Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 13:57   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Alberg 35

Can anyone give me some info on this boat? I found a nice but old one that has been rebuilt with a new engine.

Alberg 35 Sailboat REDUCED

I'm also looking at a 1985 36' S2 at about the same price with a newer engine.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../United-States

Is the 1985 boat that much better than the old ( I think it's a 1961) Alberg 35.?

A friend of mine with a kickass C & C 37 said he had an Alberg 35 pass him one day in a heavy weather situation. He said he couldn't believe it. Said he caught him later when it laid down some. Btw, the C & C guy has racing experience.....

Background info. I bought an old Bristol 27 as my first monohull a couple years ago. (raced small 16'-20' catamarans for 15 years before that) My Bristol wallows a bit downwind in heavy wind. Will the 12' wide S2 be tons better than the more narrow Alberg? Btw, the Alberg 35 (or 36' S2) is for when I do serious offshore stuff. Maybe Bermuda etc...........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 14:50   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Alberg 35

Alberg 35 are nice looking boats. The long over hangs make them a pretty boat in my eye. They have short water lines for a 35. They like to sail on their ear, i.e well healed over. They are small for a 35 with not much below. Get weight on the ends and they hobby horse in a seaway. The value of the boat would depend a lot on the refit quality.
Old 13-06-2013, 15:17   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Alberg 35 are nice looking boats. The long over hangs make them a pretty boat in my eye. They have short water lines for a 35. They like to sail on their ear, i.e well healed over. They are small for a 35 with not much below. Get weight on the ends and they hobby horse in a seaway. The value of the boat would depend a lot on the refit quality.
Yep, so is the S2 36 that much better offshore? I read the reviews and have a Bristol 27. I'm just wanting a little more input. I simply like the old full keel boats but if something like an S2 36' is tons better, I'll go that route.

The S2 has a PHRF rating of 140 or so making it lots faster than the 201 rating of the Alberg 35. Of course, that's probably arrived at from data racing in bays etc.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 15:25   #4

Boat: Tartan 40
If the Alberg has a new engine, and dry decks (big thing to look at) I think it may be a better offshore boat.
I have an old classic that is similar- but contrary to popular belief I don't think the design is what sets it apart as much as build quality. Stick built glassed in furniture and bulkheads, a fiberglass bonded and thru bolted hull deck joint, isolated deck core away from the toerail and hardware. Bronze rudder post, lead ballast, high quality all bronze sea cocks. All of these things are tougher to find in newer equally cheap production boats and give me full confidence offshore. Would I prefer a fin keel skeg rudder version? Sure, but name me one in the price range.
As for Phrf ratings, they are based on windward beating legs. In real world cruising waterline length matters more for passage speed.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 15:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yep, so is the S2 36 that much better offshore? I read the reviews and have a Bristol 27. I'm just wanting a little more input. I simply like the old full keel boats but if something like an S2 36' is tons better, I'll go that route.

The S2 has a PHRF rating of 140 or so making it lots faster than the 201 rating of the Alberg 35. Of course, that's probably arrived at from data racing in bays etc.
No doubt the S2 is faster boat. You'd have to really like the old look and design of the Alberg to want to buy it. Its a boat you can feel good about when you row back out to her at anchor. There will be more room in the S2 below. They are both old boats, so the refit and maintenance quality will have a lot to do with their value. I've never sailed or owned an S2. I owned an Alberg 35 for 15 years. Personally I'm into faster hull designs these days -- but they generally cost more for decent quality.
Old 13-06-2013, 15:36   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Good post, but I will say that the hobby horse comment is one much more often repeated on the Internet then by Alberg Sailors. They are more tender, but heel and stay there... Not necessarily uncomfortable.

The stowage is less then a more contemporary boat, but certainly adequate.

I would take the Alberg 35. If she looks anything like the pictures, she looks to be in good shape and a very pretty boat. Carl Alberg drew pretty boats that sail well and have good manners....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 15:56   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Comparing the two is a little like comparing an International Scout to a Chevy Impala. The Alberg 35 is stoutly built, cramped and is terrible dead down wind. I know...I delivered one. The S2 is faster, lighter and in my opinion scantly laid up. There is one next to me for sale. The guy had his rigging "tuned" and 1/2 the cabinet doors would not open or close properly. In other words, when the rig was tuned, it tweeked the boat. My advise is to keep looking. Maybe talk to a Surveyor and get his opinion. A good boat between these two might be a Tartan 34 or Islander 36 from the mid 70s.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 15:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Good post, but I will say that the hobby horse comment is one much more often repeated on the Internet then by Alberg Sailors. They are more tender, but heel and stay there... Not necessarily uncomfortable.

The stowage is less then a more contemporary boat, but certainly adequate.

I would take the Alberg 35. If she looks anything like the pictures, she looks to be in good shape and a very pretty boat. Carl Alberg drew pretty boats that sail well and have good manners....
Doing stupid things like beating to weather in the trades(the thorny path) my cruise loaded A35 definately did some hobby horsing.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:18   #9

Quote:
Doing stupid things like beating to weather in the trades(the thorny path) my cruise loaded A35 definately did some hobby horsing.
No doubt, I have too ( other Alberg boats ) but I have not found it to be the problem some make it out to be.

Similar to the allegation some might make against the S2 saying it won't heave to. Some truth to it, but certainly not a deciding factor.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
No doubt, I have too ( other Alberg boats ) but I have not found it to be the problem some make it out to be.

Similar to the allegation some might make against the S2 saying it won't heave to. Some truth to it, but certainly not a deciding factor.
I see you have your boat listed as an Ariel. Before I owned my Alberg 35 I owned an Ariel for a few years. On the Alberg 35 the hobby horsing was not near as distasteful to me as the low initial stability. I like boats that want to stand up - must be an age thing.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:28   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I see you have your boat listed as an Ariel. Before I owned my Alberg 35 I owned an Ariel for a few years. On the Alberg 35 the hobby horsing was not near as distasteful to me as the low initial stability. I like boats that want to stand up - must be an age thing.
Be careful...Might be a cat in your future
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:44   #12

Thumbs up Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Don't listen to Darth,

Resist the dark side Paul!
Old 13-06-2013, 16:59   #13

Quote:
That's what happens when you take the argument to the absurd.
Old 13-06-2013, 17:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If the Alberg has a new engine, and dry decks (big thing to look at) I think it may be a better offshore boat.
I have an old classic that is similar- but contrary to popular belief I don't think the design is what sets it apart as much as build quality. Stick built glassed in furniture and bulkheads, a fiberglass bonded and thru bolted hull deck joint, isolated deck core away from the toerail and hardware. Bronze rudder post, lead ballast, high quality all bronze sea cocks. All of these things are tougher to find in newer equally cheap production boats and give me full confidence offshore. Would I prefer a fin keel skeg rudder version? Sure, but name me one in the price range.
As for Phrf ratings, they are based on windward beating legs. In real world cruising waterline length matters more for passage speed.
PHRF ratings are not based on only the windward beating leg. They are based on a rounded course with beat, run and reach.
While those old designs were built heavily, the reality is that those bronze fittings are now nearing 50 years old. I had many failed bronze fittings in my 30 year old Alberg -- goose neck, toggles, mast head( AL).
Old 13-06-2013, 17:38   #15

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Comparing the two is a little like comparing an International Scout to a Chevy Impala.
Love the comparison! Had an International scout that wasn't pretty but got you everywhere safely. Even places you were not supposed to go.
There was a Tartan 34C on Cape Cod recently just needing an engine but value priced for well maintained condition. ( will try to find ad ) Would agree that it might be suitable compromise.

Tags
alberg