Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 11:26   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Posts: 607
Images: 9
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Yes, you probably are nuts but so what?
All boats are a compromise. Big ones, little ones, medium size ones, it doesnt matter.
The brand name of a boat is on par with how much money you want to spend - just like cars. You usually get what you pay for. If you're satisfied with a chevy - go for it.
Personally I wouldnt own a fiberglass boat if it was given to me. So call me a mental case.
40 years ago I bought my 1st sailboat - a 42ft Crocker cutter. I didnt know the 1st thing about sailing but I knew alot about boats as I had been fishing for a living for a few years. I took off from Ft. Lauderdale and never read a newspaper or answered a telephone for 2 years and made my way to Antigua and back mostly by myself. You dont have to be a genius to learn the basics of sailing and the more you do it the better you get. I went from 42 ft to 72 ft and back. I have a Nimble 20 trailer sailor and a 48' teak ketch built in 1941 and I sail it by myself alot. I have more fun with the trailer sailor most of the time - so easy to handle and I sail the damn thing right up on a sandy beach and step ashore. The only thing I dont like about the Nimble is it's fiberglass - at least it looks like wood!
Being an old shipwright working with wood is what I do - it's a labor of love don't you know!
The main thing is - make damn sure you like your boat whatever it is because you will be stuck with it for a long time. You can learn to sail anything that floats - thats the least of your worries.
good luck & have a ball
__________________

__________________
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 11:54   #32
Registered User
 
Sea Yawl Later's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hemphill, Texas
Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Posts: 150
Images: 7
Re: Am I Nuts ?

I like the idea of getting your dream boat right away instead of losing lots of money trading up 3 or 4 times....

Then do what others have said, get you something to play with in the harbor between coats of varnish.. or those pesky wiring jobs... lol. I believe the very easiest boat to sail is a 30' to 38' boat, for that reason I advise staying with a 27 or below to learn the wind.

I limited my "easy list" to 38' for two reasons. At the 40' mark docking is a bit tougher... #1. It's simply hard to judge distances from the cockpit to the bow that far away. #2. Hoisting sail on a mast taller than 55'AWL is not done easily by hand like it is on a 30 to 38' boat. Out in the open a 40'+ boat its easier to "sail straight", but you have to do the two "hard" things before you get there.

I just got back from my second extended (6 month) cruise and noticed a unique thing in the Bahamian harbors that a new guy might not be aware of. Big boats are moveable homes, where smaller boats (30 to 38'ers) pull up anchor quickly and do more discovering about. We made friends with a great couple on a magnificent 78' cat. That thing is georgious and is liveable out the wazoo... but with the two of them on board, it's not a simple thing to move. My little 33' cat is like a beach cat in comparison, we dined and visited a lot on the big boat, but when we wanted to go around the corner to check out a cool beach we took mine.

I guess the moral to that story is, if you buy a big boat learn to make friend easily and you can have it all... lol.

Truly, one of the points I wanted to make is... big boats are not as "approachable" in the harbor.. people tend to ooooh and ahhh as they pass making sure they don't interrupt the owners. When you live so deep in the "bowels" of a big boat instead of on her decks you simply don't meet as many other cruisers.....

I have a saying that has proven true many many times: "It's not about the beautiful places you go, or how you get there, it's all about the people you go with". If you go to the best place in the world on the best vehicle made and you go with somebody that you don't enjoy... don't count on having a good time. The key ingredient to cruising is the people... both the ones you bring and the ones you meet....

If you buy a moveable house, make sure you get out a lot and shake some hands... or you'll miss half the fun.

Sea Yawl Later !!
Rusty
__________________

__________________
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:44   #33
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Am I Nuts ?

You've just gotta love this forum...

So many opinions, so much advice, so much muddy water...

People that own Formosas seem to love them, people that don't, don't

Get onto the owners' site and you get a different perspective to here.

Just a few points.

Zeehag loves her boat, but to use her as an example of a Formosa owner spending her life fixing up her boat is dumb, IMO.

Buy any 35 year old, 41 ft boat for $10k... what do you think you'll be doing most of the time? At least she's out there doing it (rather than taking typing lessons) The addition is the brightwork, but that is optional. Many let it grey. However most owners buy these boats because they love the style and look, and great brightwork is part of that choice. A bit like vintage car ownership.

If you can't learn to sail 'properly' on a bigger boat, I'm sure glad Cook, Drake, De Gama, Magellan etc didn't know that

If you're a full time cruiser, 90% of your time is on the hook and your boat is your home. So if you want to be happy 90% of the time, have a big comfortable home, that sails reasonably and is much more comfortable in most situations than sailing a plastic champagne cork.

Saying you can't sail unless you've done your time falling out of dinghies is only relevent if you want to know that twitchiness.
It's like saying you shouldn't ride a Harley until you've done your time on trailbikes.
You don't have to ride the one to be good on the other... personal choice.

Are cat sailors second rate sailors if they didn't learn on tippy little mono dinghies first?

There are many different kinds of boats, and sailors. You can learn on anything, but just try to get an idea of what your objective is, and go for it.
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:48   #34
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Am I Nuts ?

[QUOTE=MarkJ;753134]I thought average age to scrap ships was about 16 years. OK, not the tramp coasters, but container ships, bulkers and crude carriers.

33 for a boat is not young.

I can hardly keep up with my 10 year old plastic boat...[/QUOTE]

Ahemmm...... is this a comment on the boat or the owner
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:03   #35
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Am I Nuts ?

[QUOTE=VirtualVagabond;753310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I can hardly keep up with my 10 year old plastic boat...[/QUOTE]

Ahemmm...... is this a comment on the boat or the owner
I'm sorry but Mark is at the Bar. Please leave your name, number and a very brief message. He will return your call in due course.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:06   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Am I Nuts ?

i use jib n jigger when i have the predictions for high winds-- we did that and we didnt use engine a lot--only when no wind and boat was only going south at 1.9 kts....lol we even drifted a bit--was a gas--- formosas can handle really big winds well even when they come up in darkness suddenly at the speed of 60 kts--we had that just north of cabo san lucas-- perfectly balanced under reefed jib n reefed mizzen--had we the main up, we'da been knocked down. i dont like that. as it was, we broke the taffrail-- 3 ft of teak rail . do not prevent your mizzen boom to the taffrail.. isnt made for that.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:34   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eastern Long Island
Posts: 9
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Thank you all for the replys!! Alot of info to mull over before making a purchase. I was planning on refitting the yacht after purchase so work should be minimal upkeep during cruising. I own a 1973 Hatteras now so I know about refits and upkeep. Just something I love about owning a boat older or just as old as I am lol.

Maybe Ill go pick up this little 12.5ft Herreshoff daysailor an older couple has for sale nearby and sail the rest of the summer and during the aprox 1 yr refit.
__________________
SpeedoWarinFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:45   #38
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: Am I Nuts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
You've just gotta love this forum...

So many opinions, so much advice, so much muddy water...

People that own Formosas seem to love them, people that don't, don't

Get onto the owners' site and you get a different perspective to here.

Just a few points.

Zeehag loves her boat, but to use her as an example of a Formosa owner spending her life fixing up her boat is dumb, IMO.

Buy any 35 year old, 41 ft boat for $10k... what do you think you'll be doing most of the time? At least she's out there doing it (rather than taking typing lessons) The addition is the brightwork, but that is optional. Many let it grey. However most owners buy these boats because they love the style and look, and great brightwork is part of that choice. A bit like vintage car ownership.

If you can't learn to sail 'properly' on a bigger boat, I'm sure glad Cook, Drake, De Gama, Magellan etc didn't know that

If you're a full time cruiser, 90% of your time is on the hook and your boat is your home. So if you want to be happy 90% of the time, have a big comfortable home, that sails reasonably and is much more comfortable in most situations than sailing a plastic champagne cork.

Saying you can't sail unless you've done your time falling out of dinghies is only relevent if you want to know that twitchiness.
It's like saying you shouldn't ride a Harley until you've done your time on trailbikes.
You don't have to ride the one to be good on the other... personal choice.

Are cat sailors second rate sailors if they didn't learn on tippy little mono dinghies first?

There are many different kinds of boats, and sailors. You can learn on anything, but just try to get an idea of what your objective is, and go for it.
+A1.....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 00:20   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Posts: 1,118
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Sailing the dinghy during the big boat refit sounds like a great idea -- and good fun.
__________________
Pat, from the Desert Sea http://desertsea.blogspot.com
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:19   #40
Registered User
 
sww914's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punta De Mita
Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Posts: 1,842
Re: Am I Nuts ?

I agree with your idea of sailing a small boat during the refit.
If you want to truly learn to sail you will on anything but you'll learn a lot faster on a small boat with no engine and if you get wet with your mistakes you'll learn about as fast as a cat who's owner wields a squirt bottle. Pretty fast.
__________________
Steve
http://www.landfallvoyages.com
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:57   #41
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Am I Nuts ?

By any chance...have you ever seen the movie "Captain Ron"?
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:49   #42
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 220
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoWarinFrk View Post
Maybe Ill go pick up this little 12.5ft Herreshoff daysailor an older couple has for sale nearby and sail the rest of the summer and during the aprox 1 yr refit.
Perfect solution. Have fun.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." Dave Barry
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:05   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kemah Texas...for now
Boat: Formosa 51
Posts: 19
Images: 3
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Hello all...I am new to this site...But have been reading your comments on our boat...I "Lady Katie" and I, Captain Ron..Are the new owners of S/V "Wanderer"..Yes that big green boat ...From the movie "Captain Ron" ...Yes she has a few dings and nicks...But she has more charm than most of the boats being built today...But to SpeedoWarinFrk...You are not here to run a popularity contest...You asked for other peoples opinion ..And they have gave you a lot of their mind thoughts ...But as a owner of over 55+ boats ...I am here to tell you ...There is no "right or wrong boat"...Their is really no practical boat to be bought...So buy the one you like..if you are in the Houston area...And would like to see S/V"Wanderer" Just ask...I will be happy to show you her...If you have any questions ...I will do what I can to give you a honest answer...But keep this in mind...Wood is work...And Wanderer is loaded with some of the finest teak wood in the world...So you can judge for yourself...Sincerely ..Lady Katie and Captain Ron...Kemah Texas.
__________________
ron.captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:12   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.captain View Post
Hello all...I am new to this site...But have been reading your comments on our boat...I "Lady Katie" and I, Captain Ron..Are the new owners of S/V "Wanderer"..Yes that big green boat ...From the movie "Captain Ron" ...Yes she has a few dings and nicks...But she has more charm than most of the boats being built today...But to SpeedoWarinFrk...You are not here to run a popularity contest...You asked for other peoples opinion ..And they have gave you a lot of their mind thoughts ...But as a owner of over 55+ boats ...I am here to tell you ...There is no "right or wrong boat"...Their is really no practical boat to be bought...So buy the one you like..if you are in the Houston area...And would like to see S/V"Wanderer" Just ask...I will be happy to show you her...If you have any questions ...I will do what I can to give you a honest answer...But keep this in mind...Wood is work...And Wanderer is loaded with some of the finest teak wood in the world...So you can judge for yourself...Sincerely ..Lady Katie and Captain Ron...Kemah Texas.

congratulations----- am glad that boat has a home. leaky teaky yacht club, a yahoo group , would love to have you join them---- is mostly formosas and other such as ours, also, formosa 51 owners group on yahoo.. leaky teaky used to be formosa 41 owners group[....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 18:06   #45
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Am I Nuts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.captain View Post
Hello all...I am new to this site...But have been reading your comments on our boat...I "Lady Katie" and I, Captain Ron..Are the new owners of S/V "Wanderer"..Yes that big green boat ...From the movie "Captain Ron" ...Yes she has a few dings and nicks...But she has more charm than most of the boats being built today...But to SpeedoWarinFrk...You are not here to run a popularity contest...You asked for other peoples opinion ..And they have gave you a lot of their mind thoughts ...But as a owner of over 55+ boats ...I am here to tell you ...There is no "right or wrong boat"...Their is really no practical boat to be bought...So buy the one you like..if you are in the Houston area...And would like to see S/V"Wanderer" Just ask...I will be happy to show you her...If you have any questions ...I will do what I can to give you a honest answer...But keep this in mind...Wood is work...And Wanderer is loaded with some of the finest teak wood in the world...So you can judge for yourself...Sincerely ..Lady Katie and Captain Ron...Kemah Texas.
Welcome to the forum C.Ron & L.Katie.
Good to see life being breathed back into Wanderer.
You should start your own thread becasuse there would be a lot of members interested in your journey getting her back into shape.
On the other hand, you probably won't have much time to spend here!

If you're not already members, the links Zeehag was referring to are here: Formosa 51/Force 50 owners Force 50 and Formosa 51 Owners Group

and Leaky Teaky yacht club LeakyTeakyYachtClub : LeakyTeakyYachtClub

Both have great members with a ton of knowledge about these boats, repairs, sources of stuff etc...

Good luck
__________________

__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considerations for Resale diverdr Monohull Sailboats 30 08-08-2011 08:40
My Husband is Nuts . . . Apparently, So Am I . . . sj01 Meets & Greets 72 04-08-2011 04:42



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.