Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 17:11   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Am I Crazy?

Julie Mor, my hat's off to ya. You are one brave and/or ambitious lady to even be considering such a project. I love woodwork also (am not the fine craftsman you are) and have done my fair share of boat restorations over the years, but the thought of a project that big would send me running straight for the Xanax bottle.
Old 22-11-2014, 07:20   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Julie Mor, my hat's off to ya. You are one brave and/or ambitious lady to even be considering such a project. I love woodwork also (am not the fine craftsman you are) and have done my fair share of boat restorations over the years, but the thought of a project that big would send me running straight for the Xanax bottle.
The winter before last, I decided to make new doors and drawer faces for our kitchen cabinets. And I had to build three cabinets from scratch to fit the new plan and do a major modification on one cabinet for a new double oven. The wood for the door panels was resawn from 8/4 stock, slabs that were as big as 10" wide and 10' long.

It took me all winter to finish and by the end I was hating it. It wasn't the work though. It was the fact that a new owner would one day take a sledge hammer to it just because it had gone out of style. Woodworking is normally my Xanax, but when you put all that into a project knowing one day it will be demolished, it made that project very hard to complete.

I look at the teak deck project as something that should last 20 years. I'm okay with that. If I had a small skiff or similar to practice on, I'd know if I would be up for the task of working on a larger boat, be it the Oyster or some other boat. Whatever we do, I'll need something to keep me busy while my SO is at work. I can't let this stone gather any moss.
Old 22-11-2014, 12:02   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
If I had a small skiff or similar to practice on, I'd know if I would be up for the task of working on a larger boat, be it the Oyster or some other boat. Whatever we do, I'll need something to keep me busy while my SO is at work. I can't let this stone gather any moss.
Hi, Julie,

You know, there are plans around for building your own tender/sailing dinghy, and some of them are really beautiful little boats. Given that your SO said that he found the Oyster somewhat cramped, maybe that one is not the boat for you guys. But if you built your own tender, you'd have it, for whatever boat you wind up with. It would also give you the opportunity to play with some different timbers and use test them in the water. Just a thought.....

Ann

PS to minaret: if the demo took 2 days on the Nauticat, how many days did the remainder of the deck work take?
Old 23-11-2014, 11:37   #49
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Julie,

You know, there are plans around for building your own tender/sailing dinghy, and some of them are really beautiful little boats. Given that your SO said that he found the Oyster somewhat cramped, maybe that one is not the boat for you guys. But if you built your own tender, you'd have it, for whatever boat you wind up with. It would also give you the opportunity to play with some different timbers and use test them in the water. Just a thought.....

Ann

PS to minaret: if the demo took 2 days on the Nauticat, how many days did the remainder of the deck work take?

About a million. Like I said, demo is the easy part.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 11:57   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
About a million. Like I said, demo is the easy part.
I knew what you meant, minaret. But not a million, was it? was it not about a years' worth of 18 hr. days? And, you work to a perfectionist standard, too, which you may be able to do fast, but most of us cannot.

Anyhow, Julie, good luck with it whatever you choose.

Ann
Old 23-11-2014, 15:09   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Julie,

Ann
Oh boy! You can't do that to me! I'm like a kid when it comes to projects - little idea what I'm getting into but always willing to dive into something that looks like fun. That sounds like a lot of fun!

My partner has been scoping out condos near a marina we both like. The only thing missing is a place for the workshop. When we finally get settled down there, I might even tackle that tender project.

As for replacing the deck on a 48 foot boat - the insanity has subsided and I'm back to reality again.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:37   #52

Quote:
Oh boy! You can't do that to me! I'm like a kid when it comes to projects - little idea what I'm getting into but always willing to dive into something that looks like fun. That sounds like a lot of fun!

My partner has been scoping out condos near a marina we both like. The only thing missing is a place for the workshop. When we finally get settled down there, I might even tackle that tender project.

As for replacing the deck on a 48 foot boat - the insanity has subsided and I'm back to reality again.
Good on ya, Julie!

I hope you take a look at minaret's Nauticat 52 refit thread. I found it wonderful to see what someone who really knows what he's doing can do.

Ann
Old 23-11-2014, 16:55   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Putting $60k into an older boat would be way beyond my comprehension.
Hey. It's an Oyster 485. Classic Holman & Pye design. One of the most beautiful boats ever designed; floating sex. $60k? Pshaw. That's all?

Seriously, these boats are worth $400k or $500k, at least on this side of the pond. $60k to get the decks in order would be well worth it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:27   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hey. It's an Oyster 485. Classic Holman & Pye design. One of the most beautiful boats ever designed; floating sex. $60k? Pshaw. That's all?

Seriously, these boats are worth $400k or $500k, at least on this side of the pond. $60k to get the decks in order would be well worth it.
The estimate from a reputable company says $80K+. Two 485s were recently sold across the pond for a bit under $300K. The looked about in the same condition but with more life left in the deck. At the upper end on price here, there's a 485 asking $425K in New England and it looks like the deck is pretty new. One with what looks like original decks but in good shape is asking $349K. Florida beats the life out of teak decks.
Old 25-11-2014, 10:55   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Florida beats the life out of teak decks.
And varnish and sails and paint and caulk and skin and it only gets worse if you go further south. Nothing like a serious dose of UV to do in most anything.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:35   #56

Call me certifiable, but we're going back to see this boat tomorrow. This time I'll be armed to the teeth with "data analysis" equipment (like a camera ) and if anything useful comes from it, you'll have a better idea if and when you'll need to get out the straight jacket.

But just so you don't think I'm completely crazy, we have a couple of other boats we'll also be seeing, either this weekend or next, as alternatives to life in the teak mines.
Old 12-12-2014, 20:01   #57

Boat: Westsail 32

Julie, early on in this thread you talked of teak laminate, saying the teak in the deck might be laminated. This sounded like strips of plywood with cheap core and teak facing. Is the teak in the deck laminate or solid?

If it's laminate it's inviting you to zip the crap off, and install a nice teak deck.

Ferenc Mate writes of installing a teak deck on his 32' kit boat, in his do-it-yourself book 'From A Bare Hull'.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 04:31   #58
cruiser

Our Oyster has a teak deck which is more like full thickness teak tongue and groove flooring glued down with functional caulked seams which penetrate down halfway through the thickness of the teak. When it becomes worn half way through, the caulking lifts out giving it the appearance of a laminate. At this point, the grooves can be recut deeper and new caulking applied. But it's not an easy task.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 04:41   #59

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Call me certifiable, but we're going back to see this boat tomorrow. This time I'll be armed to the teeth with "data analysis" equipment (like a camera ) and if anything useful comes from it, you'll have a better idea if and when you'll need to get out the straight jacket.

But just so you don't think I'm completely crazy, we have a couple of other boats we'll also be seeing, either this weekend or next, as alternatives to life in the teak mines.
Hello Julie,

You are indeed ready for the white coats. But there is a definite charm about you; where else do you find a woman who uses woodwork as Xanax but in a sailing forum?

Kidding aside, be careful, very careful. These old Oyster girls were balsa cored decks.. you could be getting far more than just a Teak deck renewal. In my opinion, NEVER Teak deck on my boat..

However, are you married???

Would you like to be??? My boat has NO teak!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 05:46   #60

I'm looking right now into bamboo for a deck replacement.

I have about 20 mins research on this ... James Wharram has bamboo decks spec'd out on a 60' design. Might be something to look at? I'm wondering about them myself. Some of the hardest hardwood floors you can buy are laminated bamboo. Hardness scale of over 5000! Just something to research, I'm curious myself.
SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote