Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 16:41   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There are 2 types of S2's: the racers with cored hulls which are lighter and the cruisers. The 36' S2 has a displacement of 15,000 lbs, ballast 6,000 and has a 5'6" draft. As far as the bridge deck, does this count?

See attached. One is from my old Bristol which is definitely a bridge deck, but how about the S2's photo with the wheel steering.............

Btw, the Bristol photo is one of the ones I took when I first found it. It had been on the hard for 5 years...........fun stuff! It was loaded because the owner had left it on the Eastern Shore after a two year cruise to Florida from Massachusetts. He died of cancer before he could get back and sail it home. He was an old salt in his 80's.
I personally would rather have a BD and a small cockpit w/large scuppers for going off shore .I also look for things like leash attachments in the galley,a rather tight fitting head so as to be able to brace oneself in rough seas,hand rails in and out of cabin,high fiddels,rounded corners on furniture etc., when considering a boat for offshore sailing..I know others that think these things are not needed. They are at the dock most of the time and so maybe they are not needed..I would think most of these things are to be found on the Alberg....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 16:49   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
There are 2 types of S2's: the racers with cored hulls which are lighter and the cruisers. The 36' S2 has a displacement of 15,000 lbs, ballast 6,000 and has a 5'6" draft. As far as the bridge deck, does this count?

See attached. One is from my old Bristol which is definitely a bridge deck, but how about the S2's photo with the wheel steering.............

Btw, the Bristol photo is one of the ones I took when I first found it. It had been on the hard for 5 years...........fun stuff! It was loaded because the owner had left it on the Eastern Shore after a two year cruise to Florida from Massachusetts. He died of cancer before he could get back and sail it home. He was an old salt in his 80's.
I see on the S2 that the companonway hatch dosnt go to the sole of the cockpit, that is better than one that does if you encounter water over the gunnels..
Old 14-06-2013, 23:14   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
"S-2 for coastal crusing" I agree, as the S-2 has no bridge deck among other things not condusive to offshore sailing...imo
Attending boat shows, I have seen a number of boats the salesthing says are "classed Lloyd's Ocean A, for Offshore" (there's no "A" in "Offshore", as far as I know), and I've seen several without a proper bridgedeck, proper handholds, positive locking on sole panels and little in the way of backing plates.

So perhaps you and I are out of touch with the priorities of today's cruisers.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 09:31   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Attending boat shows, I have seen a number of boats the salesthing says are "classed Lloyd's Ocean A, for Offshore" (there's no "A" in "Offshore", as far as I know), and I've seen several without a proper bridgedeck, proper handholds, positive locking on sole panels and little in the way of backing plates.

So perhaps you and I are out of touch with the priorities of today's cruisers.
Yep...
Old 15-06-2013, 13:28   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

So I'm thinking now my $2,000 Bristol 27 is probably the boat I need for now.

I've raced (!?) it a bit against an Alberg 30 and Pearson Wanderer a few times (both boats are rated faster) and have yet to lose so it has speed comparatively speaking.

This old Bristol has all the attributes of the folkboat or Contessa 26 both of which can handle rough offshore work..............and I know the Contessa 26 has circumnavigated a couple times. Maybe I should put some paint on this old boat. (besides the hull) And add another set of reef points to the main which is 8 oz I believe.

I posted some pictures of this $2,000 boat so some of you thinking on waiting to get a boat will maybe change your mind. You need to get experience now before you are too old. Some of this is from another discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	62595   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	62596  

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	62597   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	62598  

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	62599   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	62600  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So I'm thinking now my $2,000 Bristol 27 is probably the boat I need for now.

I've raced (!?) it a bit against an Alberg 30 and Pearson Wanderer a few times (both boats are rated faster) and have yet to lose so it has speed comparatively speaking.

This old Bristol has all the attributes of the folkboat or Contessa 26 both of which can handle rough offshore work..............and I know the Contessa 26 has circumnavigated a couple times. Maybe I should put some paint on this old boat. (besides the hull) And add another set of reef points to the main which is 8 oz I believe.

I posted some pictures of this $2,000 boat so some of you thinking on waiting to get a boat will maybe change your mind. You need to get experience now before you are too old. Some of this is from another discussion.
Everytime I think I might want to get a different boat ,other than the one I now have, I always decide the one I now have is the one for me..Your Bristol looks to be a nice boat..
Old 15-06-2013, 13:47   #37

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Everytime I think I might want to get a different boat ,other than the one I now have, I always decide the one I now have is the one for me..Your Bristol looks to be a nice boat..
Yes it does.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Yes it does.
Thanks, fellas. It just took a while to get used to the motion. I'll spare you the details. Plus, my other boats could hit speeds of 23 knots although not in 5'-7' bay waves. The problem there with the racing catamarans is that you missed all the scenary.

I just came back from bouncing around for 5 hours just outside Little Creek. I sailed out which took forever against the tide but I wanted to get some sailing in before the wind died.

I have removed the diesels from my boat. It has an outboard now. I'm thinking of loading up the old engine compartment with a couple more large 12volt batteries. I bought this 60 watt solar panel and an inverter both for $100.00 and I no longer have power problems even brewing coffee with my 650w 4 cup coffee maker in the am. The panel feeds two 12 volt batteries now in parallel.

Btw, the boat was $2,000. The sail I had made. I went thru a second old diesel, then went outboard which is much more efficient than that 350lb 10 hp diesel with a relatively flat prop. (i do miss those old diesels though) This boat was to be a school boat for me which it has been........stuffing box bs and all. But now that I'm getting it somewhat in shape I'd hate to buy another boat that may be only seconds faster per mile and start over. Plus, I like these old full keel boats
Old 15-06-2013, 15:13   #39

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Thanks, fellas. It just took a while to get used to the motion. I'll spare you the details. Plus, my other boats could hit speeds of 23 knots although not in 5'-7' bay waves. The problem there with the racing catamarans is that you missed all the scenary.

I just came back from bouncing around for 5 hours just outside Little Creek. I sailed out which took forever against the tide but I wanted to get some sailing in before the wind died.

I have removed the diesels from my boat. It has an outboard now. I'm thinking of loading up the old engine compartment with a couple more large 12volt batteries. I bought this 60 watt solar panel and an inverter both for $100.00 and I no longer have power problems even brewing coffee with my 650w 4 cup coffee maker in the am. The panel feeds two 12 volt batteries now in parallel.

Btw, the boat was $2,000. The sail I had made. I went thru a second old diesel, then went outboard which is much more efficient than that 350lb 10 hp diesel with a relatively flat prop. (i do miss those old diesels though) This boat was to be a school boat for me which it has been........stuffing box bs and all. But now that I'm getting it somewhat in shape I'd hate to buy another boat that may be only seconds faster per mile and start over. Plus, I like these old full keel boats
Look like a nice boat, with little money in it. Sounds like it can do a lot of what you want, but all boats have their compromises. A 27 footer will always have a shortish waterline and lower displacement than a bigger one. But easier to singlehand, maintain, etc. Never gonna be anything like your cats though. I really like the way my mono sails off the wind. I had a killer ride down the bay this time last year in a strong norther, blowing over 30, just running part of the headsail and surfing nicely. Made it from Wye River to Portsmouth in 20 hours or something. The boat was well mannered surfing, more so than my Alberg designed boat was. Not sure a function of the design so much as the captain, but my experience nonetheless.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds? The ability to sail fast cats and a Bristol to go cruising? Do you have a light sail for off the wind?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Look like a nice boat, with little money in it. Sounds like it can do a lot of what you want, but all boats have their compromises. A 27 footer will always have a shortish waterline and lower displacement than a bigger one. But easier to singlehand, maintain, etc. Never gonna be anything like your cats though. I really like the way my mono sails off the wind. I had a killer ride down the bay this time last year in a strong norther, blowing over 30, just running part of the headsail and surfing nicely. Made it from Wye River to Portsmouth in 20 hours or something. The boat was well mannered surfing, more so than my Alberg designed boat was. Not sure a function of the design so much as the captain, but my experience nonetheless.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds? The ability to sail fast cats and a Bristol to go cruising? Do you have a light sail for off the wind?
Yep a Crealock 34 would be a nice second boat or maybe an Alberg 37 if I don't go for a fin keeler.

My catamarans are all sold: (2) Hobie 16's, 1 NACRA 6.0, and a NACRA F17 which I sailed in Memphis and mainly on the Gulf Coast around Pensacola including four 100 mile Round the Islands out of Ft Walton Beach. Here's my sail down in 2012 from just north of Onancock with zero time on the boat. A Nor'Easter came in between the first sail a Saturday and the second a Sunday. The second video is near the end of the sail after it was laying down some from the 22 plus it was earlier near Kiptopeake plus gusts. I was out of it and on autopilot.................not used to the motion yet. Plus I rarely used the external tank these days.

These are terrible videos but you gotta love an autopilot:

Old 17-06-2013, 18:38   #41

Boat: Tayana 37'
I own an alberg 35 and am a liveaboard. I love my boat. Yes she's alittle old(50 years) but she's as solid as can be!
Atiyeh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:31   #42

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

My friend, a Bristol 27 that can move under sail or power, doesn't leak much and doesn't have a body under the floorboards is a bargain at two grand.

A solid 27 footer is a spare flat, a moving cottage and a Fortress of Solitude for the contemplative sailor.

Two grand is what I can spend on half my batteries!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 03:26   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
My friend, a Bristol 27 that can move under sail or power, doesn't leak much and doesn't have a body under the floorboards is a bargain at two grand.

A solid 27 footer is a spare flat, a moving cottage and a Fortress of Solitude for the contemplative sailor.

Two grand is what I can spend on half my batteries!
Yes, this boat at that price was a great deal (estate sale) and has taught me a lot including how fast you can dump money into one. I probably have between $6,000-$8,000 in it now with bottom job, new main, UV Cover repair/resew on #2 jib (it came with 2 excellent jibs: a 135% and a 100%) new outboard, outboard bracket. I also tried a second diesel (I removed and replaced the 350 lb diesels using the boom and available lines on the boat) that didn't last too long and now a 60 watt solar panel, controller, two 12 Volt batteries, three small fuel tanks, etc.

This over a two year period. I still need to paint the interior and exterior above the water line. (plus it's due for another bottom job since I only put one coat on the first time.

And back to your other point, my moving cottage right now is docked for about $200.00/month in a neighborhood of homes exceeding $700,000 in value. I know liveaboards that live here for $300-$400 per month. Not a bad price for such a location.

I still would like another (big,heavy) old boat I think. It was blowing 20 with gusts Sunday. I was sailing reefed and with a tiny jib unfurled (btw, the furler line damn near took my finger off twice trying to readjust while driving and readjusting jib sheet. The larger boats I was sailing with seemed to be cruising a little smoother than I was as we got offshore more (it was an offshore wind) and the waves got larger. I went offshore 5-6 miles then beat back in. Of course, my boat was on it's ear all the way in. Were talkin' WAY over.

Would say an Alberg 37 do better? How about a Bristol 32 with it's 22' water line? Or that stiff (some say) nearly 12' wide 36' S2 with it's 28'+ waterline and 15,000 lb disp, and 5.5' draft?
Old 18-06-2013, 03:42   #44

Boat: Alberg 37

I have never been on an A35, but I think that would be a great boat if it is ready to go.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg