Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 15:20   #1

Albin Vega Interior

Im the owner of a vega, have refurbished the hull. Thinking of how to do the interior. For now Im thinking that a modern kitchen on one side, a dinette aft and a steering position forward (with a window) on the other side. Any thoughts on this design.
Tennebekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 15:30   #2

Re: albin vega interior

Some pictures, the boat in picture 1 is not a vega, but it is 27'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	4609
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	127930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilde 1193.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	127931  

Name:	Bilde 1196.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	127932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilde 1197.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	127933  

Name:	Bilde 1199.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	127934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilde 1190.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	127935  

Old 17-07-2016, 15:43   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I'm a big fan of the booth style settee as pictured. Do you have a photo of the interior of your boat? How blank is it?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 15:44   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well, you have a worthy, well regarded boat. I have spent some time on one last year.

The idea of an inside helm is a bit unorthodox for this boat I'm thinking. However I have spent a bit of time daydreaming about the same idea on my Pearson. Decades ago I always thought a pilothouse boat would be a good idea for me.

Anyway, I would consider the inside helm would be better suited to placement at the aft end of the cabin. Maybe a hard dodger on the cabin, with a raised helm that puts you head and shoulders above the original cabintop.

This would make good all round visibility more easily achieved and offer better access to the cockpit for deck work. For example when coming in to the dock shorthanded.

Sounds like a lot of work, too. Call it a pocket pilothouse cruiser.
Old 17-07-2016, 15:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I'm a big fan of the booth style settee as pictured. Do you have a photo of the interior of your boat? How blank is it?
Me too. Not sure if that works out in a Vega or not though, pretty narrow boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 15:57   #6

Quote:
Sorry, don't have a photo, but my interior is more or less like my exterior, its all plastic and shiny where it needs to be (roof, forward cabin and around). Also there is still some interior parts in the boat, but not many.
Old 17-07-2016, 16:00   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Yes, but does the interior already have somewhat of a layout in place, or are you customizing the layout completely?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Well, you have a worthy, well regarded boat. I have spent some time on one last year.

The idea of an inside helm is a bit unorthodox for this boat I'm thinking. However I have spent a bit of time daydreaming about the same idea on my Pearson. Decades ago I always thought a pilothouse boat would be a good idea for me.

Anyway, I would consider the inside helm would be better suited to placement at the aft end of the cabin. Maybe a hard dodger on the cabin, with a raised helm that puts you head and shoulders above the original cabintop.

This would make good all round visibility more easily achieved and offer better access to the cockpit for deck work. For example when coming in to the dock shorthanded.

Sounds like a lot of work, too. Call it a pocket pilothouse cruiser.
To put the "helm" at the aft of the cabin is a very good idea, it saves a lot of place, since its possible to use the dinette as a footwell. I think I will do that. Only thing is what to do with the space I just saved? Thanks a lot.
Old 17-07-2016, 16:11   #9

Quote:
Yes, but does the interior already have somewhat of a layout in place, or are you customizing the layout completely?
There is of course a layout, but this vessel was designed around 1965, so it was not so modern. I'm keeping the design mast and forward, but design aft of that I think not so much of. This boat is designed for a say 6 people, but nowadays not more than 2 would use such a small vessel. A modern kitchen would really give this vessel a needed upgrade. I'm thinking stone countertop, glass overhead cabinets, led downlights a nice sink and a decent stove.
Old 17-07-2016, 16:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Me too. Not sure if that works out in a Vega or not though, pretty narrow boat.
2,55m as I remeber, from centerline thats 1,275, and if the central walkway is 60 cm than it leaves 97,5 cm for the countertop, and its only 60 cm.
Old 17-07-2016, 16:21   #11

Boat: PSC Orion 27

The interior in the picture is my boat. Well one just like it. The orion 27 is a little over a foot wider but there are about 6" of shelving space on both sides, if you went right to the hull, the setup should work on the Vega. I have owned a pilot house before and found I didn't use the inside helm all that much, even in the Pacific Northwest. I prefer the simplicity of the tiller. Best bang for the buck would be a remote control tiller pilot that you could steer from inside the boat while looking through a forward port light.
Nice job on the refurbish, you have great boat there.

goat

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:26   #12

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Have you actually sailed and spent time on this vessel? A folkboat inspired 27 footer with a narrow beam makes a great sea boat, but accommodation below decks will always be a compromise.

A standard Vega would only accommodate 4 adults at best unless two others were to sleep in the cockpit. The Vee berth is also a little cosy by today's standards. I much preferred sleeping in the saloon when I had mine, leaving the better half to have the vee berth on her own.

However, if you are determined to progress on a redesign, search for "Cruising LeaLea" on youtube. Not only are they currently ripping out and replacing the interior on their Vega, but they also have spent much time living aboard and have done some distant travels to boot. This should give you a good idea of how the interior is assembled and the mods made by another long distance cruising liveaboard couple.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
The interior in the picture is my boat. Well one just like it. The orion 27 is a little over a foot wider but there are about 6" of shelving space on both sides, if you went right to the hull, the setup should work on the Vega. I have owned a pilot house before and found I didn't use the inside helm all that much, even in the Pacific Northwest. I prefer the simplicity of the tiller. Best bang for the buck would be a remote control tiller pilot that you could steer from inside the boat while looking through a forward port light.
Nice job on the refurbish, you have great boat there.

goat

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you, there is no forward looking windows on the vega, in the production models. The reason is the big forces from the mast. However I plan to use bolts to secure the windows, so there will be no structural weakness introduced, I think. My plan is also to strengthen the bulkhead under the mast with steel, but not really sure how to do it yet, if it gone be really strong it needs to be form a single unit, bonded to the hull. We will see.

Tennebekk
Old 17-07-2016, 16:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennebekk View Post
2,55m as I remeber, from centerline thats 1,275, and if the central walkway is 60 cm than it leaves 97,5 cm for the countertop, and its only 60 cm.
Keep in mind that one of the important things (in 3D view) is foot room under the table. On a narrow hull the hull shape may angle in from the beam to t he keel in a way so that it's very uncomfortable when sitting due to no flat floor for the feet. . You can solve this by going further up with the dinette. Best to mock up everything a bit before committing!

Think hard about inside steering, as mentioned, steering outside under a dodger is much easier to see. Also, many have an Autopilot on 90% of the time anyway!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Have you actually sailed and spent time on this vessel? A folkboat inspired 27 footer with a narrow beam makes a great sea boat, but accommodation below decks will always be a compromise.

A standard Vega would only accommodate 4 adults at best unless two others were to sleep in the cockpit. The Vee berth is also a little cosy by today's standards. I much preferred sleeping in the saloon when I had mine, leaving the better half to have the vee berth on her own.

However, if you are determined to progress on a redesign, search for "Cruising LeaLea" on youtube. Not only are they currently ripping out and replacing the interior on their Vega, but they also have spent much time living aboard and have done some distant travels to boot. This should give you a good idea of how the interior is assembled and the mods made by another long distance cruising liveaboard couple.
I have sailed her i little, in total maybe 2000km, and all of that when I was younger. I could not figure out how they had the layout on LeaLea, after watching several videos. Also you need to consider the weather where I'm living, its wet, I'm living in Bergen, so the need for an inside helm station is present.

Tags
Albin Vega, interior