Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 20:41   #46

Boat: Formosa 51
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Hey Thanks Zeehag, and VirtualVagaBond ...Wanderer is just like most older vessel's...She is in need of some things here and there...And a lot of TLC...But it's the kind of thing that makes life worth living...I just love a challenge..And I think I have found one with Wanderer...I have spent a lot of time thinking about what it will take to make Wanderer what we all know she can be...And I have had a lot of practice in my 50+ years and more than 55 boats of being a "BOAT NUT"...But for Lady Katie...This is her very first boat..She took a two hour cruise on Galveston Bay on board "Captain Kidd"...A custom built schooner for the cruise industry...That was all it took for her to become a "Boat Nut" too...Sincerely Captain Ron
ron.captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.captain View Post
Hey Thanks Zeehag, and VirtualVagaBond ...Wanderer is just like most older vessel's...She is in need of some things here and there...And a lot of TLC...But it's the kind of thing that makes life worth living...I just love a challenge..And I think I have found one with Wanderer...I have spent a lot of time thinking about what it will take to make Wanderer what we all know she can be...And I have had a lot of practice in my 50+ years and more than 55 boats of being a "BOAT NUT"...But for Lady Katie...This is her very first boat..She took a two hour cruise on Galveston Bay on board "Captain Kidd"...A custom built schooner for the cruise industry...That was all it took for her to become a "Boat Nut" too...Sincerely Captain Ron
Life is awfully dry without a boat...And is awfully wet with one..LOL..
Old 26-09-2011, 20:57   #48

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Hello all...I am new to this site...But have been reading your comments on our boat...I "Lady Katie" and I, Captain Ron..Are the new owners of S/V "Wanderer"..Yes that big green boat ...From the movie "Captain Ron" ...Yes she has a few dings and nicks...But she has more charm than most of the boats being built today...But to SpeedoWarinFrk...You are not here to run a popularity contest...You asked for other peoples opinion ..And they have gave you a lot of their mind thoughts ...But as a owner of over 55+ boats ...I am here to tell you ...There is no "right or wrong boat"...Their is really no practical boat to be bought...So buy the one you like..if you are in the Houston area...And would like to see S/V"Wanderer" Just ask...I will be happy to show you her...If you have any questions ...I will do what I can to give you a honest answer...But keep this in mind...Wood is work...And Wanderer is loaded with some of the finest teak wood in the world...So you can judge for yourself...Sincerely ..Lady Katie and Captain Ron...Kemah Texas.
Nice to see Wanderer has a home. Will she stay berthed in the same place? I saw her sitting in the slip when I was in the area visiting. It would be nice to see her sailing out in the bay too. Enjoy!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 21:16   #49

Boat: Pearson 281

Welcome Katie and Ron. Pics when you can pretty please. There's a pedigree and then theres' a PEDIGREE. Congrats and enjoy!
RE the thread. As someone else here posted I would say that starting with a large more complicated and expensive (to keep)boat might leave a new person shortchanged on the pure joy and simple fun of sailing. Owning (maintaining)even an older 30 ftr takes me a bit far from that joy sometimes. All of my experience in dingies has made the learning curve on this boat much shorter and has kept my appetite whetted through the tedious periods of restoration and upkeep.
But then we aren't all built the same or have the same tolerences etc.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 21:36   #50

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
R we referring to the Wanderer as in Hiscocks wanderer?
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 22:06   #51

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSON View Post
R we referring to the Wanderer as in Hiscocks wanderer?
No, but understandable confusion.

This is a Formosa 51 that was used in the movie, 'Captain Ron'. If you haven't seen the movie it's good lightweight entertainment with some good sailing scenes. Even has Kurt Russell for the ladies.

The Hiscock's Wanderer/s were far more the real deal as far as actually wandering is concerned.
I guess each in their own way has inspired many to consider the cruising life.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 22:30   #52

Quote:
Hello all...I am new to this site...But have been reading your comments on our boat...I "Lady Katie" and I, Captain Ron..Are the new owners of S/V "Wanderer"..Yes that big green boat ...From the movie "Captain Ron" ...Yes she has a few dings and nicks...But she has more charm than most of the boats being built today...But to SpeedoWarinFrk...You are not here to run a popularity contest...You asked for other peoples opinion ..And they have gave you a lot of their mind thoughts ...But as a owner of over 55+ boats ...I am here to tell you ...There is no "right or wrong boat"...Their is really no practical boat to be bought...So buy the one you like..if you are in the Houston area...And would like to see S/V"Wanderer" Just ask...I will be happy to show you her...If you have any questions ...I will do what I can to give you a honest answer...But keep this in mind...Wood is work...And Wanderer is loaded with some of the finest teak wood in the world...So you can judge for yourself...Sincerely ..Lady Katie and Captain Ron...Kemah Texas.
I hope you enjoy the wanderer. I was going to make contact to make a bid on her. To late for me, I will find another,
Take care of her if i am down that way I will stop by. if you change your mind I am still interested.,
bumoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 07:28   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

formosa 51 is a stout boat with issues as all boats have but there really are not many deal breakers as all is repairable and within rach without having to use a neonatal monkey trained intra-utero to do boat work.; a human can fix stuff on formosas. even the 41s.
and they are gorgeous. and roomy. and have storage places that are usable!!!!! and they even SAIL!!!!!!!
might not point, but they werent meant to, so they are good. they can surely handle BIG winds well, tho.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:05   #54

hehe guess I know now why my low ball offer was not accepted.

I am glad someone else is going to restore her to the condition she should be kept in please keep me updated along the way would love to watch you bring her back to life.

My email is jagil7100@gmail.com for pics and stuff

"Here's to being in a boat with a drink on the rocks and not in the drink with a boat on the rocks"
SpeedoWarinFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:55   #55

Hey "Yall"..As they say here in Texas...Thanks for the kind words about Wanderer...And too the people that are looking to buy a Formosa...I have had several large vessels ...Mostly power boats and motor yachts...But it seems as if there is something about larger than average sailboats..But back to the first post about BEING NUTS...I have never told anyone that I was normal...I am not...I have lived on several boats and yachts...And If you can buy a Formosa 51 as your first sailboat...THAN DO IT..Don't worry about how the smaller boats do it..Just do it on your own boat...And if you happen to sail on a friends smaller boat...just think of it as a sports car..You probably did not learn to drive in a Corvette anyway...Yes big boats do cost a bit more to moor and maintain..But if you can put one in your budget...And you are a bit adventurous ...Than you should be fine...If you learn to sail your boat the way you like ..That is all that matters...Lady Katie only was on a tour boat for 2 hours before she went and signed up for her first sailing lessons...And then we hammered out the pros, and cons of buying Wanderer....And now I, and she thinks we made a good investment..Time will only tell...But until then ...We will be putting her into rehab...And maybe you can find you one...And I will be happy to share our do's and don'ts ....But if you like a big fat boat...Than buy a big fat boat..We did...And we love it...Sincerely Captain Ron
Old 27-09-2011, 12:48   #56

OK...Soooo there seems to be a little bit of a fan fare with S/V Wanderer...If you are one of these people that want to know more....Please leave me a e.mail address...And I will send you some pictures...And now you can send a letter to Wanderer..at PO Box 1161 Kemah Texas...77565...We are open to suggestions ...And we hope to make Wanderer open to your inspection someday soon...As IF? And That is a big one at this point....But we are looking at being in Lake Charles Louisiana in May of 2012...For the Contraband Days festival....If we can get that for along in her rehab...Just ask anyone of the local pirates ...And we will try to have her open to the public...But we are planning with the Shiners Hospital in Galveston Texas to have her fitted for there long term children to enjoy...Captain Ron
Old 27-09-2011, 12:54   #57
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Sounds like a wonderful project! After seeing the movie the first time I did a bit of reading about her. Was only a little disappointed to find she had NOT belonged to Clark and Carole...

You can use your members gallery here at CF to load pictures for folks to see. And people do not have to be members to see pics. Guests have access as well!

I bet many here would love to follow the adventure you have ahead of you!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 14:07   #58

welcome to leaky teakydom--- is a good world!
Old 27-09-2011, 20:29   #59

Please be aware the boat you are contemplating does not point. I must admit I am not talking from a standpoint of great experience. I only sailed one day on a F51. Just thought I should tell you that before you jump hook-line-and-sinker. If you don't believe me just test sail her in 10 kts of wind and see how high you can point her!
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 20:40   #60

solosailor---you sailed on a formosa 51 ONE time, correct??
formosas are not spozed to point. only racers point. comfortable cruising is not sailing to weather. i can vouch for the FACT that a formosa will out-sail your boat in 60+ kts wind. been there dont that in a sloop and a formosa. i would sail formosa before any sloop any day of my life. much more comfortable cruising. better balance in BIG winds.
at 10 kts they are only drifting. rofl.
the garden ketches sail exactly as they should sail., as they were DESIGNED to sail.
haint nothin' wrong with that.