Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 08:11   #16

Boat: 1978 Philbrooks Fast Passage 39
Re: Alberg 37 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ran across this today, may be of help:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...un-122895.html
Thanks for that. An interesting thread, which after reading, I realized that I'd read the last part of when it appeared in a search. But the opinions leading up to the eventual buyer finding it were worthwhile to read, and that someone eventually ending up buying it and considered it a good deal. Just shows that it all depends on what you're prepared to put into it, I guess. A shame that the photos are no longer there, but from the description, this A37 was in far worse shape than the one I looked at (asking $28K CAD). I might re-visit this boat if it's still listed in a while, but for now, I am looking at boats closer to my original intent: 30-35' cruising boat capable of offshore for under $20K CAD, with comfortable cockpit space, decent galley and v-berth for two. I am partial to Ericson, and if the right boat doesn't appear within a month or so, I may settle for a smaller boat for under $10K CAD (Ericson 27 or similar) just to get on the water this season. I have already been looking for a year, and have no intention of missing another season. I can afford to buy a smaller, cheap boat and continue to look for the right boat, while also getting practice on the water and enjoying sailing. This means that major project boats are no longer an option; I need a boat that can be ready for coastal cruising within a month or two, and it either needs to have most of the gear needed for cruising (sails, rigging, working engine, interior essentials), or be priced accordingly so that I can add them within a month or two.
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 08:42   #17

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Alberg 37 opinions

I agree with the others that 28hp should be fine. My boat weighs about the same and I have no problems with my 3YM30 powering it. The price of a new mast and rigging plus a diesel engine would likely exceed the asking price of the A37. The interior can be cleaned, restored or just painted for a lot less $$ than a mast or engine.
Most boats in the category you seem to be looking in are going to need some work. I’d be partial to finding one where the big ticket systems (rig, sails, motor,ST winches) have already been done. Cosmetic items and electronics offer more flexibility to you making do and going sailing until you have the time and/or money to tackle. Just my 2 cents based on my own experience.
There is certainly nothing wrong with going smaller and going sailing now without having a project! Best of luck!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg