Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 12:09   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
I know the weather is generally not good.
Jessica Watson has a video on her site of her going round a few days ago. It was pretty calm with only 40 knot winds
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:22   #17

Saw this ad a while back. By the time I called it was gone.

Old 21-01-2010, 16:30   #18

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Yes, the Mark 2 Albergs have the better galley layout, IMO. It's in the starboard aft corner of the cabin, with a partial bulkhead at the forward end, ahead of the range. Easy to fit a couple of padeyes & a chicken strap.

I don't think anyone will do a 200 mile run in a boat under 40 feet except in exceptional circumstances. If you had 38 feet at the waterline & pushed your boat at hull speed for 24 hours (without breaking something), it is just possible. Regular 200 mile days are the domain of 70 foot boats. I agree that 110-150 miles should be the norm in this size though.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/200mile.pdf
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:27   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
This seems like a very reasonable price for what you are after. But, of course, I haven't seen the boat.

For Sale: Ingrid 38 Sail Boat Bluewater Yachts

regards,
Old 21-01-2010, 18:44   #20

Thanks. I sent an inquiry for more info. I really like the traditional looking cabin trunk on this one in Mexico:

1974 Bluewater Yachts Ingrid 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 21-01-2010, 19:33   #21

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
One should never think that owner built always means shoddy workmanship. Sometimes, I agree that is the case, however, more often than naught owner completed boats are very fastidioudly and professionally completed. I've found many to be to a higher standard that boats finished on an assembly line of minimum or low wage workers who want nothing more than for the day to end and hit their favorite watering hole.

As for the Ingrid, Bentley, Orca or Alajuela 38, interiors were largely an option and I suspect the majority of these great Water boats">blue water boats were in a large part owner completed.

They are not all that slow despite their bulk. The ketch is perhaps a bit slower than the cutters but neither is really a dog. All of the above are essentially the same hull, some are ballasted at 8K pounds and others at 10K pounds, but all are rock solid hulls with kindly sea keeping ability. Anyone of the above would make a great sailboat for the suggested trip. It is most assuredly why I chose my Bently for the solo circumnavigation that I am planning for 2012.
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 21:16   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Zednotzee must not have sailed on one of Atkin's double enders. We had a best days run of 176nm through the water, did 178 and 181 in 24 hours on other Westsails, did over 900 mile is six days, and averaged 118 nm per day, with virtually no engine use, for over 10,000 miles, all recorded on a Walker Log. Expect the Ingrid design would easily top 200mpd in force 4-5 reaching conditions because of it's longer water line and regularly do 150nm plus days. Would expect the Alajuela 38 mark 2 to average at least 20nm over our average because of the better light air capabilities.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:48   #23

An Atkins Eric did win the first non-stop round the world singlehanded race.
Old 22-01-2010, 16:15   #24

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Thumbs up

Greetings All,

I am new to the forum and finally found one I can contribute something to. I have never sailed an Alberg but I own an Ingrid. She is all wood built in 1995 by the Makela Brothers Boatwoarks in Fort Bragg CA. I concur that the Ingrid is alot of boat for her LOA. Hates the marina and loves the Straits of Juan de Fuca. She points best with main and jibs only and is she is easily trimmed to sail herself. The auto pilot as little to do when things are set correctly. "Sea Kindly" is her nature. Interior room is enough for two or three although cozy. My boat according to her log has made several trips uphill and down from San Francisco to Port Hadlock WA in the hands of her previous owner. I like the ketch rig for ease of handling the individual sails. Havent had her very long but it's a love affair, I can tell you that,
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 23:04   #25

Sounds like a beautiful boat. Do you have any pictures?
Old 24-01-2010, 14:21   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Tim H,
That one in Mexico looks like a great boat. Sure do love the heating stove. Looks like a woodburner.
regards,
Old 24-01-2010, 14:39   #27

Boat: looking
Tim,
There has been a Bluewater Ingrid cutter for sale in Comox, on Vancouver Island, for a couple of years. I have no involvement in the boat or it's sale, just thought I'd point it out. It's in www.boatjournal.com
It's loaded with gear, by the way the ad reads. Hope this helps, as it's a little bit closer to home than the afore-mentioned.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 17:04   #28

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Tim- I bought the boat through Walter Wallace over in PT he did a in photo layout for the previous owners. Even though it was last summer the link is still live. She has a Perry pilot house. Good for the PNW climate. Wallace Yacht Company (Port Townsend, WA)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 07:15   #29

The boat in Mexico is real nice. I wish it was closer. If it was I would buy it.

I cant find the one in Comox, maybe it sold?

Nice wooden Ingrid!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:05   #30

Boat: Ingrid 38 Cutter S/V Kokopelli
If you are looking at Tumbleweed in Guaymas MX we were the 3rd owners of her. We sailed her to La Paz MX, and would have still be her owners if my husband had not been seriously ill at the time. She handled great coming down the coast from Washington to La Paz. We were part of the Baja HAHA in fall 2002. The galley worked well underway. We currently live in St Augustine,FL, and had the good fortune to find another Ingrid in Ft Myers. KoKopelli is a cutter rig. We just spent the summer aboard her up in the North Carolina area. We sailed her up the Gulf Stream to NC, and offshore back down to Florida in November. It was great to be on another Ingrid again. So I guess you know what my choice would be...
FLKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg