Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 00:58   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Amel 54

I'm kind of curious.... How many Amel 54's there out there?

We have been anchored next to one at cove in Turkey and another just like it pulled up and anchored next to it. They had two different country flags and didn't know each other.

They are beautiful boats, but I didn't know there were that many out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2584182276.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	68124
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Amel 54

Although sold in small numbers compared to most production boats they are very common sight in anchorages. I think this reflects that most people that purchase a boat like this go cruising rather than sitting in a marina.
The latest model is the 55 they also have larger one 64 (I think), but they have been steadily evolving and growing in size over the years.

Great boats, expensive, but still good value for money if you want to buy new. Very quirky so you either love them (and the companies philosophy) or hate them.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Although sold in small numbers compared to most production boats they are very common. I think this reflects that most people that purchase a boat like this go cruising rather than sitting in a marina.
The latest model is the 55 they also have larger one 64 (I think), but they have been steadily evolving and growing in size over the years.

Great boats, good value for money new but very quirky so you either love them (and the companies philosophy) or hate them.
I suppose if you call a 50 footer , for near a million euros " good value" lol

Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 01:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Great boats, expensive, but still good value for money if you want to buy new. Very quirky so you either love them (and the companies philosophy) or hate them.
I find them absolutely hideous, but they have a fanatical following, almost like a religious sect.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
They are totally equipped with everything you could probably ever think of for cruising, with I think zero options. If you add up what it would all cost to put onto a typically equipped production boat, I bet it doesn't look too bad.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
I made the point because many people are shocked by the sticker price, but the boats are sold fully equipped you can step on board with some clothes and go cruising. The systems work and don't need upgrading. They also hold their second hand value very well.
A 55 foot new boat that can be handled easily solo in ready to cruise configuration is never going to be cheap.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I made the point because many people are shocked by the sticker price, but the boats are sold fully equipped you can step on board with some clothes and go cruising. The systems work and don't need upgrading. They also hold their second hand value very well.
A 55 foot new boat that can be handled easily solo in ready to cruise configuration is never going to be cheap.
I've sailed one , its an acquired taste

Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 02:09   #8

I did notice that one had an anchor chain washer and I started a separate thread on that - seems like a great idea.

These were both 54' ketches. I kinda think they look good.

Their advertising method has always been interesting to me ... Just one broker apparently sells them - Joel Potter (sp?) , and the broker does full page ads in the sailing mags.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post

Their advertising method has always been interesting to me ... Just one broker apparently sells them - Joel Potter (sp?) , and the broker does full page ads in the sailing mags.
I don't think they sell them, you have got to prove you are worthy before you are allowed to order one.

Don't expect to be able to choose modifications, or options. If you are very nice to them, can speak French and have some contacts in high places they might let you to decide the seat colours from a couple of alternatives.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:43   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I don't think they sell them, you have got to prove you are worthy before you are allowed to order one.

Don't expect to be able to choose modifications, or options. If you are very nice to them, can speak French and have some contacts in high places they might let you to decide the seat colours from a couple of alternatives.
Now ain't that the truth , I had a factory tour one time , I beleive since Henry Amel died its still a co-operative worker owned business ( I mean horror how could any right thinking American buy one )

What I didn't like was the profusion of custom parts. While I know Amel are good its still a. Issue for the likes of me.

I did like the tanks gauges though !! ( and hated the chart table layout )

They will do sone limited customisation , I saw one Amel with a fancy custom CD rack. !!!!!!

Very complex boat , with lots of systems and appliances to maintain.

dave
Old 03-10-2013, 02:55   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I came close to buying an Amel 54 and an Amel Super Maramu twice. I love the boat, the concept, the finish but unfortunately I found them all aesthetically unpleasing and opted to look at other boats.

I see quite a few of them in the Caribbean, both older and newer models. They are hardy and tend to travel quite a bit.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lot of their parts are custom. If you break anything say a furler you don't find a local Profurler dealer you ring Amel and they ship the part out to you.

The good news is that the customer service is excellent, the factory knows exactly what part is needed because all the boats are identical.

Like everything about the boat it is very different to a normal production boat.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I came close to buying an Amel 54 and an Amel Super Maramu twice. I love the boat, the concept, the finish but unfortunately I found them all aesthetically unpleasing and opted to look at other boats.

I see quite a few of them in the Caribbean, both older and newer models. They are hardy and tend to travel quite a bit.
Yeah I could never get used to the ultra high gloss " plasticky " interior wood look. Not to mention the fake teak decks. But it's all part of the funny/ quirky Amel thinking .

Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I love those boats too, but then I have a thing for French boats built by guys named Henri.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:25   #15

I've never been in one but would like to now. I did like the chain washer though.