Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 09:08   #226

Boat: 2020 Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

@Boom23 -

Thank you for your input and kind responses both to this thread and to my personal emails to you.

Yesterday I placed my initial deposit buying a Dec. 2020 delivery slot for an Amel 50! This thread played a key role in helping me make this decision. It's easily the most expensive gift I've ever given myself (and my wife), but I couldn't be more excited!

I'm eagerly awaiting your updates re. your delivery process, and I'm meeting Antoine in Mamaroneck at the end of May to spend 2 days on the first 50 to enter the US and begin to finalize the specific build list.

I'd really love to see two things from your build if you get a chance:
1) the details around the solar installation on the hard dodger as I'm going to ask them to do the same.
2) more detail around the extra storage in the master stateroom (as opposed to the seat + desk)

to the rest of you on this thread... I'll be doing at least two trips out to the factory to document and check on my build as it progresses and I promise to photograph and provide updates along the way.

Cheers,
-Justin
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 10:21   #227

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
@Boom23 -

Thank you for your input and kind responses both to this thread and to my personal emails to you.

Yesterday I placed my initial deposit buying a Dec. 2020 delivery slot for an Amel 50! This thread played a key role in helping me make this decision. It's easily the most expensive gift I've ever given myself (and my wife), but I couldn't be more excited!

I'm eagerly awaiting your updates re. your delivery process, and I'm meeting Antoine in Mamaroneck at the end of May to spend 2 days on the first 50 to enter the US and begin to finalize the specific build list.

I'd really love to see two things from your build if you get a chance:
1) the details around the solar installation on the hard dodger as I'm going to ask them to do the same.
2) more detail around the extra storage in the master stateroom (as opposed to the seat + desk)

to the rest of you on this thread... I'll be doing at least two trips out to the factory to document and check on my build as it progresses and I promise to photograph and provide updates along the way.

Cheers,
-Justin
Justin,

Congratulations and I am glad I helped!

We are leaving for La Rochelle tomorrow. Our handover starts on April 23rd. We cannot wait!

I am curious about the hard dodger solar installation also. I believe it will be removable and I understand that the panels are of excellent quality. I hate to be the guinea pig, but I really like solar panels... As I mentioned earlier, I plan to install larger panels over the davits, if they do not interfere with the davit, dinghy handling and the pasarelle.

I like the storage cabinet Amel designed for us, instead of the seat/desk. I find it much more useful. If I need to read or use the computer, I can use the salon.
I can definitely use more storage for my clothes in the master. My wife will take the closet... There is additional storage on the floor and under the bed, which lifts, but the cabinet is more accessible.

Here are some pics of the master stateroom storage cabinet:

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 10:31   #228

oh - that looks great. Was this modification to storage from seat/desk something they charged you extra for? I like that it has both top loading, but also the opening at the bottom - that's a deep space!

as for the solar - yeah. I'm a big fan of solar as well and you really can't have enough... it's just balancing that against not making the boat ugly! in terms of putting a third panel on the davits.. were they unwilling to do that from the factory? I assume they're 200 each... so you did 2 giving you 400 on the davits and then the 4x50 for another 200 on the dodger for a total of 600?

Cheers,
-Justin
Old 18-04-2019, 11:24   #229

Quote:
oh - that looks great. Was this modification to storage from seat/desk something they charged you extra for? I like that it has both top loading, but also the opening at the bottom - that's a deep space!

as for the solar - yeah. I'm a big fan of solar as well and you really can't have enough... it's just balancing that against not making the boat ugly! in terms of putting a third panel on the davits.. were they unwilling to do that from the factory? I assume they're 200 each... so you did 2 giving you 400 on the davits and then the 4x50 for another 200 on the dodger for a total of 600?

Cheers,
-Justin
Justin,

I sent you a message regarding the cabinet. I think it is a very usable space.

Regarding the solar, I am hoping to fit two 300W (or close) solar panels. They will be more compact. When I ordered my boat, Amel did not want to install three 200W panels, or two larger panels. The funny part is that in the picture below, the factory has installed three solar panels... I guess they changed their mind, which happens during production. I still have to make sure the additional panel does not interfere with anything, especially the pasarelle.

As of now, I will have 600w solar panels total. I do not want to make to cover the boat with solar panels, as they are ugly and can be a problem during rough weather. So, I will see after I use the boat for a while.

Old 18-04-2019, 11:29   #230

wow... a blue one! I asked about hull color and they said that they'd only wrap the boat... that in terms of gel coat it would only be available in white (which is fine).. but then I look at the above and think that it's crazy to wrap... seems like a maintenance nightmare!

anyway... definitely seems like 3 panels in this pic.. as long as it doesn't screw with the pasarelle, 3 seems totally the way. POWER!
Old 18-04-2019, 11:36   #231

Quote:
wow... a blue one! I asked about hull color and they said that they'd only wrap the boat... that in terms of gel coat it would only be available in white (which is fine).. but then I look at the above and think that it's crazy to wrap... seems like a maintenance nightmare!

anyway... definitely seems like 3 panels in this pic.. as long as it doesn't screw with the pasarelle, 3 seems totally the way. POWER!
I believe they built this boat for Porsche. It was posted on the Amel Facebook page. The color is pretty but I would not want to maintain it. Not to mention the extra heat from the dark color.
Old 18-04-2019, 13:12   #232

Quote:
Yesterday I placed my initial deposit buying a Dec. 2020 delivery slot for an Amel 50!

Cheers,
-Justin
Congratulations to you and your lovely wife, Justin. Enjoy the ordering and build process and please do post lots of pics and stories. 🍾🥂
Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:14   #233

Thank you and we definitely will!
super excited
Old 19-04-2019, 10:17   #234

Your posts also influenced my decision to purchase. I am not taking delivery until July 2021. There are still earlier slots available but I need to extricate myself from my current job and that timing seemed about right (although I will need to get south fairly soon thereafter!) Thanks in advance for the videos you will be creating when you take delivery - It is a long time between now and 2021 but I can live vicariously through your exploits!
essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 10:35   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence View Post
Your posts also influenced my decision to purchase. I am not taking delivery until July 2021. There are still earlier slots available but I need to extricate myself from my current job and that timing seemed about right (although I will need to get south fairly soon thereafter!) Thanks in advance for the videos you will be creating when you take delivery - It is a long time between now and 2021 but I can live vicariously through your exploits!
I should be asking Amel for commission!!! (Joking)

Congratulations on your future Amel 50! I think this product is very exciting for Amel. They did a good job combining modern design and old fashion quality and sensibility.

I can feel the pressure to make videos... I understand where you're coming from. I'll do my best.
Old 22-04-2019, 15:33   #236

I know you are very busy, so reply at your leisure or not at all, we will understand. What are your plans for reaching the Med? 100nm days and moored every night? So much to see! Porto and Lisbon for sure. Ramiro's seafood restaurant in Lisbon is the best!
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:59   #237

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Hi Boom23 - Thanks for posting the process of building your new Amel 50. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my 50 in May 2020 and have followed your process with great anticipation. My friend from NAOS Yachts (the new West Cost US agent for Amel) was at the pontoon in La Rochelle and snapped this picture of your boat - truly awesome. Congratulations!!
I had a question about your choice for on board AC requirements. Did you select 220v or 110v for your house AC needs and what options you considered for shore power around the world.
Thanks for the great insights into your process with Amel. They are great people to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58384546_10157138691653493_60456732752609280_o.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	190783  
Piper WarriorII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 00:47   #238

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

We own a 220V boat and frankly, unless you stay in N America, there is no advantage to a 110V boat.

PS: I am Canadian; familiar with 110V systems.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:11   #239

Location: Currently in NC waiting for March 2020 delivery of AMEL 50
Boat: AMEL Sloop 50’

Out of curiosity (and potential future cruiser pals in the Med), how many new AMEL 50 owners are now following this thread started by Boom23. And when are your deliveries? Here are the ones I have seen:
Boom23 - April 2019
SailCindy - Boat finished in Oct 2019 but waiting in yard til March 2020 Delivery
Mag3 - Dec 2020
Essence - July 2021
Piper Warrior II ??
sailcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:21   #240

Location: Currently in NC waiting for March 2020 delivery of AMEL 50
Boat: AMEL Sloop 50’

We did not seen an Ice Maker on the options list for the AMEL 50 but when we asked we were shown this picture. We did add it to our boat’s options. The furniture is different to accommodate the ice maker, wiring, and plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7136A35D-9ADB-45B3-8C39-B73CD4FAD457.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	190969  
sailcindy is offline   Reply With Quote