Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 02:21   #1

Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

Hi,

I am currently preparing my 1981 Bruce Farr 44 made of triple skin kauri glassed for an extended cruise (2-3 years) leaving from New Zealand. My concern is that this type i.e. low displacement (13T Net), fin keeled, flat bottomed racer/cruiser may get me into trouble when the weather turns really nasty.

I have done a reasonable amount of coastal cruising in her but have not been out in anything worse than 25-30 knots with a rough sea. I have been doing a bit of research recently regarding GZ curves, roll moment of inertia and displacement and it has raised some concern regarding the potential vulnerability to capsize compared to medium and heavy displacement boats with fuller keels.

I would really like to her from cruisers with similar boats who are or have been out there doing it and can give real account of a comparable boats performance in heavy weather.

It goes without saying that during heavy weather its not going to be a comfortable ride compared to a boat with higher momentum but is cruising offshore in this style of boat to risky when the life's of loved ones is at stake?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Anthony
Burge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

Double reef the main at sunset.. that way you've only the jib to mess with in the dark.
Reef early not when you Need to..
And Yes... you will die.. but a lotta fun getting there

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:51   #3

Re: Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

When I hear "low displacement" and "fin keel" I think modern. When I hear "heavy displacement" and "full keel" I think anachronism.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:18   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Burge:

With the triple skin kauri and thefiberglass on the outside, perhaps your Farr is less flexy than the plain ones.

Get yourself a 50 sq ft. storm jib made, and plan to use it.

Sail conservatively and pay serious heed to weather forecasts. Keep your loved ones safe.

Of course, we're all going to die. I hope I don't get struck by a pig truck crossing an intersection. What I mean is that we rarely know beforehand exactly when our last hour will come. Ever. So what's to worry about?

Ann
Old 08-06-2015, 03:43   #5

Boat: kuiper 32

anthony if the boat can get to cat 1 it will be as safe as it can get.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:50   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
anthony if the boat can get to cat 1 it will be as safe as it can get.
Thats me stuffed then....

Anthony... where are you planning to go?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Are you talking about something like this?
1989 Farr 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41   #8

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge View Post
Hi,

I am currently preparing my 1981 Bruce Farr 44 made of triple skin kauri glassed for an extended cruise (2-3 years) leaving from New Zealand. My concern is that this type i.e. low displacement (13T Net), fin keeled, flat bottomed racer/cruiser may get me into trouble when the weather turns really nasty.

I have done a reasonable amount of coastal cruising in her but have not been out in anything worse than 25-30 knots with a rough sea. I have been doing a bit of research recently regarding GZ curves, roll moment of inertia and displacement and it has raised some concern regarding the potential vulnerability to capsize compared to medium and heavy displacement boats with fuller keels.

I would really like to her from cruisers with similar boats who are or have been out there doing it and can give real account of a comparable boats performance in heavy weather.

It goes without saying that during heavy weather its not going to be a comfortable ride compared to a boat with higher momentum but is cruising offshore in this style of boat to risky when the life's of loved ones is at stake?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Anthony
If your craft is well found and well maintained that is more than 90 percent of the concern. Heavy to mid displacement with long keel attachment and area can be an advantage, in particular for hove to or riding to a sea anchor, but also such craft may be less capable of avoiding the rough stuff in the first place.

The primary defense you have (as does any boat) against heavy weather and dangerous seas is foreknowledge, so forecasting and also understanding of the local waters dynamics. With these tools and good understanding you can avoid the vast majority of the more dangerous weather, and of course never try to be a hero. But it seems to me from your posts on CF that you are not the kind who would so try, and that makes you a prima facie good seaman.

Your being very careful and thinking everything through at this stage says to me: "This guy is going to be fine." or at least as fine as it is possible to be for anyone.

You have the RIGHT attitude and that is worth an immense amount, indeed more important than having the perfect boat by a long sea mile.

Given your particular boat type, I would suggest that you invest in a series drogue or similar device. Series drogues can also be made comparatively cheaply and need not be bought commercially, provided you are careful and it is clear to me you are careful. A sea anchor may be a waste of space on your boat, depending on your boat's behaviour at anchor. Definitely invest in the manufacture of a storm jib, and if you can, have it made of a UHMWPE type fabric. This is better however if your storm jib will be set on a stay which is capable of being sacrificed without the certainty of bringing down the rig. Also have it high cut and set up high, to allow boarding seas plenty of way underneath.

Do you have an innerforestay? If not, consider retrofitting a removable one for use with the storm jib. (Of course with professional rig advice).

Finally, I take it you had the hull glassed yourself? I understand Kauri is resistant to rot, but you obviously must be sure of the integrity of the primary structure as a first priority. If you are confident about that, then your boat is likely a lot better set up for long ranging it than many I have seen out there.

It should also be said that 13T for a 44 is not dramatically low displacement. Indeed there are plenty of craft out there nearly 10 feet longer at the same displacement.

Your concern is prudence, your prudence is your safety. Looks like you are following the right path to excellent seamanship to me.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:12   #9

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

No, provided your boat is sound you'll be fine! I have a Farr Phase 4 (40ft), design displacement 5800KG. We have sailed her quite a bit both offshore and around NZ.
Happy to talk if you want to give me a call 0221539176
Matt
Old 08-06-2015, 05:43   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I have done a reasonable amount of coastal cruising in her but have not been out in anything worse than 25-30 knots with a rough sea.
There is a high probability that you will never see rougher conditions than this in 2-3 years of cruising.

And you will have the advantage of a boat that screams along in very light winds.

Everyone worries about the very low probability of being in prolonged survival conditions, but they rarely worry about the extremely high probability of being in prolonged stultifying light winds.

Kind of backwards, given the actual realities.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

type of boat is irrelevant. of course yer gonna die. we all are doing so-- just make sure it is worth it when it is time... have fun. see ye in mexico before we both die.

or caribbean

or....

and your boat does sound like fun... enjoy it. sail loong and far..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanis393

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards Anthony
Aloha,
which Farr44 is that with 15t displacement?
http://www.farrdesign.com/pdfs/137brochure.pdf
(all farrs listed)
however, there will be no danger if you follow all the advices given here...
happy sailing
oceanis393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

We are all going to die and most boats can take more than their owners.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is a high probability that you will never see rougher conditions than this in 2-3 years of cruising.

And you will have the advantage of a boat that screams along in very light winds.

Everyone worries about the very low probability of being in prolonged survival conditions, but they rarely worry about the extremely high probability of being in prolonged stultifying light winds.

Kind of backwards, given the actual realities.

Mark
Could not agree more!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50   #15

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

2000 years ago people sailed everywhere around the world on a flat rafts of wood and square sails, I'm sure many died but many did not. Almost anything is possible if safety is considered and disaster survival is planned for.