Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2010, 14:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Aft Cabin Boats ?

I'm beginning to understand the benefits of an aft cabin boat and that is changing my search a bit. If I understand correctly, the aft cabin will usually be more comfortable because of the action of the boat and the size of the cabin/bed. I see some with the bed port/starboard and some with the bed bow to stern. I've also seen a few where the bed is in the center and it looks as though when heeling with two people in it, one could fall off. Lol.

I've also looked at the O'Day 39' now, which has a center cockpit, and I REALLY like the layout. Having the privacy to the rear when desired is pretty cool, especially if sailing with guests, a crew of one or more, or with kids (I have two boys who might join me now and then. I also thought about renting out a stateroom when moored in Vancover/LA. So while I don't NEED the privacy all the time, I like it. Are there any major issues I should consider with an stateroom center cockpit like the O'Day if singlehanding it the majority of the time?

Old 17-09-2010, 14:40   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
I think you'll find no double bunk really usable when at sea - unless on a long dead run. Single bunks with lee boards or cloths to hold you in are really the only safe place to sleep when on passage.
But when parked up, a double berth is a joy.

We've had both aft master cabins and foreward cabins - both with doubles set to one side. All fine, but someone ends up climbing over someone else at some time or other. And I mean getting in and out of the bed.

We did charter one with a centre placed double up front and found it easy access, plus forecabins are generally quieter on modern boats that aft cabins. One can with a flat aft section get a lot of water slap at the back.

So enjoy the ongoing research - I hope you find what you want.

Cheers
JOHN

Old 17-09-2010, 15:19   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
My father has a Salar 40 with a centre cockpit and a big aft cabin. I liked the big double bed, but there was no passageway to the front and you had to go on deck. That is fine if you want to get away from noisy kids, but you are by yourself or a couple then I think it would be annoying.

For my needs, I would only consider an aft cabin yacht if it has a passageway.
Old 17-09-2010, 15:45   #4

Boat: Watkins 29, Southern Dream
I think you must mean the O'Day 37- a center cockpit with the bunk in the aft cabin running abeam. The problem with that set up would be your position while heeling. Your either on your feet on on your head. A lee cloth wouldn't help much. But its a beatiful boat- great lines.
j.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:18   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
We have a CC, aft cabin boat. Our bunk is set up with a U-berth in the aft cabin. The berths are set up with one on each side of the hull, connecred on the aft end, making it so you can sleep in any direction you want. Feet left or right, fore or aft, no matter what heel the boats on, you can get comfortable.
As for the CC, we love the visibility, especially maneuvering in tight marinas...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 16:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Hi,
I think you'll find no double bunk really usable when at sea - unless on a long dead run. ..............Cheers
JOHN
Good info here from Swagman, but let me suggest how to approach the big bed at sea. It's relatively easy to determine the set of the sea and how your vessel is responding the the rythymn of the waves. Many berths are capable of sleeping in any direction of the full compass rose. allign yourself and sleep. Your berth mate is at the helm! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 17-09-2010, 17:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day All,

Here's a contrary view :

The c/c layout, especially in relatively small (less than say 45 feet) cruisers is, in our opinion, a bad usage of the below decks volume. The great cabin aft is ok, but it results in a very small saloon and galley area -- the places where you spend most of your waking hours (if below decks). The illusion of privacy is just that -- something imaginary on a small boat no matter how you divvy up the space. Personal privacy is something that you just give away when cruising on a small yacht. Most cruisers find little difficulty with this concept once the dock lines are cast off. As I see it, the c/c idea sprang from the charter business, where relatively inexperienced folks were told that it was cool for two couples to charter such a boat, 'cause they would have really separate, "private" quarters. From memory, the Morgan out Island series was an early proponent of this idea.

Another problem with the aft cabin is ventilation -- very few aft cabins have effective cross ventilation and this is a big problem in the tropics, especially under way or in the rain.

Another thing we have noticed is that nearly every long term c/c cruising yacht has succumbed to the urge to built a "house" of some sort over the cockpit area. I suspect this is due to the c/c being pretty wet when the wind is forward of the beam, and an aft cockpit is dryer under these conditions. Anyway, these "houses" usually eliminate any advantages of visibility that you might imagine for the c/c design as well as adding considerable windage and weight well above the COG.

And if one postulates a "walk through" design, the freeboard must be increased to allow standing headroom under the side decks. This forces the overall height of the boat upwards, again increasing windage and decreasing stability. Further, the seating positions in the cockpit are higher above the roll center, resulting in greater motion for the crew.

Most c/c boats must resort to hydraulic steering, due to the separation between cockpit and rudderpost. Opinions vary, but I hate the feel of Hydraulics, and it makes the use of a windvane steering system much more difficult

Lastly, most of the c/c boats we've been aboard have little or no on-deck stowage aft... no lazaret (where do they put all their "stuff"?

Note that many of my objections disappear in larger boats, but for those of us with fiscally limited aspirations, I feel that the aft cockpit design is the best choice. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II (aft cockpit) lying Cairns, Qld, Oz
Old 17-09-2010, 17:31   #8

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Jim, I agree with your comments on aft cabins.Additionally, when we built our boat, I added an aft cabin that went full width. This had the added complication that when beating to windward, any water that was picked up on the weather deck was dammed up by the aft cabin, and cascaded into the cockpit! I intend to remove that cabin in the next year or two and move the cockpit aft.
With regard to windvane self steering and hydraulic steering, nothing could be easier. I have a valve between the two pipes which allows the slave cylinder to move freely, and the windvane to do its work unimpeded.
Regards, Richard.
Old 17-09-2010, 20:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Wow. Thank you all for tour input. I'm Doug this by iPhone so I'll apologize if I miss someone's name or somethin important.

Swagman: I hear you on the heeling, but like you said, at times I will be moored, especially since I plan to live on the boat. Also, even when sailing, I may have a crew member aboard (a friend who wants to come for an extended period, my son who will do grade 10 via correspondence from the boat, and my younger brother who will also take a few months at least in the near future, so I don't always intend to sleep alone. I don't care about having to crawl over each other either.

All: I think u would need to see a better view of an aft cabin set up, with the u and without to get how two would sleep. I certainly have a hard time visualizing it witha v berth! I agree going above deck each time would suck, especially in rain or spray just to get something, etc.

I was thinking about the entilation ussue as well. Since u want to run heat and a/c, that could be an issue, although I saw a couple of o'days with little auxillary heaters in the cabin. And yes, I meant 37. Oops.

I guess if I can find a big enough vberth, that could work for moorage or at anchor, but I understand this would suck while in passage, or just in rough seas?? I know people here say to get what you need now, but I'll be spending a significant amount of money on any boat I buy to gear up, and will be seriously sailing soon, so I'd rather buy something with that near future in mind as the difference in boat cost will be slight while the gear up will likely be fairly fixed regardless. Plus, if I do sell later, it will likely be easier to recoup the total investment from a sligtly larger, 2 stateroom boat rigged for liveaboard and blue water sailing. Does that make sense? If so, what would you all suggest in 2 cabin cutters and sloops in the 40-60k range plus another $30k for gearing up?
Old 17-09-2010, 21:00   #10

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I looked at a 79 Hughes 40 the other day..had been re rigged as a sloop with a roller furling main which was loose footed...the cabin layout was awesome on this boat..big cabin aft, but with some deck space aft...it did have a hard dodger, but visibility was still pretty good..had big windows..if I had a loose 80 grand i'd hunt one up pretty quick..one of the nicest boats i've been on...heavy bugger though..28klbs..
Old 17-09-2010, 21:58   #11

Boat: Peterson 46
Hi, SS little devil, we have a Peterson 46. This is a pic of our aft cabin which is about the width of a king size bed at the front end, narrowing to about 2 pillow width for our feet.

I think being away from the anchor end is more comfy for sleeping.

and looking forward from the aft bunk.[with everything closed up) We have both a hatch to the cockpit and a walkway (with pilot berth)

Our Yr 10 student has the forward cabin, inc playstation etc.
Good luck in you search
Old 17-09-2010, 22:36   #12

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well I should not even comment on this thread because I don't have the sail time or sea experience of those that weighed in...but I did find a couple discrepancy as far as my boat is concerned.

We have a huge Lazaret..5 women could hide in it..

My steering is cable and its a one or two finger balanced helm...even in a big blow.

I have to agree I have concerns for the athwart ship aft bunk..time will tell...We have a sea birth both port and starboard so I think its benefit at anchor will far out weigh its limitations on passage...I have heard passage making is 5% of your sailing time anyway the rest is at anchor.

I totally agree with a CC being wet...you are closer to the splashy end after all...being pooped is less likely though...that doesn't bother me as much as their poor cockpit drainage though...mines a piece of cake to dock with the vision afforded...but main sail visibility sucks.

Lots of trade offs...some one once said no boats perfect...I think that's pretty accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EK-10.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	19347  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
We have a huge Lazaret..5 women could hide in it..

Lots of trade offs...some one once said no boats perfect...I think that's pretty accurate.
Hey Still,
Now just a question - 6 women will not fit, but 5 will!! Please elaborate how. I gotta hear this. Please dont just say you guestimated...
Old 17-09-2010, 23:08   #14

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hey Still,
Now just a question - 6 women will not fit, but 5 will!! Please elaborate how. I gotta hear this. Please dont just say you guestimated...
Like I said ...no boats perfict...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 23:37   #15

pirate Still, the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Like I said ...no boats perfict...
So, a gentleman never tells....You are the man.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: