Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 14:22   #76

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Since we are talking about Davits and Dinghy...

I will be getting the Highfield CL-340 aluminum hull dinghy and 20hp Honda with electric start (for my wife), wheels with solid tires, nav lights and chaps.

Here is the CL-310 on the davits.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 14:35   #77
cruiser

May I make a suggestion? Go with the Highfield dinghy console steering/bench seat option on the CL340. Much more comfortable but it will goof up your davit solar arrangement. We’ve also found that had we placed solar panels in the way you suggest, they would’ve gotten in the way of many activities and procedures. You’ll be surprised at how many times per day while out cruising you’re going to need access to the inside of the dinghy while it’s raised up in the davits. It becomes the place to put trash bags, fuel cans, fenders, a walk over onto a stern tie Med mooring, and sometimes just to tie the dinghy down better.

Placing the solar panels flush with the top of the davits is a choice you’ll come to regret on your first week out... but it probably seems like an excellent idea now.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 14:36   #78

This is the Highfield Classic 340.

Wheels with solid tires.

20hp 4-stroke Honda and quick-unplug starting battery in enclosure mounted off the dinghy floor. I debated getting an EFI outboard (Suzuki, Mercury or Tohatsu) but I decided to get something that is proven and can be fixed easier. I have no doubt that in few years, carburetors on outboards will become a thing of the past.

Battery operated bow nav light. There is a removable stern nav light.

Old 15-12-2018, 14:45   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
May I make a suggestion? Go with the Highfield dinghy console steering/bench seat option on the CL340. Much more comfortable but it will goof up your davit solar arrangement.
Thank you for the suggestion. I opted for a lighter setup for now. I want to be able to drag the dinghy on the beach somewhat easily. The tires might need to be wider for that, but we'll see...

I may add the console/bench later. I will add larger davit solar panels, raise them and make them tilt-able at the same time.
Old 15-12-2018, 14:51   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I opted for a lighter setup for now. I want to be able to drag the dinghy on the beach somewhat easily. The tires might need to be wider for that, but we'll see...

I may add the console/bench later. I will add larger davit solar panels, raise them and make them tilt-able at the same time.
We own the same dinghy. With that Honda outboard, it’s still going to weigh nearly 250 pounds. Don’t forget to add the fuel weight, extra fuel can weight, battery weight, plus all the extra crap you’ll be going ashore with. More likely 325 pounds. The console won’t make it any more difficult than it will already be.

Good luck dragging 325-350 pounds up the beach. Again... your plan sounds good on paper.

The 20hp outboard is a good choice for your 50 footer; we recently upgraded the outboard to a 40hp two stroke in order to be able to push or pull our 35 ton boat.
Old 15-12-2018, 14:55   #81

Quote:
We own the same dinghy. With that Honda outboard, it’s still going to weigh nearly 250 pounds. Don’t forget to add the fuel weight, extra fuel can weight, battery weight, plus all the extra crap you’ll be going ashore with. More likely 325 pounds. The console won’t make it any more difficult than it will already be.

Good luck dragging 325-350 pounds up the beach. Again... your plan sounds good on paper.
I had the AB Inflatables version of the CL-340 for my Lagoon. I was able to drag it on most places... But, the wheels were wider. So, we'll see.

I'm fairly strong and the CL-340 has 3 handles at the bow for people to give a hand!
Old 15-12-2018, 14:58   #82
cruiser

The wheel kit looks interesting, who makes it? And is that a battery/bilge pump kit installed? Who makes that?
Old 15-12-2018, 14:59   #83

Quote:
We’ve also found that had we placed solar panels in the way you suggest, they would’ve gotten in the way of many activities and procedures. You’ll be surprised at how many times per day while out cruising you’re going to need access to the inside of the dinghy while it’s raised up in the davits. It becomes the place to put trash bags, fuel cans, fenders, a walk over onto a stern tie Med mooring, and sometimes just to tie the dinghy down better.

Placing the solar panels flush with the top of the davits is a choice you’ll come to regret on your first week out... but it probably seems like an excellent idea now.
Yeah, you are right... I can see it.

At this time, I want to keep things simple and have Amel install things. After I use the boat more, I am sure, I will be changing quite a few things. I believe it will be simple enough to have someone fabricate aluminum brackets to raise the solar panels.

Regarding Med mooring, the panels do not extend past the width of the davits. The passarelle can be mounted on either side of the davits and the dinghy can be lowered to be under the passarelle.
Old 15-12-2018, 15:04   #84
cruiser

Yes, anything smelly or with the posibility of leaking, goes directly into the dinghy while awaiting disposal onshore. You need access from the top.
Old 15-12-2018, 15:10   #85

Quote:
The wheel kit looks interesting, who makes it? And is that a battery/bilge pump kit installed? Who makes that?
I am not sure about the wheel kit brand. I will ask.
The enclosure is for the starting battery (motorcycle). The dealer, Bruno, installs the battery this way. There is a quick disconnect option, in case you want to remove the engine easier. I believe that's the line you see in the picture that may look like a bildge pump. I do not remember a bildge pump but it would be easy to add.

Here is the Dinghy dealer info:
Bruno Mounier
Nautique Services, La Rochelle
nautiqueservice@orange.fr
Old 15-12-2018, 15:15   #86
cruiser

Thanks for the dinghy stern photos, it’ll make buying the right jack plate to accomodate this bad boy much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97F7ECE0-B403-408F-920C-B89D2569475A.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	182302  
Old 15-12-2018, 15:17   #87

Quote:
Thanks for the dinghy stern photos, it’ll make buying the right jack plate to accomodate this bad boy much easier.
Holy Cow! That's some serious HP! You'll be able to tow your boat with that.
Old 15-12-2018, 15:21   #88
cruiser

That’s the idea. Situations have occured three times on the 53 where having at least 25hp would’ve been nice over the 15hp we had. I don’t understand why so many on this forum look at having only the minimum hp just to putt into town.
Old 15-12-2018, 15:34   #89
cruiser

One more suggestion: Install some up and down LED spreader lights with a color controller while the boat is being built. It’s nice to be able to leave them turned on while in anchorages for security and to not get hit by nightime boaters.
Old 15-12-2018, 15:41   #90

Quote:
The wheel kit looks interesting, who makes it?
I did a quick internet search and the dinghy wheels look like:

BROCRAFT DELUXE FLIP-UP DINGHY WHEELS

The rims/tires look different. I have not been able to find the manufacturer website.