Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 12:08   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43
Re: Advise on yachts under 200k USD

Snap Hellsfire! From Picton originally and have similar intentions. Bought the boat in July after flying to Florida for multiple viewings. Shortlist was the sensible choice or the one. The heart won !
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 18:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I bought a cal 2-46 and it will have me in around that by the time I finish my now 80% finished refit
I love the boat and they are very solid and respected ocean boats

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-11-2014, 21:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

That budget makes many boats possible. But when it comes to needs, desires, and tastes, everyone is different.

Speaking of "different" I also consider some boats that are a little different .

I saw an OVNI 36 that I found interesting.

I came across a couple of yachts you might enjoy seeing and considering.

1990 53 foot steel cutter, well equipped.
Nice interior (see photos)
Bruce Roberts 38 steel sailboats for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce- Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce

I have always found the junk rig to be interesting as it has some advantages over Bermudan rigs.

60 foot steel Colvin design junk rig
Lots of improvements and refit updated gear.
Junk rig is noted for ease of handling(tacking or reefing).
5 watertight compartments!
Colvin design 60' sailboats for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce- Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	92012  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 21:39   #19

Tonight I saw a beautiful 49 foot sloop/cutter on the Jacksonville Florida Craigslist. I think it was at $149K and from photos looked to be very clean. Seemed low priced for that much boat. Take a look. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:00   #20

I must thank everyone for their wonderful comment and they are a great help. On the cat comment I have never sailed one so could not comment but coming New Zealand I have seen some of our sailing Heros have them in some huge seas... I could never do that so I need to stick to the safe option and what I know. The yachts posted here are exactly what I am looking for so big thanks to those posting

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hellsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:47   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

hellsfire I'm curious about your sailing experience, because I think that bears on both your plans as well as the "right" boat for you. Your initial post has hints that you don't have a tremendous amount of boat ownership or long passage experience, but perhaps I am wrong. Knowing a bit more about your background and experience would be helpful to the discussion.

I think if you plan to single-hand a majority of the time, you're going to have great difficulty finding a boat over 40' that is adequately equipped and in your budget. Moreover, the complexity of the boat will go up past that length as well as the running costs. If you're alone most of the time, 40' is more than enough space.

Hawk would in many respects be an ideal boat for you given the simplicity of its systems and the fact that it is not only a go anywhere boat but has literally been almost everywhere. While the listing price is $300k, that is the listing price. I've been on the boat and it's a one of a kind expedition vessel inside and out. The interior is spartan and rough to say the least and the "lack" of many comforts and systems that most cruisers take for granted means that the the pool of potential buyers is rather small. It is certainly worth a conversation with the broker. As mentioned a tremendous upside to Hawk is that she is tested and in relative "sail away" condition for your purposes. Buying a boat from one of the most experienced blue water sailors on the planet is never a bad thing.

Another reason Hawk may be a good fit for you is that if you don't have extensive mechanical, electrical, and other boat maintenance skills, the simpler the boat the better. If you're going to circumnavigate you need to be able to fix everything yourself or at the very least understand how everything works. The less there is to break, the less there is to understand how to fix, or spend money on to fix.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 21:39   #22

Hi Thanks of the reply i have moderate experience in ocean sailing but will not be single handed sail her very often if at all. There would be me my 28 year old son... the lovely misses and maybe another. So usually 3 onboard but sometimes 4.

I do understand the preference of Hawk and i tend to agree. My misses for sure would like some creature comforts for such a long journey so that my cause some issues there. Really this is more than just a circumnavigation but more a long haul trip to see as much as we can.

It is important to me that the yacht has everything needed as you say or is at a price that i can add whats missing and keep to my budget.

one thing i would like some help on is how much to budget during traveling. I understand somethings depend on the yacht but how cost you incur regardless of the type of yacht?
hellsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 21:49   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There are tons of threads on CF about costs. Here's one to start

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-135407.html

Use the search function to find more

Or buy Beth Leonard book "The Voyagers Handbook" It will answer almost any question you have. If Beth doesn't discuss it in her book - you don't need to know it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 22:33   #24
cruiser

Lots of good yachts in your range. I'd start with a late 80's to early 90's Oyster along with Bowman and Tayana. And I wouldn't buy someone else's boat which had already gone around... Instead, look for a boat someone had planned to take around, fitted out for the adventure, then changed their mind.

That's what we did.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 09:27   #25

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Lots of good yachts in your range. I'd start with a late 80's to early 90's Oyster along with Bowman and Tayana. And I wouldn't buy someone else's boat which had already gone around... Instead, look for a boat someone had planned to take around, fitted out for the adventure, then changed their mind.

That's what we did.
Very sound advice above... however, not always easy to find. We bought an Amel SM 53 footer because these are the weapon of choice for many European sailors. Ours is in refit now and will top your budget when completed but we went overboard on the budget. Look at Yachtworld... lots of bargains in your category.

Beware! Insurance may be hard to get for lightly constructed boats beyond the 10 year mark. GL with your project.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:45   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
And I wouldn't buy someone else's boat which had already gone around... Instead, look for a boat someone had planned to take around, fitted out for the adventure, then changed their mind.

That's what we did.
I agree completely with this advice, particularly with respect to fiberglass boats. While fiberglass is a durable material, hundreds of thousands if not millions of stress cycles, which is what a boat gets subjected to during a circumnavigation, takes its toll on structural integrity. Better to find a boat that was outfitted for the trip but never actually embarked on it.

The exception is the fiberglass boat that has been continually and expertly maintained and reinforced as necessary. But that's a bit like looking for a unicorn...you'll never know if you're actually looking at a mule with a narwal horn 5200'ed to it's forehead.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht