Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 06:27   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Alberg 37 buy or run?

Not worth fixing, but if you have another boat in mind the 5k might be worth the salvage parts and wood. But you'll still have a boat to get rid of and that will cost you $$$
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:28   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norscot View Post
are the pictures not there?
They showed up after I posted. If you really have your heart set on THAT boat, dont pay more than 500. Its not worth more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:35   #18

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

The photos showed up after my post, too. If I were looking for a project, and I saw that boat on the Internet, I'd probably pass, figuring I could probably find a more promising prospect. But it might be worth pursuing. Algae and mold disappear quickly with scrubbing and sanding.

Are the decks really soft all over the whole boat? Or just in spots. Spots are not hard to fix. All over is a big project.

Does the engine run? Is it seized? Does it have water in the oil? Again, big differences among those three states.

Kevin 84 is in the ballpark on the value, is my guess. Maybe $1k just for the psychological benefit to the current owner.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:37   #19

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Besides the refit costs, one thing often forgotten is the ongoing cost of owning a boat this size. Depending on your area, you could easily spend nearly the purchase price in docking, storage, insurance and other regular maintenance costs.

I live close to where these boats were built and have seen quite a few. All had deck problems, most would have been fixed by now; That can be a lot of work depending on the extent of the damage, but most of the job is labor.

They are nice boats though, many have done long ocean voyages. They used to have quite a following, but seem to have fallen out of favor, probably due to age, and dated design: cramped interior for a 37'er by today's standard, narrow beam, long overhangs, keel hung rudder. While not the standard today, most of those features make for a great seakindly voyaging boat.

My advice would be to make your decision with your head not your heart.

These questions could help:
- where will you keep it ?
- how much will docking/mooring cost ?
- how much will storage cost ?
- how much will insurance cost ?
- is boat work allowed in the storage area?
- do you have the aptitude ?
- ever done anything similar (restored old car, etc.) ?
- do you tend to finish what you start?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:54   #20

Boat: Tayana 37

Norscot, the above advice is PRICELESS. Average dry storage runs $10/ft per month. And most storage yards dont allow you to work on your boat. Or if they do, they charge more. Usually $1-2/ft per day.

Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:57   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you're hell-bent on an Alberg 37, and nothing else, AND you have lots of time AND the necessary skills, AND the money to sustain the rebuild, then this might be a good boat for you. If any of these things are not true, then I would walk away.

I like the Albergs, but there are lots of good old boats out there. You could find similar classic designs that are in way better shape. This is only a cheap boat in the upfront price. It will be as costly, or more, by the time you get it ready. That may be fine for you. Some people buy boats in one up front price. Others of us buy them slowly by rebuilding over time. Either way they cost a lot.

I wouldn't buy this boat.
Old 21-03-2014, 07:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Tate, nice to see you back, and to catch up on your efforts. Keep up the good work, and ain't backing up in a straight line so much fun?!?
Thanks Stu. Backing up straight is the easy part. Coping with Dani jumping up and down in excitement while backing up. is the trick
Old 21-03-2014, 09:17   #23

Think you guys are right. I'll pass on it.
Norscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:38   #24

Just remember... a free boat is not free. You will spend a bunch of money anyway... why not get a boat you can use while fixing it up? If you spent $25-50k on an Alberg 37 that was someone's pride and joy you would be WAY ahead monetarily over that one.
Make a list, add up the numbers. Are you willing to spend every extra hour you have fixing for years?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 12:15   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Think you guys are right. I'll pass on it.
This is a wise decision. Congratulations!

There are very many forum members who ask questions like the one you posted only after they've made a commitment. They've fallen in love with the idea of the boat sailing in beautiful conditions and can't get that out of their head. They ignore all the advice given and go ahead and buy.

Way to go! Now go out and find a sailing boat with no soft decks and just needs a bit of cleaning or gear upgrades. Hire a surveyor before you buy so that you won't be surprised by any hidden problems (caution: surveyors don't always find problems but usually have more experience than buyers).

kind regards,
Old 21-03-2014, 12:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Norscot, the above advice is PRICELESS. Average dry storage runs $10/ft per month. And most storage yards dont allow you to work on your boat. Or if they do, they charge more. Usually $1-2/ft per day.

It was going to be around $540 a month to have the boat on the yard side of the storage place. Even if i was to complete the work in a year… the cost for storage alone was like $6500. I think it would have been at least a two year project.
Old 21-03-2014, 13:01   #27

what about this???

Old 21-03-2014, 13:23   #28

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
It was going to be around $540 a month to have the boat on the yard side of the storage place. Even if i was to complete the work in a year… the cost for storage alone was like $6500. I think it would have been at least a two year project.
You are lucky: the cheapest DIY yard prices I have found around here are $2.50/ft./day.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 13:53   #29

Boat: csy 37

if you're hell bent on getting an alberg 37 there's one for sale in my neighborhood - ponce inlet florida.

i personally knew the owner. he was a retired executive who always loved the alberg 37 and had the money to rebuild one to new standards. he bought her three years ago up in new england and had it trucked down to a boatyard in ponce inlet. he then spent the next year and a half having her completely rebuilt from the keel up. it shows like the day it came out of the factory - although much of the gear was updated to modern standards.

he put the boat back in the water and then he died. the widow put the boat up for sale for, i think, $80,000. but it's been for sale for a year or more and i think she may be more reasonable now. if you're interested it may be on yachtworld or get in touch with me and i'll find out more for you.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 14:21   #30

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

If you buy that boat you can be posting for the next two years on the progress of the rebuild. Damage is often more extensive than pictures or the eye can tell. The full extent of the rebuild may not become apparent until you start pulling things apart. A good boat builder friend of mine one told me he would rather build new than pull an old deteriorated boat apart then rebuild. If you have skill and patience you can make it a gem but cheap it will not be and you have to like building more than sailing.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg