Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 23:03   #1

Alberg 37 in Kemah, Texas

Any chance that anyone active, or just browsing, here has looked at an Alberg 37 that's for sale here near Houston? And if so, are you willing to share any comments? I know it's a long shot, but it isn't costing me much to ask the question. Thanks if any comments are offered.

Jim
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Jim, where is the boat? I'll be going down tomorrow.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 17:47   #3

Boat: Alberg 37
Check www.alberg37.org there should be more info about the boat. I believe her name is Good News.
kushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 18:03   #4

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Looks really good, had I looked at it b4 I went power (82 Mainship) I would have been very tempted, even though I do not know how to sail.

You are in Houston I notice, so you know. Air conditioning is a must, not a luxury but a must. No need to ac underway, but back at the dock so you can plug in and sleep, a must. If you do not anchor out much in the heat of the summer (7-8 months a year) no generator needed.

I lived near Seabrook, Friendswood, for 15 years. Life would have been pure hell w/o AC.
Old 12-03-2010, 18:50   #5

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushka View Post
I believe her name is Good News.
That should be her. It appears to be a very nice boat, though I haven't seen her in person. Good luck!
Old 13-03-2010, 07:51   #6

Until a few weeks ago Good News was parked next to me. I have not been below, but from all apperances the previous owner adored her and took really good care. Above decks she is beautiful. I think the boat would be worth a visit if you are considering an Alberg as I would imagine it is one of the better cared for boats on the market. I will ask around and see if anyone here give it a closer look.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 09:38   #7

Thanks for the input. The Alberg 37 design appeals to my sense of boats - which are largely based on a long-held love affair for the look of a Bermuda 40, especially those with navy blue hulls. OTOH, a yawl rig does not really fit my criteria so well - thus it is a bit of a conundrum to me.

And then, this forum has recently included a lengthy discussion of why you should avoid a dark colored hull despite their beauty (to me), and so I'm now conflicted about that as well.

As I type this, I realize it sounds like I am seeking excuses to not make a decision, and maybe that's right ...

(Is it possible that I have become a power boater, without even knowing it? Yikes.)

~~~
Old 13-03-2010, 09:43   #8

Hi Raindog

On most weekends that I am not in Houston, I am in Austin. I think it's just a super great city to hang out.

If you do pick up any insights into the A37, I'd love to hear, as a post or an email/PM.

I have to add (just can't control myself at times): Hook "'em !

~~~
Old 26-03-2010, 18:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
a yawl rig does not really fit my criteria so well - thus it is a bit of a conundrum to me.
The rig is not as big a deal as you may think. The mast is the same, with a shorter boom & a little less area on the main. The mizzen is deck stepped & easily removed by two people. My boat didn't have the mizzen stepped when I bought her, & the boat still balanced just fine without it.

As for the hull colour, I know what you mean. The dark hulls look fantastic, but I'd be concerned about how warm they might get.
Old 26-03-2010, 21:05   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I think Good News is hauled out at South Texas, walking distance from me. Her sister ship is on my pier and is as fine a vessel and I have ever seen. If you are a serious looker (as in, you are definitely looking to buy ) I'd be glad to check her out for you, take some pictures and such before you make the long drive. (I live aboard in Clear Lake).
Erika
Old 11-04-2010, 20:54   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Good news is now in my marina.... she looks great. I can go through her if you like and snap some photos....just give me the go ahead.....a nod, a nod will do..... can ya wink? a simple wink will suffice... uh I think I saw you twitch, that is the go ahead I was looking for.

Erika
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13   #12

I went through the boat about 2 weeks ago with a friend that was interested. She is in better shape on deck than below. I think the labor far outweighs material cost to put her back where she deserves to be. If someone wanted to do a proper re-fit she needs to be taken back to bulkheads and floors but with the market the way it is if you could aquire her at a reasonable price contractors are willing to work with you. The boat is beautiful and needs someone to do the job right. I could not find any major structural issues, soft spots or tabbing coming loose, and the aux appears to be in good shape. I hope someone see's the potential.
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01   #13

These recent posts have been the sort of info I was fishing for when I initiated this thread - all comments are useful and I thank the writers.

I had found this one on the ALberg 37 website, and contacted the owner dirctly. He was polite but sent me an email indicating I should speak to his broker. I have had several email exchanges and a couple of phone calls with the broker and I would not say they went well from my perspective, although he would no doubt have a different opinion.

I have seen Good News fromt he outside, when she was docked at brokerage slips over near the bridge. That was back in November. At the time, I felt the outside was maybe solid, but certainly not pristine. I later saw the photos on the web, and felt the inside might be the saving grace. Thus, the comments here from Stuffingbox are very much of interest as they reverse that opinion and are based on actually getting to see her up close and in person.

The last thing I heard from the broker was that someone was about to buy her so there was no reason for me to look since I had acted too slowly. Then he wrote to say the deal went south. I guess maybe that buyer was the friend of Stuffingbox.

As I in an earlier post, I am not quite ready to go for a two-masted rig, but otherwise I love the classic, solid boats of this ilk. The navy hull is okay. My last crusing boat on the Gulf Coast had a navy blue hull as well, and the temperature was never a consideration. If anything, it was a matter of keeping her from fading too badly.

But at this point, the combination of the yawl rig, the price asked, and the attitude I encountered in inquiring about her, have pretty much taken Good News off my list. That isnt to say she couldnt get back on, however. For me, I fuilly know this is all about whim and impulse, with a dash of knowledge and caution thrown in.

again - thanks for the conversation.

~
Old 12-04-2010, 14:02   #14

I just re-read my post above, and it is too late to change it any, so may I say -
I never met the broker, and it is fully possible that if I had, the interaction would have gone much better.

Also -
Erika, you can certainly check her further, and I welcome any thoughts. In fact, I got another one I might ought to ask you about...
I drove around in the Watergate Yacht Center yesterday as I thought Good News was there and wanted to just stand on the finger pier next to her one more time, but now it's interesting to know she's parked next door.
I see I mispelled the screen name for "stuffinbox" and apologize for that unintented gaff.
And along a similar line, geez, what awful spell checking I did while posting (too fast), sorry about the bits that are harder to read than they need to be.

Jim

~
Old 16-04-2010, 11:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
These recent posts have been the sort of info I was fishing for when I initiated this thread - all comments are useful and I thank the writers.

I had found this one on the ALberg 37 website, and contacted the owner dirctly. He was polite but sent me an email indicating I should speak to his broker. I have had several email exchanges and a couple of phone calls with the broker and I would not say they went well from my perspective, although he would no doubt have a different opinion.

The last thing I heard from the broker was that someone was about to buy her so there was no reason for me to look since I had acted too slowly. Then he wrote to say the deal went south. I guess maybe that buyer was the friend of Stuffingbox.

But at this point, the combination of the yawl rig, the price asked, and the attitude I encountered in inquiring about her, have pretty much taken Good News off my list. That isnt to say she couldnt get back on, however. For me, I fuilly know this is all about whim and impulse, with a dash of knowledge and caution thrown in.

~
Just a note, I checked the listings & noticed that the asking price on this boat has been reduced by about $10k. Might be worth another look now.

If the broker gives you any static this time, I think the seller would be interested in hearing about that!

Tags
alberg, kemah, texas