Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 09:44   #31
cruiser

Re: Amel or Island Packet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello kenomac,

Lets just say my thing is monohull thank you. You have a nice boat BTW!!
Thanks.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:52   #32

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The Med is not a cat friendly area with the steep waves, talked to a couple of owners when in Gibraltar who had sailed up the Med and they were really looking forward to getting out of there.
and @ Eleuthra 2014 ^

Guys your neg Cat bias is plainly obvious but really???

Sailing into 2 meter steep (square waves) is not friendly to or comfortable in any typical cruising boat talked about on this forum,
mono or multi makes no difference.
An Amel 53 or whatever your sailing is NOT immune to those conditions.

Your comment that the Med is not a Cat friendly area is like saying that the Bahamas is not a monohull friendly area, totally ridiculous....

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:56   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
and @ Eleuthra 2014 ^

Guys your obvious neg Cat bias is plainly obvious but really???

Sailing into 2 meter steep (square waves) is not friendly to or comfortable in any typical cruising boat talked about on this forum,
mono or multi makes no difference.
An Amel 53 or whatever your sailing is NOT immune to those conditions.

Your comment that the Med is not a Cat friendly area is like saying that the Bahamas is not a monohull friendly area, totally ridiculous....

Bob
Bob,

Please take your attitude and chip over to the multihull forum. Amels and Island Packets are being discussed here. I made the original comment in favor of cats, now your attitude might actually turn the OP off to them.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Bob,

Please take your attitude and chip over to the multihull forum. Amels and Island Packets are being discussed here.

Thanks

Ken
Actually Ken you are discussing Cats in the last few replies and I don't have a "chip" anymore than you do, I am commenting on this thread as I have owned and sailed big and small monos all my life.
Take a deep breath Ken...

Bob
Old 26-05-2016, 10:02   #35

Bob, don't be so insecure, I'm not making up this story. Cats make great cruisers and I like many of them a lot but motoring into the Med head seas are not comfortable in a Cat. Some flat bottomed monos are not much better.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:08   #36

Robert sailor, not sure what the insecure part is about but I guess if somebody who has owned and sailed both in all types of conditions decides to reply to comments, you are obviously insecure about that...

I stand by what I said earlier, your boat included...

Bob
Old 26-05-2016, 10:21   #37

When someone has something to say that threatens your your own views of the world to the point that you feel a strong need to issue a counterpoint it suggests some form of insecurity. When waves are slamming into the bridge deck of a Cat it is uncomfortable and if on a passage makes it very hard to sleep sometimes. Is this something that you disagree with? Many monos are shaped in such a way that they do not slam going up wind in the same conditions, so little noise and no slamming. Most of the new entry level production boats are beamy and have flat set ions carried forward, they do slam in short steep waves but in my experience nothing quite does it any better than a Cat with a low bridge deck. Yes in all cases some of this can be mitigated by falling of and sailing a lower and longer course.
Old 26-05-2016, 10:24   #38

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

there goes the neighborhood
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:28   #39

Why cats get into a discussion of monos always amazes me. Heck, read the title of the topic.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:31   #40

OP - you could always get an Amel 46 and an IP 46, and custom bridge them together to make your own cat!!

*edit: but then it would suck in the Med, so nevermind
Old 26-05-2016, 10:49   #41

Quote:
When someone has something to say that threatens your your own views of the world to the point that you feel a strong need to issue a counterpoint it suggests some form of insecurity. When waves are slamming into the bridge deck of a Cat it is uncomfortable and if on a passage makes it very hard to sleep sometimes. Is this something that you disagree with? Many monos are shaped in such a way that they do not slam going up wind in the same conditions, so little noise and no slamming. Most of the new entry level production boats are beamy and have flat set ions carried forward, they do slam in short steep waves but in my experience nothing quite does it any better than a Cat with a low bridge deck. Yes in all cases some of this can be mitigated by falling of and sailing a lower and longer course.
Robert sailor... you have a very odd? strange? okay different, perception of how fellow posters interact on this forum, imho.
"threatens" and "insecurity" are behaviours that I would apply to people I actually know and observe not to people exchanging ideas on an internet forum, have we ever met?

How many Cats have you owned and/or sailed extensively in all conditions as well as monos...? to make the above categorizations?

and Stu and Ddabs, please review the previous posts carefully...

Bob
Old 26-05-2016, 11:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Robert sailor... you have a very odd? strange? okay different, perception of how fellow posters interact on this forum, imho.
"threatens" and "insecurity" are behaviours that I would apply to people I actually know and observe not to people exchanging ideas on an internet forum, have we ever met?

How many Cats have you owned and/or sailed extensively in all conditions as well as monos...? to make the above categorizations?

and Stu and Ddabs, please review the previous posts carefully...

Bob
OK I'll answer your questions and then I'm no longer interested in continuing this conversation on someone's else's thread on his choice of monohulls.

I have never owned a cat although it would be fun.

I have sailed on several different cats but even that experience is limited.
I have sailed on a Cat when the bridge deck was being hit by waves and while it may have been better to be able to say that I have experienced this hundreds of times I'm ok with having done it once. I have sailed in the company of many cats and because of my interest I have spent many hours talking with very experienced Cat owners about the pros and cons of the different brands,sailing qualities etc. I have learned that all cats can slam when the conditions are right and I can tell you that while I only sailed the Med for 2 years I know that the seas there are not cat friendly when going upwind in any kind of blow.
I have owned many monohulls over the years and have sailed most of the world's oceans.
Ok back to the subject on mono choices.
Old 26-05-2016, 11:15   #43

Back on topic- OP... I don't know what your time frame is... but I highly suggest going to a boat show (Miami Strictly Sail in particular) if you're interested. This year they had the new Amel 55 and I [think] an IP or two. Any way - a great way to check out the models. The Annapolis show is coming up in October.
Old 26-05-2016, 12:01   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

So.

What are the odds at this point?

Which design is the winner for you?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 12:05   #45

Quote:
OK I'll answer your questions and then I'm no longer interested in continuing this conversation on someone's else's thread on his choice of monohulls.

I have never owned a cat although it would be fun.

I have sailed on several different cats but even that experience is limited.
I have sailed on a Cat when the bridge deck was being hit by waves and while it may have been better to be able to say that I have experienced this hundreds of times I'm ok with having done it once. I have sailed in the company of many cats and because of my interest I have spent many hours talking with very experienced Cat owners about the pros and cons of the different brands,sailing qualities etc. I have learned that all cats can slam when the conditions are right and I can tell you that while I only sailed the Med for 2 years I know that the seas there are not cat friendly when going upwind in any kind of blow.
I have owned many monohulls over the years and have sailed most of the world's oceans.
Ok back to the subject on mono choices.
The Med, Carribean, Pacific, North Atlantic, Great Lakes, Chesapeake Bay... pick these or any body of navigable water you like can and do produce conditions that will make All Monos slam ,bang, crash... pick your undesirable on board experiences... and will make All Multis do the same.

"while I only sailed the Med for 2 years I know that the seas there are not cat friendly when going upwind in any kind of blow"

This statement is a ridiculous unsupported generalization that if I substituted "mono" for "cat" would make it as relevant...

Cruisers Forum is a great place for the exchange and read of ideas, experience and saying hello to fellow people sharing a like minded passion that I have mostly enjoyed over the years.
It is also, at times a very negative place that displays narrow minded, "I know more than you" sometimes personal attacks (which I have participated in), and many have left because of it.

I particpated in this thread because as stated earlier I have experience with both, much more with Monos but I have owned my present boat for 8+ years and crewed, delivered, raced on many others that are commonly being talked about here.
I offered up my opinions and challenges to replies posted here and I am branded an Insecure Cat lover who "better run along" and let us talk Monos because your ideas are irrelevant.
There are many(most!) present owners of monos on this Forum who seem to coexist and enjoy exchanging ideas with people who own or are considering owning a Multi of some type.
To the original poster, please consider a multi as a potential type of sailing boat and there are many great, balanced threads on CF or start one yourself and you will receive some great info to help with your decision. I am sorry that the opinions expressed by the Mono owners above are definately not balanced imho.

Bob

Tags
island packet