Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 17:02   #16

Boat: 1963 Columbia 24, Hull 30. SailingSineMetu.com
Re: albin vega interior

Not really relevant, but it's Vega related...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.JPG
Views:	1672
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	127937  
JBWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:11   #17

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

what the...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Keep in mind that one of the important things (in 3D view) is foot room under the table. On a narrow hull the hull shape may angle in from the beam to t he keel in a way so that it's very uncomfortable when sitting due to no flat floor for the feet. . You can solve this by going further up with the dinette. Best to mock up everything a bit before committing!

Think hard about inside steering, as mentioned, steering outside under a dodger is much easier to see. Also, many have an Autopilot on 90% of the time anyway!
Some kind of mock up will be made, my latest thinking is to make the dinette so high that it can serve as a steering position, is that be a good idea? Need to raise it less than a foot, and it would give plenty of storage below. Was this your idea also? Also maybe a good idea to say thank you.
Tennebekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:26   #19

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennebekk View Post
I have sailed her i little, in total maybe 2000km, and all of that when I was younger. I could not figure out how they had the layout on LeaLea, after watching several videos. Also you need to consider the weather where I'm living, its wet, I'm living in Bergen, so the need for an inside helm station is present.
It might be easier to opt for either a remote controlled autopilot and/or full camping covers for the cockpit. The Vega had an option of full camping covers when new and they do provide very good wet weather and wind protection for the cockpit with the roll down sides. It wouldn't be hard to replicate the idea and would provide the added benefit of more undercover area. If staying with the inside helm idea, a "bubble hatch" is an alternative to a forward facing window. Also, a lot of MFD's also have facility for one or two video inputs as well these days. I'm toying with the idea of using a camera to provide a forward view when temporarily down below.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It might be easier to opt for either a remote controlled autopilot and/or full camping covers for the cockpit. The Vega had an option of full camping covers when new and they do provide very good wet weather and wind protection for the cockpit with the roll down sides. It wouldn't be hard to replicate the idea and would provide the added benefit of more undercover area. If staying with the inside helm idea, a "bubble hatch" is an alternative to a forward facing window. Also, a lot of MFD's also have facility for one or two video inputs as well these days. I'm toying with the idea of using a camera to provide a forward view when temporarily down below.
Very good idea with cameras, it might it might also complement my idea, since one window will always just watch water. A remote controlled camera would then be perfect.

When it comes to camping coves over cockpit I'm more skeptical, side height would be very limited.
Old 17-07-2016, 17:45   #21

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

not bad...

DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:58   #22

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Very good idea with cameras, it might it might also complement my idea, since one window will always just watch water. A remote controlled camera would then be perfect.

When it comes to camping coves over cockpit I'm more skeptical, side height would be very limited.
This is a factory camping cover

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:01   #23

So, the current status is that my best option is to go for å high dinette, with a comfortable chair, on one side, and a modern kitchen, with large dish, on the other side, and a camera on the bow of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chair.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	127938  
Old 17-07-2016, 18:03   #24

One of my favorite watch positions is sitting in the companionway, feet on the ladder. From there you can see clearly forward and are protected by the dodger. Definitely much easier than a proposed inside steering on a boat with minimal visibility available, even with a forward window. You just sit there and adjust the autopilot. On a tiller boat, lines with block and tackle could be used for manual steering. I only had one boat with inside steering, I hated it in there. Visibility (even though it had big windows) always seemed hard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One of my favorite watch positions is sitting in the companionway, feet on the ladder. From there you can see clearly forward and are protected by the dodger. Definitely much easier than a proposed inside steering on a boat with minimal visibility available, even with a forward window. You just sit there and adjust the autopilot. On a tiller boat, lines with block and tackle could be used for manual steering. I only had one boat with inside steering, I hated it in there. Visibility (even though it had big windows) always seemed hard.
Then I need to rebuild my dodger, to include more windows, but I agree with you that this is a good way to steer a boat.
Old 17-07-2016, 18:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
This is a factory camping cover

Like my boat is set up its not possible to build something like this. I would however like to have something like this, so Im willing so sacrifice some speed for a canvas like in the picture. Maybe it would be possible to get some more speed by adding a bowsprit of maybe 3 ft.
Old 17-07-2016, 19:07   #27

The Vega is a very small boat to try to add more to the interior. An inside steering station will take away from something else. You will have to decide what is sacrificed for the (maybe) luxury. I agree with what others have said, that a good dodger and a remote on your tiller pilot, or control lines to your windvane make for the best watch standing (sitting) position. As far as the number of bunks, you are correct in that it is basically a 2 person boat. I cruised full time for 2 years in a Contessa 26 and since it only had one small hanging locker I sacrificed one of the V-berths and put a second hanging locker and moved the head to the side, rather than in between the V-berths. Being able to put wet foulies where they didnt get other clothes wet was well worth it. The other V-berth was never used for anything other than sail stowage and extra gear. I am not sure about the head room in a Vega, but typically the galley is in the rear of the cabin because that is where you have the most headroom and also more ventilation. Also the motion is just a little less further aft, and for cooking that can make a big difference. I think the Vega is a good boat, so be a little cautious about re-inventing the wheel. There is a good Vega thread going on the sails and deck hardware section of our forum. It is worth looking at. Good Sailing. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:17   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Im the owner of a vega, have refurbished the hull. Thinking of how to do the interior. For now Im thinking that a modern kitchen on one side, a dinette aft and a steering position forward (with a window) on the other side. Any thoughts on this design.
Depends on where you want to go. If you want to make long passages then you need a good seaberth and the dinette generally doesn't qualify unless you are willing to have it converted to a berth for the duration of the passages. Converting twice daily gets old real quick If you have a quarter berth as well as the dinette and are comfortable in it then I'd say that's pretty good.

Regarding the interior steering, that depends on when you want to use it.
Offshore on passage why? Autopilot/windvane should be doing most of the steering. If the interior steering station is forward it will be especially uncomfortable in heavy seas.

For inclement weather motoring: up and down the ICW, around the PNW or the inside passage to/from Alaska then it would be great. Once again when the seas get up it won't be comfortable forward.

If you move the helm aft to the back of the main cabin then you are taking over valuable territory. As long as doing so leaves you a quarter berth for rough weather sleeping then it should be an OK modification.

Depends on what you are going to do with the boat. Don't expect to recoupe any of the costs for this. Few people are going to pay extra for an owner mod this extensive.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 16:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Depends on where you want to go. If you want to make long passages then you need a good seaberth and the dinette generally doesn't qualify unless you are willing to have it converted to a berth for the duration of the passages. Converting twice daily gets old real quick If you have a quarter berth as well as the dinette and are comfortable in it then I'd say that's pretty good.

Regarding the interior steering, that depends on when you want to use it.
Offshore on passage why? Autopilot/windvane should be doing most of the steering. If the interior steering station is forward it will be especially uncomfortable in heavy seas.

For inclement weather motoring: up and down the ICW, around the PNW or the inside passage to/from Alaska then it would be great. Once again when the seas get up it won't be comfortable forward.

If you move the helm aft to the back of the main cabin then you are taking over valuable territory. As long as doing so leaves you a quarter berth for rough weather sleeping then it should be an OK modification.

Depends on what you are going to do with the boat. Don't expect to recoupe any of the costs for this. Few people are going to pay extra for an owner mod this extensive.
I want to do single day sailings, and weekend sailing, and maybe some other sailing, however I do see your point in not having adequat sleeping quaters, so I will make an aft cabin on the same side as the 1ft lifted dinette (doubling as steering position). For the forward cabin, I will use half of it as storage. So for now the design is very far from original, since I now have an aft cabin. I will also make the forward part of the kitchen full height for better storage. Aft of the cockpit it is also possible to add some kind of access-hatches to improve access to the rather large volume there.

When it comes to economics I do realise this is not profitable, but I have an $800k equity on my house and me and my wife have a very decent income, so if I get 10k or 45k for the boat, if I sell it, does not matter too much.

Thank you Adelie, for your input.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:13   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As an owner of a boat with a similar size interior and former owner of a smaller boat... first, what kind of sailing? It all comes down to that. Mostly coastal cruising with 2 people then, yes, the dinette set-up is good with the stove and sink on the (typically) starboard side. You do lose some storage space. You should have room for a small quarter berth on each side. Who will be sleeping in the boat? Even in the dinette, if you lower the table for a double berth, it will be a tight fit. Personally I think it is a better use of space to keep the interior as it was originally designed and make the table easily moveable to serve alternate layout desires. I would consider moving the galley forward to allow for quarter berths if you wanted them. I'd also build a comfortable removable seat for the companionway, tiller extension and a good dodger to satisfy the desire for another "helm station." My old Columbia 24 had a forward window I could look out of while I stood inside the cabin, steered and made coffee... a mini pilot house! I also rebuilt the mast support arch on mine recently, you can check my albums for photos. It is bomb-proof, but I keep bumping my head on it! Plan on a cushion on it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega, interior