least one interior plan where there's a "master" bathroom starboard side of the main cabin, where there's a separate shower area that is partitioned by a curtain and has a drain pan under it. The whole head still will be humid--but the shower area is a separate area the size of a phone booth. Run a vent for a while, and the rest of the room dries out.

You may find it is easier to look for a boat with two heads, and simply turn one of them into a shower only.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 17:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My shower tidbits (I'm on a HC 38):

- Our shower is part and parcel of the head, with a teak drain board under our feet. It flows into a seperate mini bilge, which we have a seperate bilge pump in. If it overflows, it will go into the main bilge, but as long as the pump's switch is working and it has power, it keeps the water out.

- I'm looking at installing a heat exchanger with our cabin heater.

- With the head setup like mine, a neat trick for summer days in the marina (or anywhere you can't be naked on deck), is to use a solar shower, and just strap it on deck. Lead the hoses (you can get extensions) through the portlight or what have you, and then you're set. If you have privacy, just go on deck / in the cockpit.

- Make sure you get a lot air moving around in the head. We have a dorade, a nicro solar vent, and that does a pretty good job of keeping it bone dry.

- Pump a bunch of seawater into the shower bilge to "flush" it of your gross hair, dirt, and sweat, since there's always that 0.5" of water that evaporates and leaves grossness.

I take issue with people who say that showers are some form of luxury. To me, an SSB and fridge are "luxuries", and showers are a requirement. The same people who have a microwave, genset, chart plotter, and other crap don't really have any room to talk.

Be a little more accepting of what people need to be happy, even if it's different than your needs.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 05:24   #41

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Our Mariner 40 has a shower in the head, however, the whole area is set up to get wet without wrecking everything. TP is behind a door, great ventilation as well. The showerhead is hand held and you control the water. The drain is under a teak grate that drains into a seperate tank.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 05:46   #42

Ok, since this thread bubbled to the top again... I have to drop a little input. Once you live on your boat for a while, and if you take showers daily in a small, enclosed space that has little air flow, you WILL get mold. We had it from our charter guests taking showers constantly.

As you move onto a boat and adapt to life at sea (or even at the dock) you'll find yourself showering less and less on the boat because it's a pain. You'll find that you walk up to the marina shower or just baby wipe it. As much as you are trained by western civilizaiton that it's better to shower daily, that is wrong.

Your skin stays softer, younger and is less prone to bug bites when you shower less. There. I admit it. I'm a dirty, stinking sailor.

Seriously, though, there are a lot of alternatives. Again, I know this is hard to picture when you aren't on the boat yet, but: You'll find the swiming off the back with a bottle of shampoo and soap and a quick freshwater rinse gets you every bit as clean as a shower. Also, when you're doing a passage - well, just try showering duing that and let me know how it went. A great alternative is to shower with baby wipes or just a washcloth and a bucket of water. You'll find you can go for a month on full tanks of water if you cut out "showers" and go for other methods of cleaning yourself. That is one of our big secrets to not needing a watermaker. We use 140 gals in 1 month to drink, bathe, wash dishes, etc... I think I just improved on this figure as well, since we have a nice little 200 watt dehumidifier to keep the condensation down while at the dock this winter. It produces a gallon or 2 per day that we now use as the "soapy water" for dishwashing.

PS: Don't even ask about our hot water. I have a ball valve that has been in the "off" position since September or so. Sure, this is a little whacko, but we found the benefits of hot water are not worth the trouble and cost of making it. We use a little bleach (cap full) in dishwater along with soap to kill all bacteria. There are many, many alternatives if you think outside the box a little.
Old 16-12-2006, 07:33   #43

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
While we have not used our shower as of yet, we as much assumed that over time, especially the further South we go, the less we would actually use this feature. And while we are here, our boatyard in Deep River has excellent facilities so I could see us using their hot water, not mine. And besides I would certainly love to have softer skin...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 09:07   #44

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s
I suppose your hygiene habits can change to fit circumstances. Having said that... the Contest we have as a varnished.. very thick.. teak walk thru head. The entire sole is a teak grate over a GRP shower pan. The lav faucet serves as a hand shower with an on off valve to save water when showering. There is a larrge forward facing hatch which provide plenty of venitlation.

We DO us hot water from a 6 gal tank which is either heated by AC current of from circulating engine coolant thriough a transfer coil. TYhe heater give more storage capacity... asssists in cooling the engine and provides a decent amount of hot water. We rarely run out.

Use the entire head, in our case not only lets US get cleaned, but serves to wash the entire head down and remove the nasties which may start to cause odor. Our head has no foul smell ever and is cleaned with a squeegie and chamois after showing. We let some rinse water from say shampooing to fill the head and this too gives a nice soapy fresh water flush at the end too.

We are very pleased with the arrangement. The lockers in the head keep the contents dry and we don't feel cramped, but it is small enough to even shower in a seaway without too much heel... to drain away the gray water we have to flatten the boat by running dead down or up wind.

I find the convenience of a good onboard hot shower more than a convenience... I certainly would not be thrilled about getting out of my berth, dressing, marching off to the marina shower with my kit and clean clothes and so forth on a rainy cold winter day. I'll take a nice hot shower on board thank you. This does mean filling the tanks every week or two which is infinitely more desirable than daily treks to the marina showers.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.. a clean well venitlated boat smell sweet and inviting... same applies to you and yours.

sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 09:20   #45

Of course, Jef, being an upstanding, civilized guy, makes some great points.

Maybe it comes down to what is most important. On a boat, you can't have everything. Everything is a trade off. We talk about it all the time on this board. For us, the small hardships of walking up to the marina do beat jugging our water down to the boat to shower with this winter. Also, when we're cruising, we like to be self-contained to the greatest extent possible. We make a game out of seeing how long we can last without bringing the boat to a dock. Ultimately, that restriction is always fresh water, even at our 140gal per month usage rate.

Anyway, I guess it does come down to what you personally need. I just wanted to voice that opinion above so that the original poster could have another way of looking at his boat shopping. If he's really hell bent on having a "land shower" while at sea, then that's what he'll get. I hoped to impart to him that there are other ways to get the job done. Maybe... just maybe... it might help him to find a boat without the dedicated shower that is $20K less or something.

In any case, I'll sell you mine! ha ha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: