Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30   #1

Advice on this Boat and our first voyage

Hello all

I am new to posting here but have been lurking for quite some time.
I wanrt to say that the information provided here is enormous help to those of us that are considering sailing and purchasing a new boat.

With that in mind I wanted to asked for some advice on the purchase of a boat.

Morgan Out Island 51 SAIL: Cruiser for sale St. Petersburg FL

that is the boat we are considering. It will be myself , my girlfriend and possibly 1 other person. We are planning on a 3-5 yr trip starting off the coast of the US then on to the Bahamas and carribean. We would eventualy like to make an ocean passage to see and explore the rest of the world.

Now none of us has ever sailed at all, so we would be taking lessons for the next 1-1 1/2 yrs and preparing the boat. We are looking for a sound boat and have read everything we can about the different models out there but dont have much knowledge to go on as far as reputation and reliablity.

I am hoping this starts a indepth thread A. about that boat in particular and B. any other advice you good folks would be willing to share with
us.

Also we are in California and that boat is in Florida we called and inquired without much help but are going to fly out to look at it maybe next week. Is this price negotiable usualy and is that a decent price for this model and age??

Please any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you
GZgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
You might consider taking some smaller steps before you jump into something like this. This boat is a 1975 and for someone new to boats will have an overwhelming amount of maintenance and costs associated with it. A boat this size is real handful for a couple with experience. Why do you think you need such a large boat?

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
This model is ideal for cruising Bahamas and Caribbean but might be a bit too much for a neophyte. It's not sailing you need to worry about when you buy a boat like this but boat maintenance and repair. For example I note that the fridge is 120v AC but the generator is not connected (probably not working either). Unless you or your friends know a lot about boats you're going into a minefield. The price is certainly negotiable but what you have to know is how much it's going to cost you to make this boat "cruisable". Sails, rigging, electrics, just these three items might cost more than $30,000 so unless you know something about boats this bargain might cost you more than a similar model already set up and ready for cruising. Besides the three items I mentioned there are many others that might cost a bundle such as hull condition so you really need the opinion of an impartial, qualified surveyor and it's not easy to get one you can trust.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55   #4

My first thought was this had to be a troll. But then I figured maybe not. You've never been sailing AT ALL and you want your first boat to be an old 51 footer??? Are you NUTS? If not nuts you had better be one fast learner! Take several different GPS systems, a liferaft and lots of sunscreen....If the Bumfuzzle can do it , so can you.

happy sailing

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 13:18   #5

No we are serious about all of it. We are just really unsure as to were to start on a boat.

The reason we were loking for somehting a bit larger was that we might have a 3rd person with us for a major part of our voyage. And obviously comfort would be a concern.

Also since we are not long time sailors or have extensive sailign experience would a larger boat be better ( more stable ) crossing the oceans.

We are very aware of our lack of skill and plan on doing a lot of learning , training etc. We have gone sailing every weekend for the last 2 months but only in San Fransisco bay. And we were not being taught just enjoying it and getting a feel for boats etc.

I have been looking at 40ft boats but I saw this one and didnt know about the model. I am just worried that we buy something small and get a yr in and wish we had more room. Also the price wasnt the thign for this model, I wasnt sure if spending less at first and then upgrading her for another 30k was better r its better to get a more current model with less intial work.

I do appreciate all the feedback but I want to be very clear this is something we are going to do and I want any and all advice. Like suggestions on possible a smaller size boat that might fit our needs etc.

Thanks Ill check back ina bit
Old 10-10-2007, 13:30   #6

Gz,
What is the budget that you have for the boat and the refit? This is typically going to be a limiting factor. Even with 3 people, you do not need that big a boat. Don't get me wrong, I like big boats, but I don't think they are appropriate for someone just starting out. The pressures and weight of everything on a boat goes up quickly with size. Can you take off a mainsail and carry it below in heavy conditions? Can you deal with a 100lb anchor when the winch dies? Can you get into a tight slip in a heavy cross wind? If you got a 35-40ft boat and took off and then after a year decided that you wanted something bigger -- it wouldn't be the end of the world and you would know by that time what really works for you.

Paul L
Old 10-10-2007, 13:38   #7

I would personaly like to stay within a 125k range that way I can pay cash for everything and still have my sailing kitty for 5 yrs.

I can go as high as 250k with loans. I am torn on which direction to start out on, I like the idea of doing some hands-ons stuff and the intimate knowledge it will bring. Then again the less worries and less trouble out of the box probably means more actual sailing and cruising which is the point of this whole ordeal.

We dont absolutely have to have the best of everything, we arent rich and understand our limits. With that being said I have read many many articles and post about the problems of a large boat.

Would 40ft be a better fit for 3 adults, would this actualy provide enough room for relaxation and privacy??

Also we arent steping off the dock and leaving, we have around 1 1/2 yrs to get to know boating, cruising, sailing etc. We will put in our homework and time or we will not be going.
Old 10-10-2007, 13:50   #8

Your 125k budget is too low for a 50 ft boat that is in good shape and equiped. You've got lots of time, so start looking at all different types of boats. There's plenty on the market in your area. A 40ft well laid out boat is fine for 3 people. If you are stuck on a larger boat, take a look at the Stevens 47. A good performing boat - YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Browsing Yachtworld will get you lots of info on what's in the market.

Paul L
Old 10-10-2007, 13:54   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You are obviously serious. Your first priority is to get a good surveyor. A real good surveyor. Not one the seller or broker picks. Before you go you might ask if there's been a recent survey that they'd let you see. I doubt if there's one but it doesn't hurt to ask. Learning on a bigger boat is not much more difficult than a smaller one, it's just that the consequences of your errors might be greater. Actually in rough weather the bigger boat might be better. It might pay when you go to have a look to bring along a buddy who really knows boats so that if it's really bad you don't have to incur the costs of hauling and survey.
Old 10-10-2007, 14:01   #10

Yeah I was sure that 125k was way too low for this size that why I was interested in the opinions on that listing it sound a bit too good.

I very much appreciate all the help and advice on this forum. Another question I have is are there any folks on here that A. would be willing to help a novice out in sailing experience that live on the west coast ( for a price of course) and B. are there any who offer their services to look at boats for an intial inspection.

When the time comes I would feel much better having spoken or written to someone extensively and shared the boats I am looking at and with this knowledge in hand take them along with us to look at the boat in question. Obviously I will pay airfare and travel for them, heck hopefuly can strike up a friendship
Old 10-10-2007, 14:10   #11

GZ,
It might be a little premature for this now, but once you settle in better on your budget, destination and boat types, you can get top-notch advice from Bob Perry at remarkably low-cost. If you don't know who is, you will once you start looking at cruising boat designs.
Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. - CONSULTATION SERVICE

Paul L
Old 10-10-2007, 14:22   #12

I'd highly recommend that you read this John Vigor book.
Amazon.com: Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: Books: John Vigor

In it he helps you put a number on your preparedness for sea. Both the boat and the skipper. And guess what has the largest +/- factor? The SKIPPER...duh.

Comfort at sea is NOT dependent on length alone, no matter what the salesmen says.... Besides it's SAFETY that you need to be concerned with number one, comfort number two. A big comfortable boat at anchor can be a death trap in a storm at sea...
Getting thrown across a 12 foot wide salon into the edge of the galley counter hurts... You must be able to reach hand holds without ever letting go with both hands. Unless you're an acrobat, or at least have a tremendous sense of balance and lots of strength. Having handholds within reach and a nice secure place to wedge yourself will add more for comfort at sea than a salon that's 12 feet wide..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 14:30   #13

I have it in my hand as I type this. I bought every book that was recommended reading on this and another site.

I have Nigel Caulders books also. All are great reading.

Yes safety is of top importance on our list, I guess I should have said that.

With safety in mind , size and apserations. What would you recommend.

Also we wanted to purchase our boat soon ( within the next 6 months) so we would have over a yrs experience on her.
Old 10-10-2007, 14:56   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Big boat no...

I fully endorse those members who have said that an old 50' is going to be a real handful.

To see what you really like buy an old 30'. While you fix it up and learn how to keep a boat keep your eyes open for other boats. And your money will increase.

Can you imagine what that 50' Morgan would be like if you got caught by a wind gust while docking or anchoring, at the same time as another problem occurred?

In terms of privacy 50' does not do it. All boats are small and you are going to find all about your crewmates. Better to do it on a 30' boat.

I have jut realised that my 44' is way to large for me. An expensive mistake.

You need to find a surveyor that brokers hate. One who loves to chat without taking your money, so that you can run prospective purchases past them. Many surveyors depend on references from within the industry to get their work. Be careful.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 15:01   #15

Found this boat on your recommended site

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=

ack sorry for that not sure how to link yet i guess, now I have a question
are boatsout here in the west coast typicaly not as well suited for the travels to the island off the east coast?? I just kinda like the idea of having an extra 40-50k to change things add on etc

Sorry if I look as though I am being cheap, I really have np spending upwards of 150 -175k but would fixing it up be better??

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a surveyor they use that fits the description everyone is recommending?