Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 17:24   #46

Re: albin vega interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennebekk View Post
Staus today, after 30 min work.
Now with picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160805_160401.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	129091  
Tennebekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:28   #47

Quote:
Where aft cabin will be.
Now with picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160805_162322.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	129093  
Old 06-08-2016, 17:29   #48

Quote:
Bought seats.
Now wit picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09_1840449449.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	129094  
Old 06-08-2016, 17:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Do you mean to be attaching photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes, now corrected, thanks.
Old 06-08-2016, 17:41   #50

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Now with picture

Was there a structural bulkhead here?

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:53   #51

Quote:
Was there a structural bulkhead here?

Main structural bulkhead is of course the bulkhead under the mast, but I have weakened the structure in several places (especially by putting windows forward), but plan to strengthen in again, by using steel that I will plasterer and bolt into place. The bulkheads in the aft that I will loose I don't think will make a big difference. Comments appreciated.
Old 06-08-2016, 18:11   #52

Re: Albin Vega Interior

You'll need something else aft also for the hull to retain shape. The bulkheads keep the deck, that is fastened to the top of the hull, from moving side to side.

Old 06-08-2016, 20:32   #53

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Interesting project, I look forward to following your progress.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:13   #54

Quote:
You'll need something else aft also for the hull to retain shape. The bulkheads keep the deck, that is fastened to the top of the hull, from moving side to side.

In the aft bulkhead, next to the motor, I will make a big hole, so that I can sleep there, will need to think out some compensating measures, so that I don't weaken the structure too much. Will come back on this when motor is installed, and the hole is cut.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
Interesting project, I look forward to following your progress.
The project is unique in many way.

- Many have put in dinette, but I can not find anyone that have attempted it with "normal" chairs,
- I can not find anyone that have moved kitchen
- I can also not find anyone that have attempted forward facing windows.

On the prototypes of the boat there where forward facing windows, but for some reason (assuming structural) they where not included in the production model. The windows I have cut out is also larger than the windows in the prototype. My plan is to strengthen the hull around the forward facing windows using a large steel plate, with cutouts for the windows, that I will plaster and bolt in place.

I do not worry about resell value of the boat, since its very low anyway. My only concern is to get a boat that will fit my needs. I need sleeping for two persons in two locations, I need comfortable chairs for two persons, and a good kitchen. Probably I will use half of the bed in the v-berth as storage at a later stage, since I only need sleeping for two persons, but Im not sure about that, since I don't know if I will need the storage either, so for now I will build it like original, but will not hesitate to modify it later when I see what need I have.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:44   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Interesting. Some are lucky to have time, money and stamina to rip it all out and remodel.

Sure PLS keep us updated!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23   #57

Sitting here trying to make å plan for the rebuild. For now the plan is:

1 - Install the new motor, the motor is a new 15 hp diesel, with a gear and fresh water cooling. This will need to be an early activity since I'm not sure if I will need to modify some bulkheads to get it into the boat.

2 - Insulate the boat with 10mm closed cell sleeping pad "insulation". Plan is to bye say 10 sleeping pads (at around $10 a piece) and some white vinyl floor on top of that again. Have also considered using a little bit more fancy vinyl in the forward cabin. (see picture 1). Not 100% sure what glue I will use, but I will figure something out.

3 - Install windows - This is a bit tricky. I have purchased and cut out windows in clear lexan plates. My original plan was to bolt them in place, end of story. My thinking now is that this will maybe not be so super nice, and maybe not so super strong either, and maybe it will even leak. Maybe if I used some metal beams on the inside, it might be stronger at least. I would like darker windows, but hope this can be fixed with some foil on the outside. So for the time being I´m not 100% sure about how I will install windows.

4 - Install bulkheads - I have already purchased new laminate for the bulkheads, with teak in the last layer on each side. However, now I'm thinking it will be better to use the original bulkheads, and just paint everything white, with just some trim pieces in teak. It will be easier to make, look just as good, and be easier to maintain. My sheets of teak plywood I think I will sell again, unless I can find some use for them in the build. Do not plan to increase strength in any of the bulkheads, since I generally don't sail very hard, and It also seems like they are strong enough. Glassing in the bulkhead under the mast has occurred to me though, since I have weakened the structure hear by putting in forward facing windows.

5 - Install gally - Currently I'm not the owner of an propane owen for my galley, so I will just install my propane burner, that came with the boat, and buy an owen later, if this project is a success. For now I will buy a relatively large countertop plate (see picture 2), it costs around $110, its made from glued pine pieces. On top of this I will install a relatively normal sink, my propane cooktop and an access hatch for my propane cooler. Depending on how I install the cooler, it will leave my with plenty of space preparing good food. The details of how my tally will be is not yet clear, but its many months before we will be at that stage.

Also I'm trying to think out ways to install the electric-, propane-, diesel- and water-distribution system in an easy way, and at an appropriate time in the project.

Schedule wise I'm planning for the boat to be on the water in march next year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vinyl-flooring-wood-floor-vinyl-floor-tiles-unique.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	129226   Click image for larger version

Name:	hammarp-benkeplate__0462230_PE608002_S4.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	129227  

Old 09-08-2016, 08:07   #58

Bolting lexan in a manner that would lend itself to any structural support will lead to cracking of the lexan. The formula to successful bolting of acrylic (lexan also hates the sun) is holes larger than the fasteners and leaving the fasteners loose enough to allow the window to "float" beneath them, the acrylic, fiberglass, and stainless all have different rates of expansion when heated by the sun.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:33   #59

Quote:
Bolting lexan in a manner that would lend itself to any structural support will lead to cracking of the lexan. The formula to successful bolting of acrylic (lexan also hates the sun) is holes larger than the fasteners and leaving the fasteners loose enough to allow the window to "float" beneath them, the acrylic, fiberglass, and stainless all have different rates of expansion when heated by the sun.
Thanks for the advice. Will for sure do that. Will use though hull bolts, but not as many as I was originally thinking, since it will not contribute strength anyway, will use bolts that I can flush mount on the outside, and blind nut on the inside, so it will look better. Seems Dow Corning 795 or 3m double sided adhesive tape is a good way to go when it comes to selecting glue. Anyway, thanks for the advice, Sailmonkey.
Old 22-04-2018, 19:05   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Any updates?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega, interior