Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-09-2010, 00:47   #16

I'm not sure what goes on in your cabin, but a v berth has been fun for me and the wife.

Old 18-09-2010, 03:53   #17

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Our aft cabin with both a double and single. Excellent sea berths. Also, both port and starboard passages to the main salon with 6'6" headroom. Among the best c/c cruising vessels for its length that you will come across. All the best with the search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft Cabin.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	19349  

Old 18-09-2010, 03:57   #18

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
hi

the nauticat 42 has both an aft cockpit and an aft cabin. there is no lack of ventilation with a large over head hatch, a breezeway from the pilot-house and opening side portlights.

three of did the atlantic crossing and i slept in the aft cabin. on yr own you can lie against either side depending on what tack you are on. it was great. the forecabin was uncomfortable with the seas coming from ahead and the pilot berth opposite the galley was ok.

with two of you in this sort of main bunk arrangement there's no need to crawl over one another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1735235_12.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	19350  
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 05:06   #19

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Hi

Just to add my two cents worth. We have a small CC only 12.2m. YES this has meant a compromise on space in the saloon, although I would say the designers have made a great job of maximising the space available. And I always am aiming to be in hot, sunny climes outside relaxing not inside the saloon...dreaming of it now!

Aft cabin is fantastic, huge berth with walk around access and full head room.

No compromise on deck lazarettes ours are huge, think I could get three women either side so that makes 6 all told!!! Magic if they are the cooking, cleaning types ;-)

Ventilation is excellent. Opening ports either side, two large ports above our heads in stern of boat and large hatch above.

Full headroom access via the galley kitchen and then on opposite side great head with full stall shower.

Cockpit is incredibly dry...to date I have never put my wet weather overalls on (in nearly two years) only my jacket, whereas always had to in our aft cockpit boat.

Berth is split mattress with provision for lee cloth on both side, choose your position according to tack or as one of our crew likes to do she sleeps athwartships between the "walls" of the head of the bed and is thus wedged in. Myself I couldn't be doing with that I prefer hauling a mattress out of the forward double, throwing it smack bang in the middle of the ship on the floor. Snug, relatively motionless and not far to fall.

YES I do agree with the point made re hydraulic steering..I hate it..compared to learning with a tiller, conversely husband loves it...so go figure?

BEST point, husband has said he would only consider CC for long term cruising so when he gets sick of me he can go there and shut the door tight for as long as he needs.

Regards Clare
SV Ellan Vannin
Old 18-09-2010, 05:29   #20

Boat: now starting myself, C SPRAY 38
Custom Centennial Spray 38 by Bruce Roberts

hi,
i recently buy the plans and patterns of Bruce Roberts Centennial Spray 38,but custom made for me.
I am very excited about my plans because almost every my need here is satisfied.
There is large aft cabin with twin bad.good passage with normal high to aft cabin, good bathroom with access from saloon and from aft cabin,large seating area in the saloon,very good kitchen and one good double bad in front cabin.
Great!
Old 18-09-2010, 07:28   #21

Boat: lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrine33
I have a Hunter 45ft center cockpit, you can walk round 3 sides of the queen bed. I love it,
kat
Old 18-09-2010, 11:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
hi

the nauticat 42 has both an aft cockpit and an aft cabin. there is no lack of ventilation with a large over head hatch, a breezeway from the pilot-house and opening side portlights.

three of did the atlantic crossing and i slept in the aft cabin. on yr own you can lie against either side depending on what tack you are on. it was great. the forecabin was uncomfortable with the seas coming from ahead and the pilot berth opposite the galley was ok.

with two of you in this sort of main bunk arrangement there's no need to crawl over one another
Oh wow. I see now that for about 2/3 length the bulkheads keep you from rolling out. That makes more sense now and that is probably the nicest stateroom I have seen so far. It looks like a theme room from a vegas honeymoon hotel! The 52' boat will be a little out of my range though and I also would like to be able to singlehand so a little too large I think. Very nice though both of you!
Old 18-09-2010, 11:54   #23
Marine Service Provider

Ellan: By ventilation, I'm more concerned about distributing heat and A/C from one main source - not being able to get a breeze from outside, but I appreciate all of your comments!
Old 18-09-2010, 11:55   #24
Marine Service Provider

Lol. Just checked the price of the Nauticat 42's. Ouch! Lol!
Old 18-09-2010, 11:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

This is what some consider an aft cabin I guess?? Does not look like a double, is it?? Yeesh! 1984 Island Packet 31 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Maybe I need to search for aft stateroom?
Old 18-09-2010, 20:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
We like our 42CC. We have 6' settees on port & starboard in the salon for sleeping while underway, which is not often. Most of the time we enjoy the full headroom aft cabin.
We sit high & dry in our cockpit. Would like more storage in the cockpit but it isn't really a problem. Plenty of lockers throughout the boat
Old 18-09-2010, 20:36   #27

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Little devil, avast! I own a 9.49m,31 foot, adams grp sloop, with a cc and aft cabin, accessed via a stoopway past the galley, it is just great!! has 3 berthing options, one port, one starboard, both with lee sheets and a double athwartships for conjugugal bliss? Also a double in the saloon and a vberth forward, smallish.
The crew is sleeping in the saloon now and I am separate in the aft cabin with a big fold down chart table and a hatch onto the aft deck which I can climb in and out of independently. Only cost 45K aussie dollars in LANGKAWI, lots for sale in aussie, currently cruising for 9 months in Nw Sumatra, surfing.
http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Cheers mate.
Old 19-09-2010, 15:13   #28
Marine Service Provider

Rusky and Still. Thanks for the info and pics. Missed them last post. Gettinthere: What is your boat besides being a 42CC?? Surfmachine: That all sounds pretty cool in 31" boat! Wow. Can you suggest any sites to look at for boats in Aus? I don't mind flying there to buy and starting to sail out from there.
Old 19-09-2010, 15:28   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Umm, the large bunk in an aft cabin, aligned fore and aft and centered in the cabin -- that is, not offset to either side, works beautifully at sea. All you need is a lee cloth in the the middle of it. On a port tack you sleep on the port side of the lee cloth and vice versa. Only drawback is that only one person can sleep in it when heeled, but that is true of all double berths. That's why some really serious sea boats like Hallberg-Rasseys have an extra, single berth in the aft cabin -- so that there are good sea berths for two people.

Aft cabins have a lot of advantages, not the least of which is privacy (you've got the whole salon and sometimes other spaces between you and guests). But they don't tend to work very well spatially in boats under a certain size, which I guess must be 40 feet or so. If you check the archives you will see a lot of useful information on this.
Old 19-09-2010, 16:41   #30

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Rusky and Still. Thanks for the info and pics. Missed them last post. Gettinthere: What is your boat besides being a 42CC?? Surfmachine: That all sounds pretty cool in 31" boat! Wow. Can you suggest any sites to look at for boats in Aus? I don't mind flying there to buy and starting to sail out from there.
Probably yachthub.com.au - They wont have all the boats listed of course.

Some places where some poor unfortunate's dream ended such as Bundaberg, Mackay or Cairns -Also darwin as it is almost a point of no return.(Either a big beat against the trades to windward or continue around the world)

Plenty of good cruisers for sale as their owners are doing something different -so the boat has to go!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: