Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-06-2015, 14:02   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Alberg 22 capabilities: How far out would you sail?

I'd get the smallest electric start I could find. Easy to start plus it will charge your battery.

Old 11-06-2015, 16:59   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
A 26' full keel boat would be a lot harder to trailer & getting that kind of draft in & out of the water can be a real challenge. As usual everything with boats is a trade off but I think that for trailering this is a great choice.
Yes I agree...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 15:49   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
A 26' full keel boat would be a lot harder to trailer & getting that kind of draft in & out of the water can be a real challenge. As usual everything with boats is a trade off but I think that for trailering this is a great choice.
While this purchase is in the bag, other folks who are considering trailering such a boat might consider a Columbia 24 or 26 MK1, they have about the same draft as the Alberg. There is currently a C26 MK1 project boat available in classifieds, ("3 boats in Maryland".) They are great little cruisers. The extension for the tongue on the trailer makes it possible and not too hard to arrange. Rigging the boat is the harder part.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 17:06   #49

I believe the Alberg 22 has a 3' draft while the Columbia has a 4' draft. Although I agree the Columbia is a cool boat trailering a boat with a 4' draft would be tough. With most of the boat ramps in Florida you'd have to wait for high tide & even then your choice of ramps would be limited. With all the motorboaters powering onto their trailers these days you don't want your wheels going past the concrete on a ramp because they blow the bottom out.
Old 16-06-2015, 18:10   #50

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I believe the Alberg 22 has a 3' draft while the Columbia has a 4' draft. Although I agree the Columbia is a cool boat trailering a boat with a 4' draft would be tough. With most of the boat ramps in Florida you'd have to wait for high tide & even then your choice of ramps would be limited. With all the motorboaters powering onto their trailers these days you don't want your wheels going past the concrete on a ramp because they blow the bottom out.
Yep, true. I have never sailed in Florida so I defer to you! But the Alberg draft is only 3 feet? Seems more but I'll buy that too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 20:24   #51

I'm actually just getting the drafts online.

ALBERG 22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Columbia 26 Specifications
Old 19-06-2015, 15:02   #52

Boat: 1968 Alberg 30

Great looking boat. You have a real 'find' there. Same lines as an Alberg 30 and close to the Alberg 37. How far can you can sail it? Around the world I am thinking, if you wish. It's up to you how far you want to go offshore. Plenty of small boats have circumnavigated and crossed oceans since Humphry Barton first crossed the Atlantic in the 25' foot Vertue XXXV double handed in 1950. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-11-2015, 11:34   #53

Check out the A22 owners group on Yahoo if you haven't already. We sail our A22 #187 "Puff" regularly in 25+ knots, with single reef main and small jib. Good luck!
Old 29-11-2015, 12:49   #54

I sailed a Seasprite 23 which is almost the same boat with an even smaller cabin from Cape Cod to the Canadian border - and back, often 50 miles offshore.

Tips:

If the mainsail looks worn, buy a new one. It will feel like a whole different boat and be able to make good progress offshore upwind. Be sure you can put in two reefs. This boat needs to be reefed early and often. I would often put one reef in while in the harbor and then shake it out if the wind really was too light.

As suggested, have a good jib around 110 overlap. People typically put big genoas on these and try to partially furl them in higher winds getting terrible sail shape. All they get is heeling force.

The sails don't have winches to raise so the sail, so you have to pull really hard on the halyard. The luff (front of the sail) should be tight.

Always sail with the lower leeboard in the companionway. A good size wave can overflow the cockpit and sink this boat in seconds. With both boards in and the companionway shut you can handle just about anything in this boat.

The boat is VERY good offshore because the the low topsides present little windage or area for waves to hit and the full keel will keep it moving through seas. It feels like a much bigger boat offshore.

Rig two lines in the cockpit to hold the tiller as an "autopilot". The boat balances very well. The lines will keep it on course long enough to get a drink or take a pee.

Cruising in a boat this small is a lot like camping (without the dirt). There's very little storage but much more than in a hiking backpack.I was cruising with a friend. One of us slept forward and one in a quarter berth. The other quarter berth held a large cooler and milk crates with food supplies. The unused side of the forward berth held clothes in duffle bags. It worked fine. Don't even think about having 3 aboard overnight.

We cooked on a propane camp stove in the cockpit (disconnected the propane cylinder after cooking and stored it above deck)

Have a piece of Sunbrella that can be put over the boom to be a sunshade at anchor in the Bahamas. It should tie to the rails ending about 2ft above the deck (for ventilation and view). You may need some tent poles to make it work. It needs to be sturdy enough to not flap too much in the wind.

The outboard doesn't have to be new but it does have to reliable. Be sure to get a long shaft outboard. I had just 6hp which drove the boat at hull speed. No electric start needed. But think about an alternator to charge batteries. There is very little unshaded space for large solar panels. The best bet might be to put a 100 watt panel at the stern on a post or two with its forward edge attached to the backstay.

The toughest trailering challenge is stepping the mast. It's bigger than it looks. There's usually no crane at a launching ramp. We used a couple of 2x4's to make a V shaped mast sheer. (see drawing) Each leg attached to a shroud chainplate.The jib halyard was attached to the apex of the sheer. We lead a line from the sheer through a block tied to the bow cleat and back to a winch. Winch the sheer towards the deck and the mast goes up. To keep the base of the mast from sliding and to act as a simple tabernacle (hinge), install two small eye bolts - one in the deck just aft of the mast step and one in the aft base of the mast. Tie a small loop of line through two eyebolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 2.11.13 PM.png
Views:	89
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	114046  
Old 29-11-2015, 14:25   #55

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:37   #56

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Are you dead set against a swing keel? easy trailering and sweet launching. (1.5 ft draft with keel up)
In any event, carl F. gave good advice.

joel
Old 29-11-2015, 14:57   #57

Boat: Catalina 400 - 41 ft

Take the boat boat out in open waters close to shore with 25 knots on the nose and see how comfortable you are, knowing that when you get more than a few hours away from a safe haven, the boat and you may well have to put up with a lot worse for a lot longer. Decide accordingly.
Old 30-11-2015, 04:05   #58

Spent the summer next to one. SMALL!
I used to own a Sirius 21, with the pop top up it wasn't bad, couldn't imagine spending much time onboard without.
Very nice looking boats, the one in my marina is for sale I think for 1000$.
Can't say I'd be looking at one for a trailerable, I sailed trailerable boats for decades, IMO something with a centerboard is so much easier to deal with. I KNOW that Alberg can't be launched at our ramp, has to be craned in. If you got the trailer out far enough to float it the trailer would drop off a ledge!
Not saying all launching ramps are like this but something to keep an eye on launching.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26   #59

Boat: Alberg 35

Having sailed many boats in offshore waters, I like how Alberg boats sail.
The A22 will handle quite a bit of wind and wave, probably more than the crew would like. In LI Sound it was normal to see the 18' Typhoons heading out in 20+ knots of wind and having fun.
The A22 was built by Allan Nye Scott, who also built the Alberg 29 and 34. The 22 actually has a CSF of 1.902 (anything below 2.0 is what a lot of people consider OK for offshore). It does have a draft of 3'1" according to the original specs. If you load it up for a week of cruising, it's going to add a couple of inches.
On my CD28 and my A35 I do not have roller furling. I have used a working jib and a 135 genoa with reef points. The boats get to windward much better that way. Most of the low aspect ratio mainsails like to get reefed early.
Years ago I spoke with a couple of people who worked with Alberg, they said he designed his boats to be sailed with less than 25 degrees of heel, the larger ones the target was 18-20 degrees.
The boat looks nice, hope you are having fun.
Fair winds!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I sailed a Seasprite 23 which is almost the same boat with an even smaller cabin from Cape Cod to the Canadian border - and back, often 50 miles offshore.

Tips:

If the mainsail looks worn, buy a new one. It will feel like a whole different boat and be able to make good progress offshore upwind. Be sure you can put in two reefs. This boat needs to be reefed early and often. I would often put one reef in while in the harbor and then shake it out if the wind really was too light.

As suggested, have a good jib around 110 overlap. People typically put big genoas on these and try to partially furl them in higher winds getting terrible sail shape. All they get is heeling force.

The sails don't have winches to raise so the sail, so you have to pull really hard on the halyard. The luff (front of the sail) should be tight.

Always sail with the lower leeboard in the companionway. A good size wave can overflow the cockpit and sink this boat in seconds. With both boards in and the companionway shut you can handle just about anything in this boat.

The boat is VERY good offshore because the the low topsides present little windage or area for waves to hit and the full keel will keep it moving through seas. It feels like a much bigger boat offshore.

Rig two lines in the cockpit to hold the tiller as an "autopilot". The boat balances very well. The lines will keep it on course long enough to get a drink or take a pee.

Cruising in a boat this small is a lot like camping (without the dirt). There's very little storage but much more than in a hiking backpack.I was cruising with a friend. One of us slept forward and one in a quarter berth. The other quarter berth held a large cooler and milk crates with food supplies. The unused side of the forward berth held clothes in duffle bags. It worked fine. Don't even think about having 3 aboard overnight.

We cooked on a propane camp stove in the cockpit (disconnected the propane cylinder after cooking and stored it above deck)

Have a piece of Sunbrella that can be put over the boom to be a sunshade at anchor in the Bahamas. It should tie to the rails ending about 2ft above the deck (for ventilation and view). You may need some tent poles to make it work. It needs to be sturdy enough to not flap too much in the wind.

The outboard doesn't have to be new but it does have to reliable. Be sure to get a long shaft outboard. I had just 6hp which drove the boat at hull speed. No electric start needed. But think about an alternator to charge batteries. There is very little unshaded space for large solar panels. The best bet might be to put a 100 watt panel at the stern on a post or two with its forward edge attached to the backstay.

The toughest trailering challenge is stepping the mast. It's bigger than it looks. There's usually no crane at a launching ramp. We used a couple of 2x4's to make a V shaped mast sheer. (see drawing) Each leg attached to a shroud chainplate.The jib halyard was attached to the apex of the sheer. We lead a line from the sheer through a block tied to the bow cleat and back to a winch. Winch the sheer towards the deck and the mast goes up. To keep the base of the mast from sliding and to act as a simple tabernacle (hinge), install two small eye bolts - one in the deck just aft of the mast step and one in the aft base of the mast. Tie a small loop of line through two eyebolts.
This is the kind of post that keeps me coming back to this forum. Well done.

Tags
alberg, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: