Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2005, 15:18   #31

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Victory 40

You are right in everyway Capt Lar. I do have some info regarding the "Big Girl", as you call her.L.O.A.=12.3m, 40ft.;L.W.L.=9.8m, 32ft2in.;beam=3.5m,11ft.6in.;draught1.5m,4ft.11in. ,displacment10400kg.,10.3tons,sail area 63.6sq. m,685sq.ft.
She did come with a fairly new Volvo 4 banger, but she is still on land and needs to have the rigging stepped, so the true testing is yet to come. Not much chance to check things out as she came available as the result of an estate sale, and the price was a steal. I'll keep you informed as I make the discoveries. One problem already is that I live on the lower eastern shore of Md and the boat is on the hard just south of Baltimore. I will probably paint her bottom, lash the rigging firmly to the deck, and motor down here to do the rest.
kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 06:40   #32

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd go for forecabin any day

I don't agree with the overall opinion so far - apart from accepting neither v-berths or aft cabins make ideal sea berths.

In my past lives I've had a centre cockpit Adams 40 with an aft cabin when living in Oz, a Grand Solieil 42 aft cockpit also with aft cabin whilst sailing the med, and now have a Hanse 461 with a forecabin that's not quite in the bow - but forward of the mast

I've also chartered several yachts in warmer climates - all with aft cabins - singles and doubles.

Without exception all the aft cabins had the same important failing. A lack of adequate ventilation especially in warmer weather.

My own experiences when moored are that forecabins are easier to keep well vented, and for me seeking a good nights sleep - that's enough of a reason to vote for the forecabin set up.

Also when at anchor I find being close enough to hear any chain movement an added safety bonus..........

Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 21:33   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Close enough to hear the anchor chain now that'd keep me awake all night

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 01:53   #34

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
If my chain started dragging I'd want to be woken up....

Only this past summer we were parked in Mallorca on a known dodgy bottom and early hours the breeze swung and filled in.

We were one of possibly 15 yachts that dragged - but the moment we did - at least I was awoken and could get on deck.

Some others (could they have been fast asleep in aft cabins?) were not so quick to react - and some ended up being helped out by the local lifeboat.

Still - it's the good ventilation that made me settle for a forecabin - the closeness to any anchor / chain niose is simply a bonus.

Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 08:38   #35
Kai Nui

Capt Lar, you mentioned awhile back that you could not find any Challengers for sale. I just found this link. They have some great stuff in the 35'-50' range. Still one of my favorite monohulls. Of particular interest, look for the 40'+ "Holding Pattern" (Advertised on another site) They have made some great changes to this boat. I say + because they have added a bow sprit, and include that extra 3' in the length, but she is still a Challenger 40.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/Challenger/1
Old 24-11-2005, 10:11   #36

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Small gripe

I wish the photos would show me a bit more. The 32 has two photos of the boat out of the water, and I can tell that it has a fin keel. Zero on board photos. The 35 has several on board photos but none showing the hull or keel. Does the 35 have a fin keel ?
I can send an email to the boat yard, but they are not very informative, unless they think you will give them a lot of $$ later the same day. At least this has been my experience to date.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 12:58   #37

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Hearing the anchor chain

For what it is worth, I've had three aft-cabin boats and have had no trouble knowing when the boat drags. In addition, when the chain drags over the bottom with ordinary "sailing at anchor" you can hear what is going on even with a nylon rode exiting the water from a chain, just like a string and can telephone.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 15:31   #38
Kai Nui

Michael, the 35 is a modified full keel, if ketch rigged. From my observations of the Challengers I have seen, the sloops are fin keels, and the ketchs are full keel. Here is another site that has good info on Challengers: http://tronicvision.tripod.com/id14.html
The 35 does not have the aft cabin. Only the 40, but there is a large qtr berth
As for dragging, I have always been able to feel it from the aft cabin, and I do not think sleeping forward would make any difference.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51   #39

Re: Aft cabin vs. V-berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
We are looking at boats for long-term cruising (probably around Caribbean- maybe farther) in the 37 - 42 ft. range (for a couple). Although we like the idea of going a bit on the smaller side, most boats below 40 ft. don't have an aft cabin, but consider the forward v-berth as the "captains cabin". What is the general opinion of sleeping comfort in a v-berth both on the hook and underway versus an aft cabin berth? I've always thought the forward berth would be noisier and less comfortable. Other than the Moody 376, we have found few smaller boats with an aft cabin. Any suggestions? Thanks

Iris
(Formerly thinking about the Gozzard 37 - but now rethinking the $$$$ involved!)
Hi Iris! My husband and I cruised from Boston to the Virgins and around the Caribbean for 4 years in our 37 foot Irwin sloop. We did have a V-berth forward, and it was comfortable enough for the children, but for live-aboard space for adults, it would not be ideal. However, the 37 foot Irwin also has a queen in the Captain's Quarters forward, as well as two settees in the mid-ship salon. Happy Sailing! CSojourner, RN
CSojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:10   #40

Boat: Leopard 39

This is a very personal issue, and people tend to be all over the board with it. Putting aside motion considerations, where settee berths tend to shine, I never personally cared for V-berths for two because they make me feel like my feet are tied up.

Heck, no. Why, do I look crazy?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:44   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSojourner View Post
Hi Iris! My husband and I cruised from Boston to the Virgins and around the Caribbean for 4 years in our 37 foot Irwin sloop. We did have a V-berth forward, and it was comfortable enough for the children, but for live-aboard space for adults, it would not be ideal. However, the 37 foot Irwin also has a queen in the Captain's Quarters forward, as well as two settees in the mid-ship salon. Happy Sailing! CSojourner, RN

I think that Iris may have already made a decision on this in the 12 years since this thread was active.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 18:38   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Most likely, but the question comes up periodically.

We mainly sleep in the V-berth. It is generally better ventilated than aft cabins, and aft cabins with huge berths limit one's storage space, spending the space differently, as it were. Under way, if bouncy, prefer the leeward settee.

We lived aboard and cruised a 36 footer for about 18 yrs, before this boat, and the sleeping was pretty much the same as this boat, except this one takes normal double bed sheets, I didn't have to custom make fitted sheets for it.

The 36 had a long Vee, though, I used to have to use king size sheets to make the fitted ones, I only did that to get the length, and the breadth at the head.

Ann
Old 06-08-2017, 19:46   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Vee berths can sometimes get a little crowded at the pointy end, when you are sharing it. That's not a lot of room for 20 toes belonging to two different owners.