Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2016, 10:13   #61

Re: Amel or Island Packet?

Does a winch last 10 years? Cost to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 29-05-2016, 10:13   #62

To go back to the OP's original question. I think the Amel is the easy winner for his circumnavigation with his wife over an IP. That's what Amel's are for. There are better choices if you plan to primarily be in a marina or long term at anchor.

I like IP's but consider them a slightly better than average build quality coastal cruiser design that can safely go offshore -- as can many Beneteau designs. Oysters, Shannons, HR's, Morris, and Valiants (post '84 blisters) are just some examples of both better built and better blue water. As, of course, are Dashew's boats.

A huge advantage of Amel is that the company is very stable and has a long reputation of excellent customer support. IP's business is on the ropes and it's unclear if the new owner will survive either.

Finally, I don't think the OP should imagine an Amel will be much different in cost than a similiar length/age IP to buy and equip for a safe circumnavigation. All systems (rigging, engine, sails) have life spans. But with the current euro-dollar exchange rate, repair parts directly from Amel should be quite reasonable.

And as the crew of S/V Delos prove, you can have a really good time cruising on an Amel.

Old 29-05-2016, 11:14   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post

If properly cared for, our Lewmar Ocean winches will out-live my wife and I. I'm sure cheaper ones can be found that will turn to crap in less than 10 years, but you'd probably need to abuse them quite a bit.
Old 29-05-2016, 11:25   #64

Quote:

My Lewar 46 are 30 years old, just getting started on their next 30.

A really odd question.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 11:59   #65

The amel winches are all electric. My winches are also 30 years old.

Old 29-05-2016, 12:15   #66

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
The amel winches are all electric. My winches are also 30 years old.

You are very good at quoting errors... I have one pair of electric winches... the genoa Lewmar 56 ST electric. Still like new.
Old 29-05-2016, 12:19   #67

In three years, I plan on buying another boat and sailing her for three summers before taking her into new waters. Amel is on my short list. I agree great boat but complex. Electric curlers, winches, three reefer systems, 24 volt wiring and made in France. I would like to upkeep costs from someone who has owned one. I am out on my boat now. Logged 40 miles yestarday and will do 50 today before anchoring

Old 29-05-2016, 12:23   #68

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

When we see a familiar boat on the horizon or in an anchorage while arriving, we can recognize it as an IP by the jerry jugs. Their tankage seems to be small. Damn fine boat though. Amel, that would be my choice. If I was to limit my sailing to a specific area, say Bahamas, or E Caribbean I would consider a cat, but only a Catana. The Amel is very similar to Gilana, except we are a bespoke boat, there was only one ever built. (...and we only pounded one time ever)

The Amel, imho is the BEST production, fibreglass, monohull, world cruiser for the price. Tested design, revised and improved over the years, with great worldwide support, and low maintenance despite the electric furlers etc.

The IP is a beautiful boat, well made, and we like them a lot.

We would choose the Amel in your case, for many reasons.
Old 29-05-2016, 12:23   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
In three years, I plan on buying another boat and sailing her for three summers before taking her into new waters. Amel is on my short list. I agree great boat but complex. Electric curlers, winches, three reefer systems, 24 volt wiring and made in France. I would like to upkeep costs from someone who has owned one. I am out on my boat now. Logged 40 miles yestarday and will do 50 today before anchoring

Why would you want electric curlers on your boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	125152  
Old 29-05-2016, 13:20   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

The ones made of rubber or plaster last 2 to 5 years only.

The ones made in bronze and SS last as long as a boat does. I think quality winches will outlive a grp hull.

Price list attached. In many years of sailing the only part that broke on me was a Harken 'Control Box' (USD 259) that I was able to buy off the Italian manufacturer at USD 60.

Harken Electric Winches | MAURI PRO SAILING

Most if not all electric winches are also fully manual and so any failure is irrelevant to operating the boat (unless you are managing huge loads).

b.
Old 29-05-2016, 13:32   #71

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:

Here are some real world costs from a couple that just completed a circumnavigation on an Amel Super Maramu 2000......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Costs for Website 2016.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	125173  
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 13:40   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

Similar to any other boat of same size and quality.

No teak hence no teak replacing cost in 10 to 20 years. This can be offset towards boats like HR and Oy.

Amels are not complex boats, they are simple boats. Talk to the boatyard they will be willing to customize your boat somewhat, if you want fewer electric systems.

Cheers,
b.
Old 29-05-2016, 14:54   #73

The Amels I have been on have several what appears to be proprietary pieces of gear but it's simple stuff and I'm told easy to repair and replace without factory support. When you start operating 50 foot boats offshore it's not so bad to have some help..their manual backups also work well so your not a slave to the electronics. The fake plastic teak decks you can keep, it's hot and serves no purpose other than looking fake. I actually find the layout belows very practical for the purpose they were designed for. The hull and deck are one piece and that's got my vote big time, never any leaks even after thousands off tough offshore miles. Cockpit layout looks funky to begin with but the more you eye ball it the more sense it makes. Good protection while underway. To my mind the ketch rig is the second best idea but many love it, it does keep the rig small and easier to handle, I'm just not a ketch fan unless it's a rig the size of a a Dashew boat. The boat is not a speed demon but it doesn't take much to pass IP's does it. The Amel turns in decent daily passage times all the while making the passage making easy peasy.
Old 29-05-2016, 15:13   #74

Hello - I own an Island Packet 485 - so I am biased, but when I purchased her Amels, Oysters, Moodys, and HBs were on my lisit. I was eventually sold on the Island Packet for two reasons - storage and strength.

The first reason has proved correct. I think if you are going to long term cruise it is astonishing how much kit you want. Now to be fair that may not be true of everyone - but so far I have accumulated a diving compressor, couple of folding bikes, inflatable canoe, windsurfer, and various other ad hoc equipment. Without the huge lazarette on the IP I just dont know where everything would go! There is even room for a full sized washing machine.

I think there is a good balance between mod cons and not overdoing the equipment. Power winches are there were you need them, but the furling operates off the power winches so there isnt too much to go wrong. Electric vacuflush loos and a "proper" chest fridge and freezer are great, and the navigation area is to die for - and it is surprising the dark hours you while away at the chart table!

They may not be the fastest yachts, but they are amazingly sea kindly. I have sailed a fair few types and there is no doubt when the going gets tough the you will notice it in many of the others but the ride of the IP is noticeably different. Big water and fuel tanks are another bonus.

So I have found there is a lot going for the IP, especially if you want a very comfortable yacht on which to live aboard.

.. .. .. and some of the often heard comments above manouvering it are simply not true. OK, you may resort to the bow thruster occasionally but certainly the 485 manouvers without any problems at all and can be "parked" into any tight finger berth as well as any other yacht.
Old 29-05-2016, 15:41   #75

Good reason to be bias, the IP 485 is a nice cruising boat.

Tags
island packet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: