Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 14:47   #16

Re: Amel Super Maramu question

Anybody knows how much will SM 2000 rigging replacement cost? The boat I am looking at is 2001 and she has the original rigging. Thanks.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Kenomac;2632379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
You have it kinda backwards. We’ve had full manual systems on our Hunter, full electric and hydraulic on our Oyster 53, and now full hydraulic on the 62. Nothing could be simpler than pushing buttons and with many fewer opportunities of getting injured. If simplicity is your goal... go with buttons.
Hi Ken,
I just saw you got a new boat, the Oyster 62'.
Congratulations!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Amel Super Maramu question

I would not buy an Amel with the intent of removing the electric motors.
Yes it can be done manually, but from what I saw, that was the emergency mode so to speak, and as it was a back up mode, it wasn’t really set up very well for continuous use.
You could do it, but it looked to be a lot more awkward than a system designed to be manual as its primary operating system.

If you desire a simple Boat, keep looking, I have not heard anyone describe an Amel SM as a simple Boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My standard advice for buying steel boats is that in ADDITION to a good survey you need to do a good survey on your own using a ball peen hammer, big screw driver and flashlight. You want to see ALL of the bilge, ALL. If you can’t see it no one else could and it didn’t get maintained. Don’t skimp. Take you time.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If I were looking at a steel boat, I’d buy an ultrasonic thickness gauge.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 16:04   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A64 I’m not a big fan of them. They only measure in small places and corrosion can be sever in small places. It’s very easy to miss a bad spot of corrosion, say at the end of a stringer. I’m not against them, I just think eyeball inspection is much better. If you find a suspect spot and you want to check? Ya sure for that.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 16:51   #22

I would buy the Amel. To me FRP is relatively maintenance free, versus steel where you cannot leave a chip of paint off, and water in the bilges create rust. With GRP nothing.
I had a look once at a Super Maramu in Whangerei. Had the comfort pack with bigger Yanmar, and not a volvo which to me was a big plus. Boat broker told me this story.
Owner had bought it new and sailed it with his family to NZ. Got a job in Singapore. put the boat on the market 10 years ago for 1MillionNZ$. A year later got offered 750 which he turned down. A year later dropped price to 800. A while later got offered 600 which he turned down. When I looked at it the price was now 400 with no takers. It was with three other Amels in a yard on the left down Port Road in Whangerei.
To see life on an Amel look up SV Delos on Youtube.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:11   #23
cruiser

[QUOTE=Steadman Uhlich;2632405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Hi Ken,
I just saw you got a new boat, the Oyster 62'.
Congratulations!
Thanks Steadman
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 18:36   #24

Quote:
Anybody knows how much will SM 2000 rigging replacement cost? The boat I am looking at is 2001 and she has the original rigging. Thanks.
For detailed questions like this on Amel's your best resource by far is the Amel owners group on Yahoo.

ACMO in France will make a full rig for a Super Maramu about US$5000. If you can install it yourself, that's the cost.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 18:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
For detailed questions like this on Amel's your best resource by far is the Amel owners group on Yahoo.

ACMO in France will make a full rig for a Super Maramu about US$5000. If you can install it yourself, that's the cost.
Thanks for that, I think it is not too bad at all. I will keep this in mind. Cheers.
Old 14-05-2018, 18:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill99 View Post
I would buy the Amel. To me FRP is relatively maintenance free, versus steel where you cannot leave a chip of paint off, and water in the bilges create rust. With GRP nothing.
I had a look once at a Super Maramu in Whangerei. Had the comfort pack with bigger Yanmar, and not a volvo which to me was a big plus. Boat broker told me this story.
Owner had bought it new and sailed it with his family to NZ. Got a job in Singapore. put the boat on the market 10 years ago for 1MillionNZ$. A year later got offered 750 which he turned down. A year later dropped price to 800. A while later got offered 600 which he turned down. When I looked at it the price was now 400 with no takers. It was with three other Amels in a yard on the left down Port Road in Whangerei.
To see life on an Amel look up SV Delos on Youtube.
Yeah, I think you are right. Specially with such a good quality GRP like Amel. I researched and it looks like they never had osmosis , which is great.
I ve seen SV Delos on youtube and I think this boat is amazing. Will make a decision in 2 days.
Old 14-05-2018, 22:43   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

It is be hard to argue Amels aren't very solid functional boats, I've travelled with a number of them and do respect them.

Like all boats some are maintained extremely well others not so. The critical factor for me is condition.

A friend in the last two years has put well over 120k into his Super maramu due to delayed maintenance, another friend has just completed a 17 year circumnavigation and the boat is still in very good condition, he keeps on top of it. Amels are getting old thus tired.

I'm not sure they are immune to osmosis, I've seen one with blisters all over it on the hard in the Philippines, it was the model prior to the super maramu.

Amel owners often are religious about their boats, they secretly know they have the best boats made by God.. Lol, not sure this is true. My mates wife will tell you all day long how well built their Amel is but she doesn't know if the keel is lead or iron?

My point once again, is buy based on condition, a well kept Amel will serve you well, a badly kept Amel will suck your money.

The electric furlers aren't a concern, Amels have been using these systems successfully for a long time.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 15:42   #28

Boat: 41' yawl

[QUOTE=Kenomac;2632379]
Quote:
You have it kinda backwards. We’ve had full manual systems on our Hunter, full electric and hydraulic on our Oyster 53, and now full hydraulic on the 62. Nothing could be simpler than pushing buttons and with many fewer opportunities of getting injured. If simplicity is your goal... go with buttons.

They were talking about simplicity of the systems, not simplicity of the user interface. You know there’s a lot of ‘stuff’ that happens when you click those buttons, right?

Not that I think hydraulics or electric motors are excessively complex...
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:35   #29

For whoever is interested, an update. I 've seen both steel Ganley and Amel SM, again. After seing the steel yacht, I realised it is a very risky business to buy an used steel boat. So many places that you can't inspect, I worked with steel(not boats) and I know it takes just 1 tiny spot where someone dropped a tool , or some other minor defect and then rust can start. What happens if you can't check behind every panel? Boat looked immaculate, but a few spots where you could see fresh paint (toe rails). Trouble is when repaired, he chipped half of the thickness of material. However, somehow I was still interested. Then I saw the Super Maramu and I realized, this is the one!!! The center cockpit with the offset wheel, the engine access,etc etc,really, this Amel was quite a clever guy. Then I talked to the surveyor, and when I said Amel, he was immediately saying, :" man this is a fantastic boat, built like a tank, a serious blue water boat". So, yes, this is the one. Waiting for survey and hopefully I can spend more time on the water instead of getting myself red eyes from hours spent on a computer researching boats:
Thanks every one for your advice.
Old 20-05-2018, 19:53   #30

I was told once that when the Amel factory was introducing a new model, Henri Amel (who left his factory to the workers when he died) would get on board the new boat with supplies and an empty note book. He would do very long passages and fill the notebook with issues/modifications required etc and then return and give the book to the factory to make improvements. They are well respected.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote