Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 13:02   #1

Boat: Yankee 30
Albin Vega Vs. Folkboat

Albin Vega 27 or a Marieholm Folkboat? Why?

Thanks and all the best!
Zach
thoamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:27   #2

Boat: Cascade
What do you want to do with it?
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:49   #3

and where do you live...
In Europe, atleast north the folkboat is very popular. I have only sailed one for one week in the archipelago, but i like it. They have more classic style so the price is higher then the vega.
And yes, tell us more what you want to do with the boat, where, how many....etc.
Because you can also buy a albin viggen, smaller than vega, but in two versions...one with longer keel. Called karlskrona viggen here in sweden.
And they look like the vega but only one big and one small window on each side instead of one big and two small on the vega.
Old 20-08-2009, 14:58   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I think the Albin Vega has quite a larger interior therefore would provide more storage and possibly a bit more headroom?
I can't state that as fact since I've not been aboard a Vega, however I know the Folkboat to have quite a small interior. Both are very seaworthy by reputation.
Regards
Old 20-08-2009, 18:16   #5

Boat: Yankee 30
Haha... ok hears the deal.... I'm kinda boat crazy right now.

There are three boats in my general vacinity; folkboat (10,900), albin vega (8,500) and yankee 30 (15,000). The vega is in need of a bit of restoration, re-rigging/electrical, no head, bad engine. Although it has a new bottom. the folkboat is in good shape. The yankee is in great shape with all new rigging, head, electrical, and just hulled. I haven't seen the interior yet. I am leaning to the yankee and the guy is willing to work with me on the price.

Sorry for the bombardment of Questions.... I know they are all good design, it is just such a big decision

I plan to sail around California for a bit then head down the coast to South America and off to points unknown west. I may go into the Caribbean and visit some friends for a bit, who knows. I sail alone so I would take a bit of time to properly outfit her before going off.

Thanks for the help everybody!!!
Zach
thoamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 19:59   #6

Boat: csy 37
i've owned both.

the folkboat was made very well - quality construction, imho. it was a really fun daysailor, heeling over in a moderate breeze and pretty exhilirating to sail. you have to be on the tiller at all times when the wind comes up. interior space is limited but good for maybe two for a week. never had a problem with it other than replacing the tired old inboard with an outboard.

the albin vega is about average construction. it's a good sailor and handles easily. has good interior room down below. i had some minor cracking in the glass around where the rudder post goes through the hull. i glassed over it and had no further problems. the engine/transmission unit was incredibly expensive to fix so i dumped it and put on a 7.5hp evinrude outboard. worked great. the "chainplates" are actually u-bolts. they wore at the point where the turnbuckle attached. but the good news is they were cheap and easy to replace.

i would recommend either boat. the vega, you may recall, was sailed around the pacific by john neale back in the 70's (or was it the 60's?) and he wrote a book about it - 'the log of the mahina'. good reading if you can find a copy of it.

after i sold each boat they were bought by young couples who intended to live and cruise on them. the folkboat remained in the florida keys where i sailed it, but i don't think the couple lived on it very long. the vega was bought by a couple who then went off to the bahamas and lived on it for at least a year - i accidentally met them in the berry islands one day.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 00:30   #7

A Circumnavigation

Albin Vega 27 - A true classic | VAGB - The Vega Association of Great Britain

You need to read the first link.......then you can make the choise.
Old 21-08-2009, 14:29   #8

Boat: Cascade
By the way watch out for the variable pitch prop on the Vega, another tip is look for mast compression.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 15:11   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
There is a really facinating book titled "BERSERK". It is a true story about a young man who sailed an Albin Vega from Sweden around the horn to Patagonia and then south to Antarctica!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 17:24   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
A good friend of mine has had the Marieholm Folkboat for over 15 years. It seems rather well built, but a few things I did not like about it compared to my 26-foot pocket cruiser: Little interior space and no standing headroom. Little storage space. He's had constant problems with the outboard in the well and has found there is not adequate buoyancy in the back to hand one off there either without problems.

I'm really happy I chose a boat of equal length with much more space. However, I think they certainly have good reputations as well built boats.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 19:15   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
None.

Look for something slightly bigger.

I have sailed an Allegro 27 (actually 26). You can look her up at norlinboats.

No standing height in any of such, too little load carrying capacity (just good enough for a rich solo that will buy new foodstuff no matter West Indies or French Polynesia), too vulnerable in the big seas.

If looking the Scandinavian way then look towards the bigger Laurin (32), the bigger Marieholm (32) or a Vagabond 31 or Allegro 33. Probably theses are the bootom limit of what makes sense in such a long run/sail.

Then look at the Dutch market - they have some great inexpensive boats for the job.

But why buy in Europe? Have you looked in the US? - great boats at great prices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 19:39   #12

Boat: Bristol 32
Read "BerserK" by Mercer. That will tell you about Vegas. Actually, it will tell you more about young scandinavians.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 22:28   #13

Re: Albin Vega Vs. Folkboat

Freetime,

I was wondering what you can tell me about this type of boat. There is one being given away in New York, USA, and I want to go get it.

Here is a link:

Free: 22 ft. full keel sailboat

Thank you very much.
truewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 11:51   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoamii View Post
Haha... ok hears the deal.... I'm kinda boat crazy right now.

There are three boats in my general vacinity; folkboat (10,900), albin vega (8,500) and yankee 30 (15,000). The vega is in need of a bit of restoration, re-rigging/electrical, no head, bad engine. Although it has a new bottom. the folkboat is in good shape. The yankee is in great shape with all new rigging, head, electrical, and just hulled. I haven't seen the interior yet. I am leaning to the yankee and the guy is willing to work with me on the price.

Sorry for the bombardment of Questions.... I know they are all good design, it is just such a big decision

I plan to sail around California for a bit then head down the coast to South America and off to points unknown west. I may go into the Caribbean and visit some friends for a bit, who knows. I sail alone so I would take a bit of time to properly outfit her before going off.

Thanks for the help everybody!!!
Zach
Assuming the Yankee 30 is in good condition, I would buy it over the other two. It will have a larger interior and if it is one of the original 132 boats built by Yankee yachts, it will be a quality build. Don't know how they sail, but it's an S&S design, so it probably will do just as well as the Folkboat or the Albin Vega.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 12:43   #15

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

Curmudgeon has advised you well. Nothing wrong with any of the Folkboats, or with Albin Vega or Viggen. Good quality boats all!. But the Yankee 30, if in serviceable condition will be a vastly superior choice.
Now if you plan on sailing the roaring forties, solo, or something crazy like that, well,... never mind!
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega, folkboat