Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 16:30   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Allied Seawind MK2

Does anybody have any real world experience with them?

Been looking at Seawind MK2. Found one in really good condition for what seems to be a good price.

I've read what could about them. Perused the owners association website and joined the mailing list.

Just looking for as much info as possible.

Thanks
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 21:26   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Allied Seawind MK2

You've probably seen it but just in case here is a possibly useful link:
The Allied Seawind II 32 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

and:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-185806.html

Check post #6, you might PM that member for his personal opinions on his Allied Seawind II.

Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:15   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We’ve owned ours since 2008, so quite a few years of experience. We’ve sailed the western Caribbean, taken a division first place in the Harvest Moon regatta, and are planning another cruise much further afield than our previous trip.

The boat is faster than you’d expect for its hull form, but it does not go to weather like a more modern design. It’s comfortable off the wind and tracks well once you figure out sail combinations.

We’ve got a 45lb anchor and 225’ of chain on the bow and it hasn’t been an appreciable detriment to the sailing performance (quite a few run races with similar lap times and placement).

There is room to cram more equipment into the boat than you should, if you’re creative. I’m currently shoehorning a resurrected 9.5gph schenker watermaker into various nooks.

The mizzen makes a great radar and wind gen mount.

The only real downsides are the potential mast compression problems (both masts) and the aging rudder heel casting.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 19:31   #4

Thanks Sailmonkey.

How close to the wind can you generally sail?

By rudder casting are you referring to the rudder stock in the rudder or the the shoe (I think that's the right word) that attaches the base of the rudder to the keel?

Below is a photo of the shoe of the boat I just put an offer in on.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_112301.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	195888
Old 13-07-2019, 19:35   #5

Yes the mizzen mast is a great place for a wind generator but I'm also very intrigued by the idea of being able to fly a mizzen staysail. Are there any other possible locations for a wind generator?
Old 13-07-2019, 19:39   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallatin1988 View Post
Thanks Sailmonkey.

By rudder casting are you referring to the rudder stock in the rudder or the the shoe (I think that's the right word) that attaches the base of the rudder to the keel?

Below is a photo of the shoe of the boat I just put an offer in on.Attachment 195888
Kinda similar to mine too. Is it still out of the water? It LOOKS ok in the photo to me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 19:46   #7

Yes the boat is currently out of the water
Old 13-07-2019, 20:05   #8

Boat: Columbia 50

I had one for about 5 years. No speed demon, but very comfortable ride. The mizzen boom is annoyingly low - right around eye-height. I figured around 110 degrees between tacks as best she could do.

Terrific balance on the wind, I could set the sails just right and she’d essentially self steer. Easy to single hand

Very solid construction

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 20:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If the boat has worm gear steering you'll have to figure out how to add an autopilot. Pendulum Servo self steering supposedly won't work with worm gear so you will be stuck with auxiliary rudder vane like HydroVane or WindPilot Pacific Plus which are quite pricey and very seldom available used.

For me, the worm gear steering and the ketch rig dropped it out of consideration. The ketch rig is mostly just more humbug on a boat this size. Fitting a mizzen staysail has very limited use because of its narrow useful wind range. A mizzen spinnaker would be more useful but a lot more hassle.

The worm gear is very strong and reliable but slow to input correction. That and the internal inertia are the reason they don't work well with Pendulum Servo Self Steering Vanes. It will hold the rudder in position without hanging onto the wheel but that's a plus and minus. You can't just release the wheel like on a cable steered boat or the tiller to have the boat round up on it's own and you have to steer both directions . The inertia/friction increases the force required to turn the wheel though that's mainly a problem for increased amperage required by a pilot to overcome the friction. An autopilot will be more complicated to install. A CPT pilot may be an easy install but check it out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 05:32   #10

Allied Seawind MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If the boat has worm gear steering you'll have to figure out how to add an autopilot.

These boats were built with rack and pinion, not worm.
Old 14-07-2019, 05:34   #11

Allied Seawind MK2

Quote:
Yes the mizzen mast is a great place for a wind generator but I'm also very intrigued by the idea of being able to fly a mizzen staysail. Are there any other possible locations for a wind generator?

Not really. The mizzen boom overhangs the stern, so no poles. The only other possibility is a wind gen in the fore triangle while anchored.

We had a short bout of flying an old mizzen staysail/spinnaker/mule thingy before we added the wind gen. I can honestly say that with our asymmetrical spin at the bow, and struck mizzen, the boat is faster and steers better than with all of that horsepower aft.
Old 14-07-2019, 05:42   #12

Quote:
Thanks Sailmonkey.

Below is a photo of the shoe of the boat I just put an offer in on.Attachment 195888

As was mentioned up thread, flat water tracking angles are 55-60 degrees (tacking through a 110-120 degree arc).

Yes, the shoe. What happens here is the rudder pin gradually wallows out the hole in the shoe, while wearing itself down. It’s repairable, but involves dropping the rudder. These rudders are close to 200# and are “fun” to put back into the boat.
Old 14-07-2019, 13:54   #13

Hi.
I also have a Seawind II. I just purchased mine last season but have been through much of the boat since then. If you have any questions I’d be happy to let you know anything I know. I did see someone mentioning an autopilot. I just installed a CPT in mine and it is working great. A few other Seawind’s have a CPT as well. So far it’s been A great boat. I’d say most Notable for problems is the mast support step rotting but that may very well ha e been taken care of by now. The Seawind forum is great too for questions.
Ryan
RtlNh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 14:52   #14

Since the boat is poor of the water I was able to attempt to move the rudder to check for play both at the shoe and at top of the shaft. I felt no play.
Old 14-07-2019, 18:33   #15

Quote:
Since the boat is poor of the water I was able to attempt to move the rudder to check for play both at the shoe and at top of the shaft. I felt no play.

Well, that’s a good sign. Probably means the boat was owned by someone who kept up with maintenance.

Tags
allied, Seawind, wind