Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 21:15   #1

Amel or Island Packet?

I've narrowed it drown to Amel or Island Packet,,,i think! Pros and cons? It will be a liveaboard in Florida and the Caribbean with eventual circumnavigation once kids finish college,... Amels are less expensive.. I'm talking used boats here.. Just looking for opinions and thoughts.. Thank you for the help and insight! Rick
rmorrow1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 06:55   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Amel or island packet?

Greetings and welcome to CF.

Lookie here and see if you need more...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mel-160953.htm

I've lived aboard our Super Maramu for 1 year and it ticks all the boxes. Although she will not get line honours, she is faster than IP's. They don't point very high either (the rigging is very wide being the full width of the boat). Remember the design is meant to be sailed "downwind" and she is great at this point of sail.

Look at the Yacht Amel Owners Group. You must register though.

GL

l
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Interesting choice! I woudn't have thought the Amel would compare with an Island Packet. Very interesting that Amel's are less expensive? Doesn't seem quite right for comparable vintage and size. We've had friends that cruised both. And liked both. Both are seaworthy boats. Pick the one you like & enjoy!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Isn't that like comparing a Ford F150 (IP) to a 4-door performance sedan.
Both are great boats and the good thing about that decision is that you Win with either choices so I wouldn't sweat it....go with what makes you feel Home and comfortable aboard.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 10:18   #5

Check out this one too.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-137037-5.html
Old 16-05-2016, 18:39   #6

There's a couple Amels nearby that I see from time to time. The thing that always strikes me about them is that they a packed with fancy kit, like electric furling sails (all of them, including the mizzen) and loads of modcons everywhere. I think if you want to live aboard AND spend lots and lots of time (and money) fixing things, these must be great boats.

Now that I think about it more, I can't recall ever seeing these local Amels under sail. They seem to be used as motorsailers. I'm not sure why.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 21:01   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Morrow, I think to a large degree the opinions of the responders here will be in a similar ratio as the boats they own, for instance Wikipedia tells me that approx 2200 Island Packets were built and the Amel forum (the other one than Yahoo) shows a figure of over 1800 Amels built.
So the IP clan just wins.

The 2nd link Eleuthera provided is a very good one (1st link didn't work for me). As ThirdDay and Winterlude sort of said: you can't go wrong with either, but that is just my opinion as well.... I have not owned either, still looking.

I doubt if there are many sailors who have owned both an Amel and IP in a similar size. His/her opinion should be worth listening to, but likely that sailor would favour his current boat.
Old 16-05-2016, 23:50   #8

Boat: searching...

I lived two years on a IP380 and after that my next boat will most probably be an Amel...or...

No doubt, I liked the IP very much, particular the comfort down below. Reasons for tending towards Amel are the following:
- I would like to see a bit more speed for the same size
- I think nothing beats the access of the systems on a Amel (Tanks Access is on most IP's a nightmare). In general, Amel makes maintenance a breeze, no wood, lots of stuff redundant, engine access, I think it cannot get much better - I like my gadgets and they need maintenance, hence I would not go with an IP anymore where everything is more cramped into different corners...

In General
- Both boats have, what others may call odd features, but I think most of them make sense and are well integrated
- IP is amazing when it comes to draft....
- If you like a newer Amel you will need to go bigger as there are no smaller ones produced anymore- that comes with the usual uplift in cost and hassle - in fact the only drawback I personally see with an Amel, I do not need above 50 ft and would be happy with 45 or so ft...which brings me optional to a HR 46 which I think its close in terms of my personal preferences, but I hate teak decks and all the other wood on deck...but this is an entry other story....

good luck!
M.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 01:25   #9

Swisscraft, Amel makes a very nice 46 footer called the Maramu.

Yachtworld will show you a few..

Cheers,
Old 17-05-2016, 01:41   #10

Boat: searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Swisscraft, Amel makes a very nice 46 footer called the Maramu.

Yachtworld will show you a few..

Cheers,

Indeed nice boat but I said if y like a newer one :-) I think the 46ft Maramu's are close to 30 years old by now...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 03:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Amel and IP are totally different boats, for different purposes.

IP is a conventional cruising boat in layout and equipment, with the one unusual feature being the full keel which makes the boat especially strong and seaworthy, and seakindly, but also slow and difficult to maneuver in harbor.

Amel Super Maramu is a purpose-built long distance ocean-crosser, especially made and totally equipped for circumnavigations and long term living aboard. Totally different beast. I assume it's the Super Maramu is what you're looking at?

What you choose depends on what kind of cruising you plan to do. If you're not planning to cross oceans, and don't mind the sailing performance of the IP, and like the layout etc., then the IP would be a decent choice. For everything else, however, no question -- the Amel.

In comparable condition (N.B!) the Amel will be more expensive, but is still an astonishingly good bargain considering the level of equipment. You can easily double the cost of a standard cruising boat, equipping it for long distance, long term cruising, but the Amel already has everything.

Even if you are only planning to knock around the coast, like most cruisers, the Amel would be perfectly decent for that, even if the level of equipment is overkill for that use. Sailing performance will be better than the IP, but the Amel has a low, very easily handled ketch rig, so sailing is pretty effortless.

The Amels are quirky and the aesthetics are not for everyone (including me), but they are awesome boats, quite uniquely suited to their purpose.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 03:27   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Indeed nice boat but I said if y like a newer one :-) I think the 46ft Maramu's are close to 30 years old by now...
If you want an Amel, the Super Maramu is the way to go.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 17-05-2016, 03:31   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
There's a couple Amels nearby that I see from time to time. The thing that always strikes me about them is that they a packed with fancy kit, like electric furling sails (all of them, including the mizzen) and loads of modcons everywhere. I think if you want to live aboard AND spend lots and lots of time (and money) fixing things, these must be great boats.

Now that I think about it more, I can't recall ever seeing these local Amels under sail. They seem to be used as motorsailers. I'm not sure why.
If you're going to circumnavigate and live on your boat for 3 or 4 years at a time, none of that "fancy kit" or "mod cons" is going to seem superfluous to you. That's what Amels are made for, and there is no equipment unnecessary for that purpose.

They are not racers, with a low, conservative rig, but they are great sailers, made to swallow up oceans under sail with short handed crews. They are definitely not motorsailers.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-05-2016, 03:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
. . . In general, Amel makes maintenance a breeze, no wood, lots of stuff redundant, engine access, I think it cannot get much better . . . .
+1

I have never seen a series-produced boat, which is so thoroughly engineered and designed for ease of maintenance and repair, as an Amel. The whole boat is specifically designed for a couple cruising the world in nearly complete autonomy. Taking account of absolutely all the practical realities of this kind of cruising.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-05-2016, 03:41   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Amels always have appeared to be good used boat deals and IPs have always seemed like bad deals, at least to me. I think Amels are the better cruiser boat overall, but you definitely get the one your heart likes better!

One other in mind, while IP supposedly is still in business I feel it is very up in the air what its' future is. This is a factor in model support if you later need it.

Tags
island packet