Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 18:21   #31

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Am I Crazy?

With respect to the Oyster 485, it has been described to me as a "short person's boat". - if that works for you, great, but that may present a challenge should you ever wish to sell. This is why there are usually several listed for what seems to me like low prices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 18:40   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Fake teak or plastic decks will absolutely KILL the value of an Oyster. Kind of like replacing worn hardwood flooring in a luxury home with linoleum squares. Here's some pictures of our Oyster 53 with the decks 75% completed by yours truly. Not difficult with some pro woodworking skills using a plunge skill saw, random orbital sander, chisels, patience and around 300 hours of labor out in the sun. What you see is the work prior to final sanding to remove excess caulking. It's a 15 step process done in sections.

The only exception, would be if you can locate and buy the fake teak being used by Lagoon which absolutely looks and feels like teak. But I bet that it probably costs around the same price as teak. It looks like full thickness plastic wood with caulking, something I'd consider in 10-12 years when our decks need replacement... if we still have the boat.

Ken, did you lay new decks or just repay the seams and sand? 300 hours is about ballpark to reef seams, prep, pay, and finish. If you can lay a new teak deck by yourself in 300 hours, getting a grand a day shouldn't be too much trouble for ya!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 18:46   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Stu, sure, there's the element of "saving" in tackling the job myself but the more I looked into this, the more unrealistic DIY seemed. And that $60K figure was thrown out there based on what I've read. It could be more... or less. But I really am trying to make myself be practical. If I erase the memories of the boat, I might succeed.

As for the guitar, which one should I send to you?

skipmac, that whole non-skid thing is a mystery to me. The picture in my mind sees a deck looking something like this:

For all I know, that could cost as much as the teak.

Last teak deck I laid cost 80k for a pro job (Fleming 55). I'd guess 40-60 is a fairly accurate estimate. If you consider using something other than teak and DIY, much less. But this will affect resale, which is not important if you intend to keep it.

As far as glass goes, it really depends on the job. Could be far less than new teak, could be far more. Here's a thread with pics of my method of doing it.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fit-95666.html

Old 18-11-2014, 19:21   #34

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

High end boats (Oysters, HRs, Najads, Moodys, Tayanna, etc. ) of that era came with teak decks. There are plenty on the market. Look at others of the same vintage to get an idea of just how bad the deck is on the one you are looking at. If you see a couple of similar boats, you'll know if the shape of the deck comes from use or abuse. Use that information to negotiate or simply find another boat from the same company that is in better shape if you like that layout and quality.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 06:13   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Julie...

I would be honored to take either of those fine examples of SPECTACULAR craftsmanship .... Off your hands....

(Truly beautiful work)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 06:53   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Julie...

I would be honored to take either of those fine examples of SPECTACULAR craftsmanship .... Off your hands....

(Truly beautiful work)
I'll bet she would be just as honored to take a couple of boat bucks out of your cruising kitty for that privilege.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 07:32   #37

Ken, where did you buy the wood? Was it planed to thickness or did you have to do that yourself? I like making $1,000/hr.

Ann, an average guitar costs me $800 - $900 in materials and takes me about 40-50 hours from raw stock to finish and setup. Those who have played them say they are as good or better than Fender. But it's the name most want, either in the brand or the artist who plays it. I've made 3 but only sold 1. I have a bass in the works and when that's done, I'll find a cheaper hobby. There's a joke among luthiers, "If I win the lottery, I want to be a luthier until I run out of money."

accomplice, you're right, the headroom got several negative comments from my SO, who is 5'11". At 5'7", even I felt some areas of the boat a bit tight. That's something I forgot about.

Moody, from the information we've been able to get, it seems the condition of the boat topsides is largely due to neglect. Maybe next time I'm back down there, we'll take a second look at it. There's been a lot of comments here that tell me I need to look more objectively before considering the boat any further.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 07:45   #38
cruiser

My boat required restoration not replacement. Removal of old caulking, re cut all seams, chisel seams to a deeper depth, sand sand sand, tape tape tape, caulk, etc.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 07:52   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I have a bass in the works and when that's done, I'll find a cheaper hobby. There's a joke among luthiers, "If I win the lottery, I want to be a luthier until I run out of money.
Very similar joke in boating.

How do you make a small fortune in the boating industry?

Start with a large fortune.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 16:13   #40

Boat: Nordhavn 72

I had a surveyor look at this Oyster (Night Swan) and it isn't just the teak decks that need work. The whole boat has been completely neglected for years and it would cost at least us$150k to get her back in reasonable condition. Unless you fancy spending the next 18 months being a project manager, I would suggest passing on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
I had a surveyor look at this Oyster (Night Swan) and it isn't just the teak decks that need work. The whole boat has been completely neglected for years and it would cost at least us$150k to get her back in reasonable condition. Unless you fancy spending the next 18 months being a project manager, I would suggest passing on this one.
$150K? At least?
Old 21-11-2014, 09:14   #42

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello Julie,

IIRC older Oysters have a Balsa sandwich deck with Teak on top. If any, meaning literally DROPS, ever breached the top layer of that sandwich, you are in for a doozer of a headache!!!

Remember: Teak decks are a headache waiting to happen...

I bought an Amel for this reason.(No teak)

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 15:47   #43

Well, I have it all figured out now that I know how to remove the old decking.

It's easy!
Old 21-11-2014, 16:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
With respect to the Oyster 485, it has been described to me as a "short person's boat". - if that works for you, great, but that may present a challenge should you ever wish to sell. This is why there are usually several listed for what seems to me like low prices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is still talking about the teak. Her partner has already suggested that headroom would be an issue--and he hasn't even tried to live on it yet. Dump a bunch of money in a boat your partner will never be comfortable on, and then sit back and watch as your relationship implodes.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 16:53   #45
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, I have it all figured out now that I know how to remove the old decking.

It's easy!

Demo IS easy. I demoed the teak decks on my 52' in two days.