Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 13:06   #1

Amazing opportunity for couple with kids, need suggestions

I have a great opportunity on my hands and I am trying to capitalize on it. We are a couple with two elementary age children. We would like to be on the water in two years. So I was originally looking for boat for a family of four, fortyish feet, two cabin setup.

Here comes opportunity. While talking to one of my children's teachers at her retirement party, a lady that we care for a great deal, who is a fantastic educator, I mentioned our cruising plans. She looked right over at me and said "Take me!" and she was serious.

She wants to head out with us, will support herself (ie. pitch in on provisioning) , participate in all aspects of crewing (limited experience) and attend to the education of our children. She is single, in great shape, no health issues, non-smoker, very athletic.

So now I am looking for a three cabin, two head, boat. It would be nice to give her her own space, and head, for that matter.

Purchase budget is $250K with another $100K for bringing her up to snuff for serious travel. I'd love a single mast, centerboard boat, NO TEAK ON THE DECK. I looked at a wonderful Hinkley 50 that met all requirements nicely. The boat had "classic" lines as in it was not a big fifty footer, engine access was a little tight, but it had been re-powered up to 135hp. Decent tankage, and with the centerboard up draft was a mere 5" plus an inch or two.

What other boats fit this category? Leave off Little Harbors, can't afford them, don't want to maintain that much bright work! Not looking for a huge project either, some work is expected, but not a bow to stern rebuild.

How about modern boats with maybe more interior room, as in wider beam aft?
jt_kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:15   #2

Re: Amazing opportunity for couple with kids, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_kilroy View Post
I have a great opportunity on my hands and I am trying to capitalize on it. We are a couple with two elementary age children. We would like to be on the water in two years. So I was originally looking for boat for a family of four, fortyish feet, two cabin setup.

Here comes opportunity. While talking to one of my children's teachers at her retirement party, a lady that we care for a great deal, who is a fantastic educator, I mentioned our cruising plans. She looked right over at me and said "Take me!" and she was serious.

She wants to head out with us, will support herself (ie. pitch in on provisioning) , participate in all aspects of crewing (limited experience) and attend to the education of our children. She is single, in great shape, no health issues, non-smoker, very athletic.

So now I am looking for a three cabin, two head, boat. It would be nice to give her her own space, and head, for that matter.

Purchase budget is $250K with another $100K for bringing her up to snuff for serious travel. I'd love a single mast, centerboard boat, NO TEAK ON THE DECK. I looked at a wonderful Hinkley 50 that met all requirements nicely. The boat had "classic" lines as in it was not a big fifty footer, engine access was a little tight, but it had been re-powered up to 135hp. Decent tankage, and with the centerboard up draft was a mere 5" plus an inch or two.

What other boats fit this category? Leave off Little Harbors, can't afford them, don't want to maintain that much bright work! Not looking for a huge project either, some work is expected, but not a bow to stern rebuild.

How about modern boats with maybe more interior room, as in wider beam aft?

Unless you have a lot of space it wont work. 3 weeks and you will be chucking her over the side. Guaranteed!
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:47   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Catamaran. Owners hull on one side, kids and educator on the other. And you can all meet up topsides!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

If you're not dead set against a cat, that would be your ticket. It's in your budget, plenty of separated space and a nice stable platform...
Old 21-07-2015, 14:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393

Beneteau makes a wide variety of boats that meet the size and price criteria you list. I've been on 3 cabin 2 head 393, 411, 423, 461 and 473. Search yacht world for location and prices. Several B 473 are listed less that $250.

Just out of curiosity, what/where are your cruising plans? Coastal cruising, blue water crossing, just live-aboard locally?

It sounds like you don't currently have a sailboat. Again, just wondering about your sailing experience.

You might want to consider a week or two chartering someplace like the BVI with family and teacher. You could try a mono-hull and a cat and see what works best for you.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:45   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Amazing opportunity for couple with kids, need suggestions

You can get a Beneteau Oceanis 38 brand new for less than $250, and can order it in a three cabin, no teak. You will have to convert the dedicated shower to be a second head, but the plumbing is in place for that and the first head already has a shower as well. Putting in a small additional partition would allow you to conjoin the converted head and starboard cabin into a separate compartment. You'd be able to pocket the rest of your $100K refit budget and you'd be on a new boat.

Beneteau also make a 41 and 45 that would do nicely and may fit within your buy+refit option brand new. They are all modern, beamy, and lightweight compared to traditional designs. Easily singlehanded, which makes 3 section watch rotations easy.

I have to say that anything less than 45 feet is going to be VERY cozy for two kids and three adults. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but when our 11 yo daughter and 13 yo son hit their growth spurt, we immediately outgrew our formerly comfortable sailboat and had to go to the 38' as the smallest reasonable boat. Adding a 3rd adult would be very difficult in any boat under 48' IMHO, and at that size you're getting beyond the size of a boat that can be reasonably single-handed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 18:03   #7

Boat: Lidgard 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Catamaran. Owners hull on one side, kids and educator on the other. And you can all meet up topsides!
If i had to take the teacter, the Cat would get my vote...Think i would rather do the educating myself and just have the family aboard. Pretty sure someone would be walking the plank after a couple of weeks!
NZBRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 19:18   #8

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I cruised with a nanny/tutor. Has to be the right person for your family and a team person

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 22-07-2015, 03:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Before committing to this plan maybe do a trial. Have your friend move in with you in your home for a couple of weeks. Have breakfast, lunch and dinner together every day. Go on all your errands together and generally spend all your time all day in close proximity. Then decide how compatible you will be on a boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 04:53   #10

Skipmac, that is a fantastic idea, I'll talk to my spouse about that. My sailing experience is best described as west coast, having sailed for several years in and around Northern CA, Santa Cruz up to Seattle. I have never sailed long open ocean passages so I figure I'll do what everyone else does. Bump around the Caribbean for a while to gain familiarity with a new boat and then head out before hurricane season.
jt_kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 05:55   #11

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I am a die hard monohull sailor, I own a Huntet 37.5 legend, and this is in the monohull forum. That said, when my wife, kids and I take our friends (two others) for a two week trip in the British Virgin Islands, I always take a Catamaran. We can have privacy (intimacy with spouse, time alone, etc) and the heads are multiple and large. Also, the galley is huge, and the motion is easier to take for non sea legged folks. The trampoline is fun for the kids and guests.

For the trip you are intending, I think a cat is right for you, as a previous poster suggested.

If, however, you are set on a monohull, a Beneteau in the 45 to 50 foot range will suit you, nicely. I have chartered for 12 years extensively and have sailed several different brands of boats such as hunter, beneteau jeanneau, Catalina, pearson, sabre from the Chesapeake to the Caribbean and even in Greece during the Meltemi winds. My experience has always been that the Beneteau is always the one with the most creature comforts and space below, especially the ones with three and four cabins. There are so many of them parts and maintenance will be easy. I have weathered many a storm in a Bene just fine. From a performance perspective you would be right in the middle of the pack.

For perspective, I have cruised on the following cats: Fountaine Pajot 47, Leapoard 37, 47, 50.

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Your kids will thank you twenty years from now when they realize what you did for them.

Ben

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 06:04   #12

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

One more thing....buy a boat that is ready to go. It will be less expensive and far less frustrating. Spend time sailing, not shipwrighting.

Ben

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 13:52   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I crossed the atlantic on this boat, now for sale in Antigua:

1972 Nautor's Swan 48 Cruiser / Racer, Antigua and Barbuda | boats.com

Its well within your budget, and pretty much ready to go. Everything has been done...repower, new rig, new electonics, wind and solar, fast dinghy, the works!

Huge owners cabin with on-suite, plus another head forward. Pilot berths for the kids, and a decent vee cabin for the nanny.

The owner is a friend, and he's ready to take ANY offer...hint hint. Save your money and your time...go sailing right away...and could you ask for a nicer place to start your adventure...Jolly Harbour Antigua!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 14:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I think the OP said in CAPS, NO TEAK ON THE DECK. Nice looking boat otherwise
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 14:26   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I think the OP said in CAPS, NO TEAK ON THE DECK. Nice looking boat otherwise
Mick Jagger said: "You can't always get what you want...you get what you need!"

Also, it draws 8'. OP wants shallow draft.

The question becomes...do you buy something like this, and start sailing in about a month...or spend the next 2 and a half years looking?

Remember, my boat is named "Compromise".
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids