Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 18:42   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Advice on Old Boats 27-39'

Title should read 27-30 foot.... Opps

Ok folks... been shooting my mouth of on a few posts lately... but now its my turn to ask a question....
I'm thinking of flying over to the States and picking up a cheap old boat on the East Coast and sailing it down the ICW and across to the Islands later this year... follow the Snow Geese...lol.
Now my Budget is, from what I've seen quoted by others to date, a joke ... but so is life.... and its been a great laugh so far...
I've been looking at older Tartan 27's, Pearson 28's and Islander 30's.... all seem pretty tidy(Internet pic's tell a 1,000 lies) and all under $10,000... the older Tartans, 60's early 70's seem well cared for, roomy and well designed for solo sailing and I'm sorta taken by em... the headroom's handy for my 6'2" as well...
Now I'm not after remarks on suitability for purpose... you've probably gathered I'm 99 cents short of a dollar on that point... but I would like input more on sailing qualities/quirks, weaknesses and points to look out for when I'm checking one of these over.
My knowledge of US boats is somewhat limited to my experiences in Oriental,NC in 04/05 when I bought an old Cherubini 37 cutter there and took it to the UK....
Now having said that I'll probably buy by gut instinct anyway.. usually do, the boats talk to me... but all "Heads Ups" will be gratefully received.... Cheers guys...
Phil the Boat

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 12:03   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
My opinion from experience is that if you do want Pearson, Tartan or Islanders in that size range pick one that was built before 1970 and has rigging, sail and hull sheathing updates. You can't beat a Pearson Triton for whatever you want to do. If possible find one with a diesel update.
regards,
Old 19-02-2010, 12:48   #3

Just about any good condition cruiser class boat can take you down the ICW and across the stream to the Bahamas. But "good condition" is the operative term. With 35+ year old boats condition is everything, and any part of them that is still 35 years old is suspect: deck, hull, wiring, tanks, ports, hatches, steering system, etc. I'd go light on the sailing characteristics/quirks issue and look for the best condition cruiser class boat you can afford that serves your size/comfort needs.

Having said that, the old Tartan 27s often have gasoline engines - you either like them or you don't. The 37 Cherubini cutter (in good condition) would be an excellent choice for your intended use, but you're unlikely to find a good one for $10K. Columbias can be good old boats, but it's still all about condition - eg.:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=2666&url=

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 14:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=slomotion;406619]Just about any good condition cruiser class boat can take you down the ICW and across the stream to the Bahamas. But "good condition" is the operative term. With 35+ year old boats condition is everything, and any part of them that is still 35 years old is suspect: deck, hull, wiring, tanks, ports, hatches, steering system, etc. I'd go light on the sailing characteristics/quirks issue and look for the best condition cruiser class boat you can afford that serves your size/comfort needs.

Having said that, the old Tartan 27s often have gasoline engines - you either like them or you don't. The 37 Cherubini cutter (in good condition) would be an excellent choice for your intended use, but you're unlikely to find a good one for $10K. Columbias can be good old boats, but it's still all about condition - eg.:

Cherubini 37 I've done.... its the smaller boats I'm looking at this time... something to get me to St Martin where I can settle for a bit..
Engine does not bother me over much as I'll have no real schedule and may get bored sailing'inland' and jump out into blue water by the time I get to Beaufort NC....
Most of what I've seen is way up Nth... CT and further.. spotted a nice Bristol 26 with neat O/B well setup, one owner and really nicely fitted out... also a small Maxi thats been stored inside for 10yrs and everythings been checked A1..
My present boat is 32 yrs old, the one before was 37yrs... so I'm somewhat experienced with that side...
However, they're Brit boats and I knew them from my days as Bosun in a yard back home... can do most things including rigging, shaft replacement etc but, engines however, is another matter... Lost the knack somewhere along the way... strange since I used to strip down my bikes way back when..simple stuff like cooling, filters, bleeding etc OK..
Diagnostics is something else... but give me a manual n I'll have a go..
Keep it coming.. lotsa holes in my knowledge to be filled. Cored decks to avoid, weak rudder set-ups etc..
http://www.yachtworld.com/privatelab...g_id=77129&url=

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 20-02-2010, 07:27   #5

Bristols can be good old boats and the outboard installation looks to be a good one. However, IMHO an OB powered monohull is not a good choice for extended cruising.

There's nothing wrong with cored decks as long as they don't have serious water intrusion - this is pretty easy to check. If you liked the Cherubini 37, you might also like the old Hunter 27s - also a Cherubini design that can be good old boats - eg.:

1981 Hunter 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

Old 20-02-2010, 07:34   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Hey Philbo, are you figuring on not bothering with a survey on such a low valuse boat?

When your paying in the region of £7,500, all the extras like survey cost push the price up and maybe you have to ask the question, as long as your aware what defects your looking for on a particular type, youve minimised the risk of buying a trouble maker
Old 20-02-2010, 08:52   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Cape Dory 25D. Surprisingly roomy for a 25 footer and it will take you anywhere.

There is a U.S. magazine called Good Old Boat, and their classified ads are on line here:
Good Old Boat - Boats For Sale

I would check these classifieds periodically as some of the listings never make it into Yachtworld. IMHO the Seafarer 34 in Chicago that is being advertised for $12,000 would suit your purposes nicely.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:55   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
I, too, say: if you have some experience with boats and are willing to search for one with no obvious structural issues, then one can go without survey.

If the future owner has little or no understanding/experience, then go for the surveyor, but it does add up to the price of any small craft.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 14:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Slomotion, Curmudgeon... thanks for the links guys, I'll scan em well, and, as it'll be a coupla months yet before I'll start planning the trip over it'll gimme a fair variety to scan long range and narrow down areas with good groupings...
Have looked at the CD 25's and am impressed with the look and some of the info I got back from a mate in Oriental who owned one.
Anjou... I never bother with surveys, big headed enough to think I can do it myself... as some one said on another post, its amazing what one can learn with a rubber mallet, screwdriver and small hammer... lol.
Seen a Grampian 30 for $5,500 in Annapolis that looks tidyish but needs kitting out with a couple of 'updates'.. but at the $zone I'm working in its to be expected...
By the way, anyone interested in my last US visit and resulting crossing check out this link.... they got bits of the story wrong but you'll get the gist of it...
Phil's Voyage To England | TownDock.net | Oriental NC News, Weather & Photos
It'll give you some idea of the guy doing the shopping...may even raise a smile or two...lol
TurnAround Phil aka Boatman.

Old 20-02-2010, 16:01   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8
It's the CD 25D you want, not the CD 25.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 16:40   #11

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
The CD25 is tiny,the 25D is a completly different boat with a rather sensible interior,almost identical to my Lindenberg 26,in fact if you are not crossing oceans the Lindy wouldnt be a bad boat either, huge interior,great layout,more deckspace than any boat its size and fast(PHRF 168) oh,and cheap,theres one for sale in Minneapolis for $5500 asking price with a very nice tandem axle trailer. There are so many boats in that size range that would work as long as you dont get tempted to take it home with you.
Erricson 27 & 29,Tartan 27 & 30, Pearson 30 and of course the hunter 27 and 30.Lots of good old boats in that size range cheap.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 16:51   #12

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Phil,
Thanks for the Town Dock link about your journey across the pond. This next 'project' of yours should be easy after that.
I have a 1967 Tartan 27' with the original petrol engine. The engine is not a problem if you know how to baby it. I started a yahoo group for T27Owners and we now have nearly 250 members - there are a few for sale by the way. One member modified his boat and sailed to the Marshall Islands.
The main things that could be problematic are the chain plates; a similar issue to the wet deck core issue mentioned by others. Center board pennant (cable) problems can also occur. Other then that the boat was designed as a 'coastal cruiser' and was built quite heavily. There are decent hand holds in the cabin and the boat will steer itself on certain tacks (adjusting the center board height will cause the boat to head up or fall off). The cutaway forefoot 'full keel' tracks very well and has a draft of 3'6" with the board up; 6' with the board down.
You mentioned that you are 6'2". I am 6'0" and can stand up straight only in the main cabin. In other areas I need to crook my neck.
Other brands of similar vintage share some of the same concerns.
I wish you well on your next voyage.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 08:24   #13

For owner reviews on the '75 to '84 H27s, go here:

HunterOwners.com

Old 22-02-2010, 10:05   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

In your shoes I would also be looking at strange / foreign / unknown brands (ideally also from builders long disappeared into the boatyard in the sky). Which in the US will include older UK / European ones.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote