Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2016, 09:05   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Amel or Island Packet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's an excellent promotional video for the new Amel 54. (...)
54 is an old model. 55 is the now model in their 50 range.

I will shortcircuit your possible question and say no they have not sorted out the dinghy: either those horrible Oyster style davits or the roof. I prefer it on the roof but this can be only played with a rather light dinghy.

Since so many users rely on oversize ribs to fit their oversize outboards ... many WILL end up with those davits. ;-(

I think if one insists on dinghy convenience, they want the 64.

BTW Buyer aware I helped packing a dink into one, it is not the biggest garage in the world and would not be my choice either.

BTW2 Buyer 2 aware on 54 a ding does not fit in between the mast and the stay either ;-( ;-(

I have a 100% bombproof solution for both but each owner must fit things out to their own standards.

b.

Old 30-05-2016, 09:12   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Together with the hopeless davits ;-)

Cheers,
b.

Old 30-05-2016, 10:19   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
[url
Together with the hopeless davits ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Once again..... were is the elusive dinghy? Does their dinghy also magically appear at every anchorage?

Im jokin' about this, but the entire dinghy issue is a rather big consideration when deciding to go cruising and choosing a boat or the dinghy itself. It's basically more important than a car. I can get by and get around without a car, but without a working dinghy... We're kind of stuck on the boat.
Old 30-05-2016, 11:19   #94

Boat: Amel sold. In the market for a "new" sailboat

I prefer to have the dinghy on davits because it gives me easy access to it and also quick access in case I would need it fast. When we sail in rough weather we store it on the foredeck fully inflated, which could come in handy in case of a knockdown or worse.

Yeah the garage on the Amel 64 looks cool doesn't it, but it's yet another one of those things that can break and cause problems with all the electronics, it also eats up a lot of space, space that could have been used for other things, at the end of the day the garage is more for aesthetical reasons than for practical reasons.

Ninja edit.
I don't like the Amel 64 very much and I think it would have been better if Amel had opted for a 40 foot version instead.
Old 30-05-2016, 12:54   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Once again..... were is the elusive dinghy? Does their dinghy also magically appear at every anchorage?

Im jokin' about this, but the entire dinghy issue is a rather big consideration when deciding to go cruising and choosing a boat or the dinghy itself. It's basically more important than a car. I can get by and get around without a car, but without a working dinghy... We're kind of stuck on the boat.
Yep.

To me, it is only a dinghy choice. I am fit and I love to paddle it. I do not use an outboard much as I can envision a small electric one, one day. I am not 100% certain my partner is too much into doing it navy seals style when the shore is half a mile upwind and a good trade wind is blowing!

To many cruisers, a good rib / outb kit is a must. Then a way to handle / hoist / store the dinghy counts big way.

Also, a good rib/outb kit considerably extends how much exploration can be done from the mother ship. NICE. VERY.

I LOVE garages but I have seen a few that were not built right (e.g. getting flooded in the seaway. If I were to chose a garage vs. davits boat, I would nearly for sure end up with an Amel 64 or anything else that has a garage. However, I would want the garrage to host a dinghy WITH THE ENGINE ON IT. Now, this is not always attainable in sub maxi size esp. considering that many owners overspec the dinghy ...

Interestingly, big racers with open cockpits and two wheels are capable of hoisting and carrying the dinghy in the cockpit ... again, very nice and gives you a sweet, open air passage bunk!

Systems, systems. Everything leads to something and nothing leads to the right lotto numbers!

Cheers,
b.
Old 29-08-2017, 15:08   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
When we see a familiar boat on the horizon or in an anchorage while arriving, we can recognize it as an IP by the jerry jugs. Their tankage seems to be small. Damn fine boat though.
Are you speaking of smaller Island Packets? Any IP from 420 and bigger have exact or bigger tank sizes as Amel...

Tags
island packet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: