Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 00:12   #1

Alan Gurney Competition 1000 Info Requested

recently purchased an alan gurney competition 1000. i am interested in any info about this boat

thanks
bucky
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bucky.

Congratulations on your new (2U) boat!

COMPETITION 1000 DIMENSIONS From ➥ Competition 1000 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

I 38.5ft (11734mm)
J 12.3ft (3749mm)
P 33ft (10058mm)
E 9.8ft (2987mm)

Competition 1000 MAINSAIL DIMENSIONS:
Luff 33*ft (10058mm)
Foot 9.8*ft (2987mm)
Leech-AftHdBd 33.89*ft (10329mm)
Tack Ang 88*
Diag (clew/head) 34.09*ft (10390mm)
Head (inches) 4.5*in (114mm)
Area (no Roach) 166.99*ft2 (15514mm2)

Competition 1000 JIBSAIL DIMENSIONS:
Luff 32.33*ft (9854mm)
Foot 16.28*ft (4962mm)
Leech 28.08*ft (8558mm)
Perc LP 114.96*
Length Perp 14.14*ft (4309mm)
Deck Angle 12.00*
Area 228.56*ft2 (21234mm2)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 15:48   #3

Location: San Pedro, CA...boat currently on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala
Boat: 1984 Grand Soleil 39 VIVA
If you are still looking for information on the Competition 1000, contact me. I owned "Scalawag", Hull #4 from 1974-76.
sbdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 21:15   #4

still very intrested in any info on comp 1000
my c1000 "streaker" is a 1974

bucky
Old 15-11-2010, 07:45   #5

Location: San Pedro, CA...boat currently on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala
Boat: 1984 Grand Soleil 39 VIVA
Competition 1000

First of all, I am curious what color your boat is. Mine was sort of a sickly avocado green. The incorrect gel coat color was sent to the builder!
The Competition 1000 was built by Sven Svendsen, owner of Svendsen's Boat Works in Alameda between 1973 and 1974. If I recall there were only four (or maybe six) boats built, plus a wood prototype, which was used as the plug for the mold, and I believe called "Streaker".
It was definitely an Alan Gurney design, and if there had been no deviation from the designer's plan, could have been a competitive 1/2 tonner for a year or two.
My boat had a Farymann one cylinder diesel with a hydraulic drive system, mounted in the bow. Unfortunately, the engine was mounted a little too far forward and a shaft and strut were added to get a more favorable IOR rating. The overall construction was quite solid but possibly built a little on the heavy side.
Immediately upon arrival of my boat, I noticed hydraulic leaks in the drive system and it turned out that the manufacturer had mistakenly removed a tube which encompassed the shaft where it exited the hull.
After racing the boat for six months, we still couldn't alleviate the "bow down" condition and the boat was downright squirrelly downwind. The 1/2 ton class never caught on in our area and I decided to optimize the boat for PHRF racing.
Eventually, I was able to exchange the Farymann diesel for a lightweight air-cooled Wankel engine which was still mounted in the same location and drove the original hydraulic pump. We also opted for a large genoa size and immediately the boat started to perform. Upwind, we were unbeatable with the large sailplan and downwind the performance was very competitive as long as we flew a "blooper" to counteract the rolling of those older IOR designs.
For the following year we won or placed in every local regatta we entered, including 3 or 4 of the major series in our area.
My wife an I finally realized we wanted a boat with more cruising amenities.
sbdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 09:16   #6

awesome, streaker has a sickly green sister, i thought she might be an orphan. hope to pick your brain at length soon. i have many questions about the c1000s. thanks for taking the time to share you expiriences.

bucky
Old 24-11-2010, 08:49   #7

comp 1000 info

i have entered comments/questions in red.

First of all, I am curious what color your boat is. white Mine was sort of a sickly avocado green. The incorrect gel coat color was sent to the builder!
The Competition 1000 was built by Sven Svendsen, owner of Svendsen's Boat Works in Alameda between 1973 and 1974. If I recall there were only four (or maybe six) boats built, plus a wood prototype, which was used as the plug for the mold, and I believe called "Streaker". my boat is named streaker
It was definitely an Alan Gurney design, and if there had been no deviation from the designer's plan, could have been a competitive 1/2 tonner for a year or two. tell what you know of the deviation
My boat had a Farymann one cylinder diesel with a hydraulic drive system, mounted in the bow. Unfortunately, the engine was mounted a little too far forward and a shaft and strut were added to get a more favorable IOR rating. my boat may of had a diesel with a v-drive but it's long gone now. The overall construction was quite solid but possibly built a little on the heavy side.
Immediately upon arrival of my boat, bought new? I noticed hydraulic leaks in the drive system and it turned out that the manufacturer had mistakenly removed a tube which encompassed the shaft where it exited the hull.
After racing the boat for six months, we still couldn't alleviate the "bow down" condition and the boat was downright squirrelly downwind. The 1/2 ton class never caught on in our area which is? and I decided to optimize the boat for PHRF racing.
Eventually, I was able to exchange the Farymann diesel for a lightweight air-cooled Wankel engine which was still mounted in the same location and drove the original hydraulic pump. We also opted for a large genoa size i have a 140 on a furler and immediately the boat started to perform. Upwind, we were unbeatable with the large sailplan and downwind the performance was very competitive as long as we flew a "blooper" could you describe the blooper to counteract the rolling of those older IOR designs.
For the following year we won or placed in every local regatta we entered, including 3 or 4 of the major series in our area.
My wife an I finally realized we wanted a boat with more cruising amenities.

i found my boat on craigslist, i was looking for a catalina 27 and stumbled onto streaker. seemed like a good deal at $3000. 7 bags of usable sails, good running 9.9 yamaha. fresh bottom paint. it was on the hard when i found it and all looked good below the waterline. the only "must do" item was to replace the forestay[$120]. other than that no funds were required to sail away. i have spent about a year day sailing in winds to 20k and have the "fun meter" pegged all the time. wife[crew] is ok with heeling doesn't care about rain. we actually sailed in the snow last sunday. we sail in the southern puget sound [washington] and most time have the bay to ourselves.

saw another c1000 for sale in new zealand last spring other that that little or no info online.

thanks for taking the time to share you c1000 knowledge, any other info would be greatly appreciated.

bucky
Old 24-11-2010, 09:34   #8
cruiser

I sailed on STREAKER.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 16:05   #9

comp 1000

mr perry

thank you for your "terse" comment. any memories worth sharing. the title to streaker states in the manufactures box "alan gurney competition 1000", any thoughts?

thank you
bucky
Old 25-11-2010, 09:05   #10
cruiser

"terse" maybe you should grab a dictionary next time you want to use that word. It was simply a statement of fact. "Laconic" maybe but not at all intended to be "rude". My friend and one time room mate Dick Pratt bought STREAKER new in about 1973, I forget. We had a big half ton class in Seattle. I had my own half tonner CHINOOK. STREAKER was not a fast boat but it was not a pig either and it belonged to that strange period in Gurney's design career where he never really got a hold of the IOR and his successes with WINDWARD PASSAGE and ther I-36 were never repeated. But STREAKER was a nice little boat and was raced a lot in a good sized fleet pretty much dominated by the Kirby designeed San juan 30's and Alan Holt's boat that is still actively racing PHRF today.

That's about all I can tell you. It was the early days pf the IOR abnd designers were trying to find the magic combination of features and dimensions.

Still "terse"?
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 05:49   #11

Re: Alan Gurney Competition 1000 Info Requested

ahoy mates, its my 1 st. time doing this but i could t help myself when i found out what that tubby little boat tied to my dock is. its been tied here and neglected, like a bad dog.the title says cpt thats it. 1973. the little yellow one banger is in my shed along with misc. gear. i plan to clean the bottom on the weekend and hoist the gollywobbler,s. all the sails are in the forepeak, plenty of room there with the fareymann on vacation.always thought it was some sort of old racer, but thanks to this site, i can sleep easy.anyone have any knowledge of the hydrl. propulson system. is it worth the fuss. thanks, thunderbolt.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 06:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Alan Gurney Competition 1000 Info Requested

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, thunderbolt.

What's a "gollywobbler"?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote