Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-05-2006, 11:18   #16
Senior Cruiser

As mentioned, my E43 Ketch (Endeavour) has a seperate shower stall in the aft head - and, I can actually fully stand up in it - also has a seat. The Irwins are like this in the larger boats also.

Old 19-05-2006, 12:01   #17

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
[quote=John Drake]I have to admit I go back and forth on the issue. My boat does not have a separate shower stall. I just spend about 4 weeks cruising down from Annapolis to Stuart FL. A hot shower at the end of each [long] day was a must have. Invictus has the set up that I think Defjef described: teak joinery and fiberglass with a teak grate on the deck, separate sump to pump the graywater out. And a curtain to surround the area. I used it with and without the curtain (putting the handtowel and tp away. At first I thought the curtain a bit too confining (though worked great to keep the compartment dry) and wished for a separate shower. Lateron, I just showered without using the curtain.

I found that the space was fine not using the curtain, I did not feel at all confined. Also found that with the overhead hatch to the compartment opened, it dried fast. So, do not really think about it much now.

I would agree with the poster who said that on a cruising boat, space is a premium. I like the size of this boat, 38 LOA, very convenient, easy to solo, maneuver etc and not to expensive for a marina stay. At this length, not sure a separate shower would be worth the space use.

Interesting to note the post about generating smells (mold?) from a confined shower space....I thing that might be more of an issue than any.

In warm weather....I also have plumbed a cockpit shower in the boat. Reality is that we use that more often when it is warm enough out...which hopefully it will be now forever (as I have moved south).

I fully intend to make use of a cockpit shower (or install one if I don't have one). I would think that the simplicity of a single shower stall that you can wipe down with relative ease and simplicity, use as storage and drying for wet foulies and many other uses would be an excellent use of space. And if it isn't needed, or needed more as storage space then I can see converting it till certain stores can be used or moved.

I guess part of my question is are they easier to make use of and clean up when you are not on the hook and heeled over 15 degrees and pitching? Personal experiences (or misexperiences) would be welcome. I still intend to be able to shower as I travel from place to place and the weather may not always cooperate with a cockpit shower. My wife has a tendancy to utter small effective curses when she comes in contact with rapid large temperature changes on here bare skin.

I think that everybody can agree that almost all boat shower layouts are functional on the level.

2divers

Old 19-05-2006, 18:22   #18

In addition to the Pearson 365, the Pearson 424 also has a stall shower. Many Perry designs (Valiant 40, Tayana 37 are examples) have them. Some of the larger Morgans and Irwins had bath tubs, which I suppose also doubled as shower stalls. After showering in the cramped and poorly ventilated forward head of our 36 cc ketch for two years, my wife decided our next boat would have to have a stall. But I have noticed many do seem to be used for storage. But hey, at least it's accessible storage....
Old 19-05-2006, 19:01   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Not a high priority for cruisers

2divers,

Hate to disillusion you but even with a separate shower stall you have to wipe it down unless you like mould. I don't have a separate shower stall on my boat but it takes half a minute to wipe the head down after a shower . If you want a place to hang foulies look for a boat with a wet locker, preferrably near the engine compartment. Most cruisers I know that have a separate shower stall use it for storage. If you want to do laundry aboard, a bucket on deck works fine or the galley sink. There are a lot more important features in a cruising boat than shower stalls.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 00:21   #20

I was thinking of rigging some kind of shower system for my 1973 Catalina 27. That I'm planning to live aboard soon.

Since Kai Nui mentioned awhile back here on the forum. That the marina bathroom & showers can be out of order. I would like to have a shower system to fall back on. Just in case something like what Kai mentioned were to happen?

I would have to install a drain at the bottom of the floor. Plumb it. And install a grey water tank. Also install a small 10 gallon water heater into the water system.

Of course, I would wipe and dry down the surfaces. To reduce mold from growing around in that space.

At least that's how I would do it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 04:32   #21

Controlling water temp with hot and cold and also trying to use the minium amount can be accomplished by installing an on / off valve at the base of the handshower.

The idea is that you get the temp tight by mixing hot and cold water and then shut the valve when you are not using the water. Typical boat shower is to wet, then turn the water off, soap up... turn the water on and rinse off. You can save water with the shut off valve and avoid "re mixing" to the correct temperature.

Enclosed stall showers are favorite locations for mold and mildew... They SMELL.
Old 20-05-2006, 07:59   #22

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
My boat is a Pearson 424, which like the 365 cited above, has a built in shower stall. It does not suffer from the ventilation issues that concern DefJef as there is a small hatch overhead. As a matter of fact it is the other part of the head that suffers from lack of ventilation as there is only a small dorage vent in the head part of the head. Most of the ventilation comes from the shower hatch.
Like everything else on a boat, the separate shower stall compromises some other feature. However, anything I might consider in lieu of that shower would have to bring some tremendous value. As a live aboard I use that shower almost every day, even in marinas. It is so much more convenient to not have to schlep a towel, toilet kit and clean clothes several hundred feet or more to a shower that may not be all that clean. Of course i can't take those long soaking hot showers that the marina facilties provide, but I get clean and I don't have to dry off the head before it can be used by any one else. It just requires rinsing after eacd use and cleaning every few days or once a week (just like at home).
As pretty much all of the posts on this thread state, it's a personal thing. If it's important to you, it is a necessity. If it's not important it is a waste of space and one more thing to keep clean. If i were not living on board I'm sure I would not value a shower stall as much as I do now.
Old 20-05-2006, 08:10   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
I definately agree that a hot shower is most important. I also use the onboard shower even when staying in a marina. The boat should be and can be a comfortable home (any size boat...it is all a matter of how you fit her out).

Interesting the comments about using the shower stall as a wet locker. Invictus has two wet lockers, one forward and one inside the aft qtr cabin. So that is not an issue. I would think boats that have a separate shower stall would still have a wet locker???
Old 20-05-2006, 08:18   #24

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
John Drake,
I have just started using my shower stall as a wet locker. I put a couple of hooks on the shower wall. My boat does have a wet locker in the aft cabin, next to the nav station. However, I mounted a computer desk on the door to this locker so it is rather inconvenient to open and close. The shower stall/wet locker works very well so far.

John Stevenson
Old 20-05-2006, 08:22   #25

Boat: CT 47 - Wanderlust
Our CT 47 (Ta Chaio) has a separate shower stall with its own port that opens for airing out and ventilation. We love it.
Old 20-05-2006, 09:13   #26
Senior Cruiser

As mentioned above, I enjoy and prefer to take my showers aboard my boat rather than shlepping everything up to a questionably 'clean' shore shower. I also have a opening & screened port in the shower stall. While I don't wipe down every time, I do squeegie every time - takes about 15 seconds. My forward head also has a shower, but no seperate stall.

Someone also mentioned the valve at the shower head - use that all the time to conserve water - not that I have to, I AM in a marina, in a slip, but it is just a good practice. So, I COULD take a LONG HOT shower, but tend to go for the quicker (but HOT) type.

I also have a solar deck shower bag that works very well.
Old 20-05-2006, 10:56   #27

Bigger Island Packets have seperate showers. The 440 has a shower that will fit 3.
Old 20-05-2006, 11:30   #28

Wow CaptianRic.

You could hold a party in a shower that big!!:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-05-2006, 13:34   #29

Yeah, that's what the salesmen at the boat show said. Invite everyone in the anchorage over! I thought it was kind of a waste of space. I mean...I'd rather have a separate shower from sitting on the head, or a board that swings down over the head, but this thing was huge. Look at it, it takes up the whole bow aft of the anchor lockers!

http://www.ipy.com/Graphics/IP440Interior.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP440Interior.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	108  
Old 20-05-2006, 17:22   #30

Wow!!

I am very impressed, CaptainRic.

Tags
shower

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: