Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Alberg 35

I have the oppertunity to buy a 1966 alberg 35 dinnet model. The boat is being sold due to a death in the family and it's being offered for a really, really, really, good price. I have talked with the family member and there are some soft spots on the deck and she does have the original A4 in her. I can do all the maintance myself and I have repowered my current boat with a desiel, so that's not a problem either. This weekend we're taking a drive down and taking a look at her. I plan on tapping out the deck and the hull for soft spots, see if she is leaking from the top side, and check on interior supports and tabbing. I guess my questions is how do these boats sail? From researching online it doesn't sound like they are great sailing boats. They can handle the weather ok, but they are slow. Our current boat, a 1968 blistol 29 which falls under the same catagory, but for her age she is actually a pretty quick little boat. My wife and I would love a bigger boat and for under a thousand dollars this might be a very good option and if not a little repairs and I'm sure we can make our money back. Any thoughts?

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:33   #2

if you can get that boat for under a grand i would not hesitate unless she's in pretty bad shape. as you're aware from the boat you have now. that being said these boats were designed to the CCA rule and as compared to later designs were slower than the newer designs. how ever as you yourself stated they can take the weather. my brother owns a 27 Bristol same designer and his boat is not fast but then again for the design is no slouch either. We have a GulfStar 37 that sails well and the difference is i can sail flatter than he can, so i am more comfortable. the Alberg boats seem to be wetter also going to weather, but will point higher than ours.hope this helps a little if you don't do the boat can you let me know where it is if in the NorthEast as my brother would like to go up in size and he has been longing for just that boat. regards mike
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 14:27   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
The decks on all of these are going have some issues, but they can repaired. On mine I drilled a bunch of holes, let it dry out and then filled with epoxy. Good enough for a 1960's boat. Be careful that you look at the bronze fittings on the boat. The gooseneck, the mast head, etc. These tend to get cracks and need replacing.

The boat is a CCA design. It wants to heal quickly to get any waterline. It has weather helm. Sounds like you are ready for a labor of love, so it will sail well enough for you.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 20:49   #4

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
I have the oppertunity to buy a 1966 alberg 35 dinnet model. The boat is being sold due to a death in the family and it's being offered for a really, really, really, good price. I have talked with the family member and there are some soft spots on the deck and she does have the original A4 in her. I can do all the maintance myself and I have repowered my current boat with a desiel, so that's not a problem either. This weekend we're taking a drive down and taking a look at her. I plan on tapping out the deck and the hull for soft spots, see if she is leaking from the top side, and check on interior supports and tabbing. I guess my questions is how do these boats sail? From researching online it doesn't sound like they are great sailing boats. They can handle the weather ok, but they are slow. Our current boat, a 1968 blistol 29 which falls under the same catagory, but for her age she is actually a pretty quick little boat. My wife and I would love a bigger boat and for under a thousand dollars this might be a very good option and if not a little repairs and I'm sure we can make our money back. Any thoughts?

Dave
Did you wind up buying the boat? What happend? The suspense is terrific!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:23   #5

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Alberg 35

Sorry for keeping everybody in suspense, but after looking at the boat we decided she wasn't the boat for us. She needed to be repowered, decks recored, and there was interior rot as well. The owner donated the boat to charity.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 35