Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-06-2008, 07:42   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly View Post
Yes you can find a blue water boat that has a decent set of sails (and a spare set) and a reliable engine for $15K.

<snip>

All at a cost of $2600 and I did most of the work myself. I have put a total for $6k in the boat with the bottom job and other odds and ends so far. Could I sail across the Pacific as is? Yes. Would I want to? No. The EPIRB is out of date and the dingy has some rot in the transom. I would want an SSB a working autopilot and possibly a new life raft and dingy. It all adds up fast.
Not to be rude but at present you have a $21,000 boat that is not yet ready to go. You don't have a serviceable dinghy or liferaft and you haven't provisioned the boat.

I think OP is looking for $15k or less ready to go. It's a very tall order. You really start to make compromises that some would say are safety related.

OTOH - A Westsail 32 just sold here for a song. It was not only ready to go, it was going and the couple that sold it decided to return to land based life.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 13:21   #17

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not to be rude but at present you have a $21,000 boat that is not yet ready to go. You don't have a serviceable dinghy or liferaft and you haven't provisioned the boat.
The dingy works fine with oars and the boat is fully provisioned, I can't fit anymore gin and tonic in the reefer.

Old 14-06-2008, 13:36   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it likely? Ummmmmmmmm

IMO on that budget yer gonna need to buy something that is at least fundamentally ready to go, even if not quite fully equipped / tailored to do the voyage planned.....ain't got much (if any) scope for refurb, let alone a serious refit in that budget.

To snap up such a bargain (that is actually a bargain ) IMO you will need to know what you are looking at (not relying on others or even a Surveyor).........as well as being in the right place at the right time. Probably with cash available.

If you discover the secret of "right time and right place" let us know (or send me a PM ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 15:10   #19

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tim, the devil lies in the details. A $15,000 boat won't have a serviceable life raft, add $5000. Or a decent set of sails, add a very rough $5000. Or a reliable engine, add more for an overhaul or replacement. You see where this is going?

As Napolean said, give me a general who is lucky rather than one who is smart. With enough luck you might buy something that can make it, eventually. Probably with a rigging failure (more money, old rigging needs replacing to go offshore) and perhaps rescued at sea (big ocean) if you don't catch a break with the weather, too.

On the bright side, that $15,000 boat probably hasn't had a good bottom paint in a long time, and all the stuff growing under it will attract lots of fish so you might be able to catch some for food while adrift on the way over.[g]
Tim,

I bought our VERY bluewater capable boat for $6000 US. It had a perfect set of sails, and a re-built Yanmar with only 10 hours on it. The rigging inspection revealed...nothing...just needed a tune up.

As far as a liferaft goes, I would never NEVER get in one. Period. If the storm can sink your craft, what makes you think that a $5000 piece of plastic will do any better? (I am not 100% sure, but I think the only people that died in the Fastnet storm of '79 were the ones that got in their 'liferafts'.) If you think you will need to use a liferaft or an EPIRB, then maybe you should reconsider if you should be out there in the first place. Why put someone elses life at risk to attempt a rescue?

We live in a fear based culture and a lot of people seem to buy into that.

For me, sailing is getting AWAY from fear, not bringing it with me.

He is right though, my sturdy little craft did need a new bottom painting. With the discount I got from the haul-out for the survey it was not much.

All in all, after buying my $6000 boat, I have put about another $2000 in various things into her. I "splurged" on a $400 used hard fiberglass dinghy that will double as a "liferaft" should we go down.

You will note that my screen name is Colorado Dreamer. I too had a limited budget, and although it took me 3 months of looking, I finally found a true seaworthy vessel where the owner was in a pinch and had to let her go well below market value.

I assume with the way the economy continues to tank, you will be able to find some ever BETTER deals than I got as time goes on.

I hope to see you on your journeys....

- Michael
Old 14-06-2008, 16:24   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dreamer View Post
As far as a liferaft goes, I would never NEVER get in one. Period.
Yes, but one should have one and those that decide not to for their own personal choices ought, as good seamanship, still advise others the current best thinking on the subject.

I think we are all behoven to recommend them, and their high cost must be somehow covered even when its 20% of the value of the boat!

It is an unfortunate reality that safety gear on a boat will be pretty much the same whatever the purchase price of the boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 16:34   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
We live in a fear based culture and a lot of people seem to buy into that.
That is so true.
Old 14-06-2008, 19:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dreamer View Post
but I think the only people that died in the Fastnet storm of '79 were the ones that got in their 'liferafts'.)
That is not true. One crew from Grimalkin was still tied to his lifeline before the helicopter winched him aboard. The skipper of Grimalkin was cut adrift when his lifeline tangled in rigging and debris in the water after one of many full rolllovers and he drifted from the boat before they could haul him aboard. There are others that were lost directly from the boats.

It is also true that some who went into rafts died.

Many people who suffered from rollovers described how dangerous the cabin was because of flying debris, which included canned goods, radios, batteries etc. So the alternative was to stay in the cockpit where in a rollover many were pinned in the cockpit, underwater, waiting for the boat to continue its roll to the upright position.

However, I am of the opinion if at all possible the liferaft is the boat you step up into as your boat goes under.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 03:35   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Colorado,

Cool that you cracked the "right time and right place" thing As I was indicating in my previous post things are possible and it is not about finding a boat that is worth USD15k (or less) that is capable of blue water cruising......it is about finding an owner who wants / needs to sell quickly.....and good old fashioned debt, divorce and death are often reasons for folk wanting / needing to shift stuff where price can be a secondary consideration to disposal.

Arguably it is taking advantage of someone else's misfortune, but IMO it's simply bizness......albeit the death one is something I would personally not be comfortable with taking advantage on. But I know some folk do differ on this........and I can afford not to.

I'm more in the no liferaft camp, but not absolutely - would never choose to get in a liferaft as some sort of magic solution, but I figure would be nice to at least have that option (even given it's limitations - especially half way accross an ocean).......one thing that does scare me is fire (and especially the smoke from) for which a liferaft (of some sort - even a dinghy) would be a comfort (to me) to have as an option.

Of course even folk who sail accross big oceans do not always have their problems mid ocean. Perfectly possible to have an encounter with a rock / reef or fire etc coastal where the shore is not far away........and a temporary refuge in a liferaft / dinghy would be very useful.

But I figure to try and plan as if I did not have one. And as not one onboard at the moment I would be happy to sail without, but would prefer to have during extended time afloat.

But for me this is something each must make their own assessment on.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 05:06   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Colorado, what in tarnation is a 38' Tahitian Sloop?

Or was your bargain a homebuilt Hartley Tahitian ferrocement boat, a rather odd beast that isn't at all typical of what a boat buyer might be looking for, and would be, like most ferrocement homebuilts, nearly impossible to sell on the US market?
Old 18-06-2008, 17:44   #25

Hey timbo, i share the same dream (partly induced by midlife-crisis nodoubt)
thinking about getting a boat for 15k do a few round up and down the west coast then if things are fine then just jump off to the pacific

oh, How about that kid i heard in the news?
he bought a boat for 6500$
then do some fixing up with the help of family and now he's off circumnavigating the globe. so 15000$ budget shouldn't be too impossible , yes?
Old 18-06-2008, 17:55   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Tim, the devil lies in the details. A $15,000 boat won't have a serviceable life raft, add $5000. Or a decent set of sails, add a very rough $5000. Or a reliable engine, add more for an overhaul or replacement. You see where this is going?

As Napolean said, give me a general who is lucky rather than one who is smart. With enough luck you might buy something that can make it, eventually. Probably with a rigging failure (more money, old rigging needs replacing to go offshore) and perhaps rescued at sea (big ocean) if you don't catch a break with the weather, too.

On the bright side, that $15,000 boat probably hasn't had a good bottom paint in a long time, and all the stuff growing under it will attract lots of fish so you might be able to catch some for food while adrift on the way over.[g]
Bullshit!! Used sails in almost new condition cost around $350 each for my 31 footer. I've crossed the Pacific singlehanded 9 times over the last 35 years and have never owned a liferaft. My 3/16th steel hull is my liferaft.
The galvanized rigging for my boat cost $25.
For an older fibreglass boat , from an era when materials and labour were so cheap that they overbuilt them to a degree that you couldn't afford to do today, $15,000 sounds quite reasonable.
The trick is , in a world awash in perfectly functionable used grear, don't let anyone sucker you into paying retail prices and buying things new that are better bought used.
Brent
Old 18-06-2008, 18:17   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Brent
As I set here laughing at the post, not at you, but with you.. so many times I've read replys from arm-chair sailors that you know from the posts, the only blue water they have ever seen is in their dreams and can quote the writing of a known cruiser, word for word from the books they read..
Hang tough, some day, if and when they ever do sail off, all those figures of cap-size ratio, hull speed, and let us not forget, the 5 million it take to go cruising,
will become a thing of the past.. They might become cruisers yet.....
Old 18-06-2008, 18:37   #28

Quote:
Colorado, what in tarnation is a 38' Tahitian Sloop?

Or was your bargain a homebuilt Hartley Tahitian ferrocement boat, a rather odd beast that isn't at all typical of what a boat buyer might be looking for, and would be, like most ferrocement homebuilts, nearly impossible to sell on the US market?
No she is not a Hartley Tahitian. She is basically a Westsail 32, only 38', and not built by Westsail....but rather built by a yard in San Diego. We call her a Tahitian Sloop because that is what the previous owner called her and I am at a loss for anything else to describe it.

But, she is seaworthy. And cheap.

Old 18-06-2008, 18:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
Bullshit!! Used sails in almost new condition cost around $350 each for my 31 footer. I've crossed the Pacific singlehanded 9 times over the last 35 years and have never owned a liferaft. My 3/16th steel hull is my liferaft.
The galvanized rigging for my boat cost $25.
For an older fibreglass boat , from an era when materials and labour were so cheap that they overbuilt them to a degree that you couldn't afford to do today, $15,000 sounds quite reasonable.
The trick is , in a world awash in perfectly functionable used grear, don't let anyone sucker you into paying retail prices and buying things new that are better bought used.
Brent
Well said!
Old 18-06-2008, 18:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
snip...

for which a liferaft (of some sort - even a dinghy) would be a comfort (to me) to have as an option.
Agreed. You should note that I stated in my earlier post that I have a very rugged and tested dinghy which I would use for a "liferaft" if needed. I do not see the need for a dedicated multi-thousand dollar plastic one.

One of the keys of doing ANYTHING on a budget, be it cruising, living, camping, or cooking is to by used, and buy only items that can multi-task.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: