Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 05:49   #31

Boat: formerly, Allied Seabreeze 35 sloop; now 21' Cobalt bowrider
Re: Allied Seabreeze with CB

Let me try again ---

Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58   #32

Sorry the photos above were so small; when it comes to these postings, I'm sailing upwind...
Old 14-02-2014, 13:28   #33

Now that the boat's all ready, my wife's had to go on Antivert, and is unable to cruise comfortably.

In case you know any sailors who may have an interest, here's a brief description of our boat ---

She's a 1965 Allied Seabreeze sloop, designed by MacLear & Harris, who worked with Olin Stephens (along with Francis Kinney & Al Mason) on designing Carleton Mitchell's famed Finisterre, the only boat to win the Bermuda race three times in succession. Finisterre was a wood boat, and the Allied Seabreeze is a fiberglass boat, sometimes referred to as "the fiberglass Finisterre." Our boat - Wolf Hound - is one of the bronze Seabreeze's (#23), built with a 380 pound bronze centerboard, mahogany trim wood, and a bulletproof hull. She's been repowered with a Beta Marine 35 diesel (which is a Kubota marinized in Britain with great design sense and attention to detail). These are peerless engines for such a boat, with a built-in oil change pump, and with reliable, widely available & inexpensive parts. The hull has just been professionally dried & barrier-coated with Interlux Interprotect.

She's right now in inside heated storage in Saugatuck (in one of R.J. Peterson's buildings), where we took her late last October from Macatawa, through some of Lake Michigan's 12 foot steep & close-together waves, which she handled with aplomb.

She's 35 x 10' 3" x 3' 10" (board up). Here are some drawings ---

<http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1371>

We have the dinette layout, however, which replaces the portside settee berth and pilot berth with a dinette that converts (table lowers) to a double berth. She has the space of a traditional forty-footer, and the seaworthiness & sea-kindly motion to match. She has pressurized hot and cold water in the galley sink & head, with a wash-down on the foredeck, a Raritan head with a holding tank, a three-burner propane stovetop with oven, and a cold-plate cooler. Sister vessels have sailed all over the world, and have circumnavigated, although Wolf Hound's never to our knowledge been beyond the Bahamas.

We are going to sell her this Spring, and have not yet placed her with a broker in the hope that we may sell her for less (without a commission) to someone who will take good care of her. Reasonable offers will be entertained.

We've had lots of interest, but no one's made up their minds for sure yet.

Alan
Old 14-02-2014, 13:42   #34

When you say "she's ready", do you mean she has new sails and rigging and everything?

Probably helpful if you provide a complete equipment list and the price you have in mind.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 18:29   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Price??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 18:59   #36
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I can't comment on the boat but I can comment on the fright/shipping. I bought my Alden on the East Coast US when I was living aboard in Newport Beach CA. I had not sold my other boat yet but was in the process of closing. I needed to get the Alden to the west coast quick fast and in a hurry on a budget. What I did was call numerous brokers in CA and finally found one that was delivering a similar size boat from west to east via freight within about 9 hours of where my Alden was located. The freight company gave us an amazing discount because the driver could make money there and make money on the way back.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:33   #37

She's the Ursula Andress of classic sloops --- fast, able, stunning & ready, but comfortable, too.

Her sails have seen some use, but are servicable, and include a jib, 140 jib and a cruising spinnaker; she has a Mack Pack on the main, and Hood roller furling. Her standing and running rigging are in good shape; she has a wheel autopilot, and her house batteries are two new Trojan T-106s, while her starter battery is a new West ~900 cca. She has a holding tank for her Raritan head, which is in good order.

We are in Indianapolis, and the boat and most of her records are in Saugatuck, MI, where she is inside in heated storage. She can cruise safely & comfortably as is, but we had planned to eventually update her electronics. How far one wants to go in that direction is largely a matter of personal taste.

We have got ~$55k into her, but have been told to put her on the market between $35k and $40k. Since she's not yet listed with a broker, I am personally willing to consider offers in the low 30's, based on comparing her with other Seabreeze's now on the market --- the "bronze" boats are better equipped not only with respect to the centerboard, but also with respect to the build-quality of other work. No expense was spared on the early boats (Wolf Hound is hull #23) which got bronze, mahogany and monel while later boats (as costs went up & profits went down) got aluminum, teak & stainless.

The early boats were termed "fiberglass Finisterre's" and have been favorably compared to Hinckley boats of that vintage. Is she ready to cross the Atlantic, as another Seabreeze (Arcturus) recently did? No she's not. But--- she's not so far from it that a knowledgeable sailor with a fairly modest budget couldn't get her ready to go in a reasonable time. As many of you know, these things are a matter of detail after detail after detail--- and afloat in difficult circumstances, seemingly small details may matter greatly.

She's an excellent boat, well-worth the time and trouble of a capable sailor, who she has the bones to serve capably for many years to come. She's well-located, and may readily be sailed anywhere on the Great Lakes or East coast, although trucking her to the West coast via a reliable transporter will likely cost perhaps ~$10k.

Does any of that help?

Alan
Old 17-02-2014, 10:46   #38

Forgot to mention the Blue Seas ELCI box and 30-amp Marinco EEL 50-foot shore power inlet & cord...
Old 18-04-2014, 06:23   #39

HOW DOES THE ALLIED SEABREEZE PERFORM? I'M GOING TO LOOK AT ONE IN A WEEKS TIME AND FIND HER TO BE REAL PRETTY TO LOOK AT BUT HOW DOES SHE SAIL? HEAVY WEATHER? POINTS OF SAIL? SPEED? MOTION? CAN SHE MANAGE THE ICW OR A TRIP TO BVI? WE WILL MOSTLY BE IN LONG ISLAND SOUND.

ANY EXPERIENCE SHARED ABOUT THE ALLIED SEABREEZE WOULD MOST APPRECIATED.
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 13:25   #40

Boat: O'day 27

The PHRF of it is 189 so it's not that slow, its not a racer cruiser but its definitely quick compared to a lot of other cruisers.
Woohoo Vancouver!!
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:29   #41

You'll do fine in Long Island sound --- Seabreeze's are fiberglass Finisterre's, with all that implies.

They're excellent comfortable seaboats, and do well in a blow. We've been out in 45 knots & 12-foot (steep, Lake Michigan) waves, and the Seabreeze was unfazed.

Dollar-for-dollar, it's hard to beat a Seabreeze, especially if it's an early "bronze" model (with a bronze 380-pound centerboard). These early models have more Monel & mahogany, while the later ones have aluminum (CB), stainless, and teak...

Good luck in your search,

Alan
Old 22-08-2014, 11:50   #42

Here are some more photos ---

Old 22-08-2014, 11:56   #43

And two more ---

She's in the water & ready to sail. First $25k takes her...
Old 22-08-2014, 12:29   #44

That's a pretty boat! Good luck with the sale!
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 07:23   #45

Thank you.

Alan

Tags
allied