Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 17:21   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to caribcruiser
pirate Albin Vega 27 ?

Is this an offshore cruiser? From what I have read so far, is that you can take them out pretty far and that they won't give you a big problem. Can somebody confirm this whether you have had one or not? I know crossing an ocean with one is risky (I know its been done before with one), but what are it's limitations? Are they good single handed boats? Fun to sail? Any input would be great.
caribcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:02   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
A+

caribcruiser

I have had one for two summers now, haven't really been cruising offshore with it as I live on Lake Ontario. But it will handle 25kts and four or five ft swells no problem and still fairly dry, (the most I had the opportunity to be in). Like wise every thing I’ve read about make them seem like seaworthy little boat.
But it is a smaller boat, it’s great for single handing which I do a lot of, but with more than four in the cockpit it is crowded but I have had up to eight adults aboard for a day sail and often six, some have to stay forward or below though.
The boat handles well except for in reverse, (but this is same for most sailboats), the prop is in an unusual position above the rudder. If you are looking for one, get one with a diesel, I have a gas which I am replacing. The combi prop on mine works well but there are reports of problems and high costs to repair. The hull on mine was near perfect, I scraped and sanded every inch and there was only some very minor gel coat flaws at the topstripe crease these if filled with 3M filler. The chain plates are different on the Vega as they run horizontally in under the deck joint, I think they are a strong way to install them and I can’t ever see them developing a problem. The deck stepped mast can also be a problem but if it is correctly reinforced its great. Also if it has the original roller boom reefing you might want to change over to flake reefing with lazy jacks.
Overall though I think they are great little boats and I intend to make it to the Atlantic some day.

Glenn
PS They're going for good prices now.
glenn.225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:14   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Vega 27

I followed a couple on U Tube that sailed one from Hawaii to Washington
Gailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:40   #4

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailwind View Post
I followed a couple on U Tube that sailed one from Hawaii to Washington
I saw that to.

Anyway, I think that most consider that a serious pocekt ocean crosser similar or close to a Contessa 26.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 20:30   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to caribcruiser
So aside from those incidents that happen (you are never 100% safe) it is able tho go from the US east coast to Bermuda, and also down to the caribbean?
caribcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Albin Vega is a great pocket cruiser.

See John Vigor’s review and Timothy Gill’s owner’s comments
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribcruiser View Post
So aside from those incidents that happen (you are never 100% safe) it is able tho go from the US east coast to Bermuda, and also down to the caribbean?
Yes it is.. dependant on skippers abilities....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51   #8

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Ive always liked the Vega although ive only seen one in real life. From my research it seems that they have their weaknesses just like any other small boat, it seems they have weak support for the deck stepped mast and weak rudders as the main problem areas so check these. My takeaway after a lot of research on them is that they have as many structural issues as most other older cruiser racers of this size and are quite small for their length but have a nice hull design,so like any other boat you are going to be doing a lot of fairly major upgrading if you are going offshore,unless of course you can find one that has already been cruising and has been upgraded.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Vegas are classics and several have circumnavigated.

But they are also small old boats. You wouldn't be allowed to enter one in the Bermuda races, simply because they are below the size limit and in some eyes, that makes them unsafe offshore "period".

Given a boat that is in good condition, solid rig, and a competent crew with experience especially in weather prediction, you can take it anywhere. But if you have to question it, you'd probably want to stay coastal until you're more certain of the boat, and your own experience.

Either way...take good care of her, you've got a venerated classic!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40   #10

Good evening,

I grew up in Port Elizabeth on the South African east coast. Way back in 1981 I was hanging out at the Algoa Bay Yacht Club and a young chap called Brad, from California pulled into club basin on a Vega 27, singlehanding around the world.

Happy as Larry with his humble little vessel.

About 1990, I am hanging out at the Club again (still) and here comes a little Vega 27 into the club basin. The skipper? Brad from California again, second time around complete with a pretty wife this time.

So twice around, and the ability to pull a hot chick, they cannot be too bad.
As the saying goes, "are YOU able to sail it around the world?"
The Vega 27 sure can.

Happy hunting,
Regards,
Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:30   #11

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribcruiser View Post
Here is a blog written by a young couple who took theirs to the Caribbean. Some interesting work they did on their refit and if I remember correctly they also replaced the engine. It's a good read.

The Log of Whisper
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Just reading a book called "Berserk" by David Mercury who hires a Vega and her young Norwegian owner to take him from Chile to the Antarctic for an adventure.

Quotes from Amazon:

"Chilling... from the moment the Berserk sets sail, the boat seems to be always one wave from capsizing"

"This is suicide!' Manuel screamed frantically"

I am just up to the bit were they sail past Cape Horn and the storm is starting to build. I need to turn the fire up a bit to read the next chapter

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 16:20   #13

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
Here is a blog written by a young couple who took theirs to the Caribbean. Some interesting work they did on their refit and if I remember correctly they also replaced the engine. It's a good read.

The Log of Whisper
I thought you might find this interesting.
Their boat "whisper" is for sale on Yachtworld for 20k.

Edit;
I just found "whisper" for sale here on this forum for 15k.

Somewhere in their blog I saw Hans in a picture with his inboard motor, I wanted to show it to my girl but can't remember where it was.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 17:18   #14

Boat: Cape Dory
On that "other" forum

there is a poster on SN who has crusied a Vega extensively (multiple crossings over many years). He has "vega" in his username so he shouldn't be too hard to find (its "vega" follwoed by a number). He always struck me as a reasonable guy with worthwhile opinions. If you are serious about the 27, I'd search for his old posts and start reading.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41   #15

He's also on C.F. user name vega1860. He sailed his Albin Vega from Hawaii to Washington state, I think his name is Chuck.
boatgearguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega