Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2012, 16:07   #46

Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Alberg 30 vs. Triton vs. Ocean Voyager 26vs???

Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Then again the Tartan is a nearly 35' LOA boat with only 25' LWL (!!!!!!). 10' (25% of the boat) is "wasted".

There are boats which are below 32' LOA while they have over 28' LWL.

This will bear on the amt of internal volume (living space) as well as on speed and comfort in open waters.

I think when one goes for a small boat then looking for max LWL/LOA makes some sense.

What do you think?

I think the space is still usable in some fashion and therefore not wasted.
I think that moderate overhangs indicate the boat will probably be a bit drier in a seaway since the overhangs provide a certain amount of reserve buoyancy.
I would admit that they generally cost you slightly in terms of all out speed because of the shortened waterline.

However I expect, without doing any research to backup this opinion, that for same or similar length boats age and general hull design is likely to have a much bigger impact on speed than waterline length.

Understand that for me, I don't feel there is that big a speed difference between cruising boats until the difference approaches 60sec per mile. For racing that would be huge, not for cruising.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 16:47   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Alberg 30 vs. Triton vs. Ocean Voyager 26vs???

Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The older boats have longer overhangs. My 35' pearson has a 25' waterline, for example. The additional space is not wasted, however. The lazarette is big enough for me to crawl into and take a nap and the forepeak is able to stow 130' of chain and 150' of line on one rode and 300' of line and short chain on another rode. The water line length is deceiving as far as calculated hull speed. Once you heel these boats, even a few degrees, the water line increases and maximum speed potential increases. I've had my boat clocking over 7 knots in flat water with ideal winds and averaged almost calculated hull speed all the way to Hawaii.

Just because the older boats have relatively short waterlines compared to overall length, doesn't mean they are slow or there is wasted space. They have another advantage, they are not butt ugly like the current crop of fat assed, plumb bowed, long waterline designs. It's not to say that you want to load all your heavy items in the ends, however. Weight in the ends does affect windward performance in a seaway. We try and load the ends with mostly lighter weight gear which their seems to be no shortage of.

If you are thinking of long ocean passages, a catalina may not be the best boat for the real world. Catalina makes a nice boat but the older Pearson/Bristol/Tartan/Alberg boats are probably way stronger, have an easier motion, a better interior for sea work, and way way way cheaper. I know BeneHunAlinas have gone all over the world but so have 8' rowboats. There are ocean passages and there are ocean passages.

As far as slow/fast, the PHRF ratings are based on inshore performance in mostly light air conditions on courses with heavy windward components. Otherwise, they put a premium on pointing ability and light winds that aren't the norm out in the real cruising world. We routinely embarassed supposedly faster, better sailing boats with our Wetsnail and averaged 118nm a day over more that 10,000 miles of almost exclusively engineless cruising. Have had similar good performance with my Pearson 35, 15.5 days SF to Hilo on an atypical light trade wind passage. PHRF ratings will give you an idea, though not iron clad, of relative speed in coastal cruising. It's virtually worthless in the offshore world, however. The typical cruising routes are reaches to runs and the winds tend to blow Force 3-5 with a high degree of reliability.
I agree...DVC

tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

alberg, alberg 30

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: