Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
Am I crazy or what

Just looking for some seasoned feedback.

My delivery business is going well and I have started working full time at JTMarineinc.ocm. Doing lots of boat stuff. My 3 axle sailboat trailer is going through a refit after modeling it in solidworks and finding the weak spots. This year going to buy a big ass dually diesel pickup for towing purposes.

Here is my thoughts. I can use the cranes at work to pick my 1970 Columbia 34 Mark 2 up and put it on my 3 axle sailboat trailer, drop the mast. Then tow this boy down to San Carlos, and launch it for some cruising down south. Thinking about doing this next fall, then bring it back north in the spring, put back on trailer and tow back to PDX for summer use.

Would be great to spend some time down in mexico on the boat.

MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:27   #2

Re: Am I crazy or what

It just might be crazy enough to work.

Sounds like fun.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Too bad your so far away, I'd love to sell you my "Big Assed Dually"
Wife and kids nicknamed it the BAT for "Big Assed Truck" years ago, but as long as you have good brakes on that trailer and use common sense you can tow it easily, I used to tow a JD 410 backhoe on a triple axle all the time.
Those are 7,000 lb axles?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Nice, yeah probably just get something locally, going through modifications on the trailer right now. Pretty sure it has 6k axles on it .....

FEA on the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Too bad your so far away, I'd love to sell you my "Big Assed Dually"
Wife and kids nicknamed it the BAT for "Big Assed Truck" years ago, but as long as you have good brakes on that trailer and use common sense you can tow it easily, I used to tow a JD 410 backhoe on a triple axle all the time.
Those are 7,000 lb axles?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Just a curiosity question. At what point, weight / length / mass height, would a 5th wheel rig be better than a tow hitch?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

You can really only to 17,000 lbs on a hitch

Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring

5th wheel is a better way of carrying the weight, but not sure in my searching at least that you can go any more weight than what you do with the hitch system.

Its all based on GVRW, so vehicle weight comes into play.

As a future upgrade to my delivery business I am considering going with a fifth wheel and super duper trailer with hydraulic lifts. But this would involve the purchase of a super truck basically with one of these super duper trailers.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Olymp...ation=timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Just a curiosity question. At what point, weight / length / mass height, would a 5th wheel rig be better than a tow hitch?
Old 05-01-2016, 13:59   #7

Mack, I don't think you are crazy at all. You are just another trailer sailor - albeit with a MUCH bigger boat and a heavy-duty tow vehicle. According to the specs I saw, your Columbia only has a 10 foot beam. That does simplify the hauling. I would say "go for it", with a couple of provisos: Double-check everything that could go wrong while hauling. Have a couple of spare tires, wheel bearings, a jack, tools, etc. Nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the road. Second, (and you probably know this already), I would seriously avoid towing at night.

Happy Trails and Fair Winds!
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:05   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393

Yes, you are crazy!

So...Go for it! Good luck and have fun!

I'm sure it will be a crazy adventure you and your family will fondly remember forever!
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:05   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Am I really seeing a 34 footer on a road trailer ?

Safety wise I think your crazy. We wouldn't let you do it down our way. But who knows in your hood.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:13   #10

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Just looking for some seasoned feedback.

My delivery business is going well and I have started working full time at JTMarineinc.ocm. Doing lots of boat stuff. My 3 axle sailboat trailer is going through a refit after modeling it in solidworks and finding the weak spots. This year going to buy a big ass dually diesel pickup for towing purposes.

Here is my thoughts. I can use the cranes at work to pick my 1970 Columbia 34 Mark 2 up and put it on my 3 axle sailboat trailer, drop the mast. Then tow this boy down to San Carlos, and launch it for some cruising down south. Thinking about doing this next fall, then bring it back north in the spring, put back on trailer and tow back to PDX for summer use.

Would be great to spend some time down in mexico on the boat.

You asked so I'll respond...I used to work during the winter moving boats from Kelowna B.C., to Chula Vista and points in between. I made probably 80 or so trips taking a boat south, delivering it, spending the weekend in sunny Ca., and picking up another one and returning to the Seattle area.

You have to get oversize permits to haul that boat on the highway, your tow vehicle has to be marked "oversize", lights etc. It would be in your best interest to contact the State Police and ask them where to get the rules and regs pertaining to your plans.

Your trailer looks pretty lightweight for long distance use and if those are mobile home axles, they are designed for one use to deliver a mobile home. I know people use them all the time for homemade trailers, but you are talking long distance. There are specifications for axles, weights, and tire ratings to consider. Another factor to consider is, believe it or not, wind. With a light trailer like that one you are susceptible to high forces being exerted on the high windage of that hull at highway speeds. I almost lost a boat in a gust of wind and the truck/trailer I was driving weighed 30,000 lbs. and the boat another 25,000.

Bear in mind also, that you will be required to stop at every weigh station, and there is a possibility that you may have to go through a vehicle inspection. If the inspector deems your rig unsafe, that is where it will stay until you hire a boat mover to come and pick it up.

Understand that I am not trying to discourage you in any way, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK! The State Police [especially in California] do not play games. They are very serious people when it comes to highway safety.

Best of luck, and above all play it safe.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

The trailer weighs 3222 lbs and is made from all C6 x 8.2 steel channel. Its pretty heavy duty actually, I can see from the picture that you can not tell maybe.

We towed the boat from San Francisco, with all the right permits, signage, red flags, and corner lights. No issues really and the trailer drives along at 55 MPH no problem when loaded.

I also replaced all the bearings with high end Timken bearings and went through all the electric brakes, cleaning everything up, and making sure everything is in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
You asked so I'll respond...I used to work during the winter moving boats from Kelowna B.C., to Chula Vista and points in between. I made probably 80 or so trips taking a boat south, delivering it, spending the weekend in sunny Ca., and picking up another one and returning to the Seattle area.

You have to get oversize permits to haul that boat on the highway, your tow vehicle has to be marked "oversize", lights etc. It would be in your best interest to contact the State Police and ask them where to get the rules and regs pertaining to your plans.

Your trailer looks pretty lightweight for long distance use and if those are mobile home axles, they are designed for one use to deliver a mobile home. I know people use them all the time for homemade trailers, but you are talking long distance. There are specifications for axles, weights, and tire ratings to consider. Another factor to consider is, believe it or not, wind. With a light trailer like that one you are susceptible to high forces being exerted on the high windage of that hull at highway speeds. I almost lost a boat in a gust of wind and the truck/trailer I was driving weighed 30,000 lbs. and the boat another 25,000.

Bear in mind also, that you will be required to stop at every weigh station, and there is a possibility that you may have to go through a vehicle inspection. If the inspector deems your rig unsafe, that is where it will stay until you hire a boat mover to come and pick it up.

Understand that I am not trying to discourage you in any way, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK! The State Police [especially in California] do not play games. They are very serious people when it comes to highway safety.

Best of luck, and above all play it safe.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:56   #12

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
The trailer weighs 3222 lbs and is made from all C6 x 8.2 steel channel. Its pretty heavy duty actually, I can see from the picture that you can not tell maybe.

We towed the boat from San Francisco, with all the right permits, signage, red flags, and corner lights. No issues really and the trailer drives along at 55 MPH no problem when loaded.

I also replaced all the bearings with high end Timken bearings and went through all the electric brakes, cleaning everything up, and making sure everything is in good condition.

OK then, for some reason I mistakenly thought you were asking for other peoples opinions/advice. So my comment was pointless after all.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:59   #13
Marine Service Provider

Not at all. I do appreciate other peoples comments and view points. Yours are dually noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
OK then, for some reason I mistakenly thought you were asking for other peoples opinions/advice. So my comment was pointless after all.
Old 05-01-2016, 17:58   #14

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Not at all. I do appreciate other peoples comments and view points. Yours are dually noted.
As long as your boat weight falls within the hauling capacity of your trailer and axels I see no problem. If you were driving through an area with high gusty winds, yes ,I would pull off someplace and wait it out. High winds can blow anything over. Semi's, train locomotives, really heavy things. But, if no high wind, no problem. Personally, I would haul it down that way once and leave it on the hard when you are not using it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
As long as your boat weight falls within the hauling capacity of your trailer and axels I see no problem. ...
AND the truck has to be registered to tow the weight of the boat AND trailer as well as the weight the trailer puts on the truck. There is a limit to the total weight of the truck, trailer and cargo that the truck can handle per the plate specs/registration on the truck.

Now, I did say registered since I have seen a gazillion arguments on how much weight can be legally towed. There are two arguments about the weights, one is that the truck/trailer ratings cannot and should not be exceeded, while the second is that if you pay your tag/registration fees for a higher weight, you are good to go. The second argument might, just might, get you out of a citation, depending on the state, but if there is an accident, I think all bets are off if the lawyers find out that the truck exceeded the design weights of the truck.

Goose neck and fifth wheels are better/easier to tow sway wise but there are anti sway bumper hitches, like Hensley and ProPride, that are supposed to work well. There might be others but I have not read up on this in a decade or more.

We are thinking of buying a boat that can be towed and even though I have a diesel F350, I think we would hire out the towing since my truck is older and not a dually, so the total weight the truck can haul, while it might be legal, it would be questionable in my mind. We would only be towing a few hundred miles.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote