Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 15:45   #1

Boat: ...none yet
Advice on buying a starter boat...

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker here! So, I've been thinking about taking a plunge and buying a "cheap" monohull so I can learn as much as I can while actually sailing instead of reading books and watching youtube videos. No sailing experience other then taggining along with a buddy last summer. I was browsing through CL and there seem to be quite a few boats so I need to come up with some kind of systematic approach on how to find the right one for me. Planning on sailling the LI sound, maybe spending a night or two when schedule allows, for now. I am aware that there are numerous things to look for but basics for now would be great. Here's an example of a 1976 pearson, def looks good on "paper". I will likely go and check it out this weekend so any advice would be great. Thank you all in advance!

1976 30' Pearson---MUST GO!

Cheers!
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:04   #2

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
The boat looks great for the money. Of course, there could be issues that don't show up in the pictures.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on buying a starter boat...

Welcome to CF Lurker...
Looks a sweet little deal...
I'd give the seller a call and book dibs on it for 1st refusal now you've posted her on here...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:24   #4

Re: Advice on buying a starter boat...

would offering 2500 initally be considered as lowballing?

im assuming they are eager to sell it since its owned by the boatyard!
Old 20-02-2013, 16:25   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome to the Forum.

Looks like a decent boat from the pictures. Since the ad says recently owned by the boatyard, you'll need to go over it as much as you can. Take a more experienced buddy who can look with you and go over its systems and ask questions with the boatyard and see if there's any additional info you can get out of them.

Try looking at this link: Boat Inspection Trip Tips - SailNet Community
There's some good info on what things you can look for during your inspection including a checklist that can guide you through the process.

Going over it can give you an idea if there's any immediate work that needs to be done before it gets into the water.

Good luck to you. Hope it all works out for you. If something doesn't seem right, there's plenty of others around.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
The question you are asking is rather loaded and fraught with danger. What are your skills? I purchased a boat that had good bones and tons of issues. I have probably booked around 40 hours crawling around the boat removing 20 ga lamp wire and replacing it with wiring that met code. Several wiring runs, including the one to the VHF radio had several splices. The VHF radio had a hidden fuse that in an emergency, I never would have found. Add to that a new mixing elbow, fixing hidden water tanks leaks, etc

The point is purchasing a "cheap" boat, can be Russian roulette. Even if the boat is a "steal" get a survey from a competent surveyor. Spending only $X boat bucks might not be a lot of money for you, but if the engine fails, rigging fails, or if there are tons of little issues you do not have the skills to fix- the bargain is not a bargain.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, just trying you help make an informed decision.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:34   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Make sure you go to do the 'survey' with a sailing mate who knows about the technical pitfalls, unless you are a technical type by yourself.

If she is sound, I too would try to bargain. Remember you may need to upgrade things - engine, rigging, sails, etc.. Calculate such likes and other likes (marina or mooring costs, boatyard/dry storage, insurance, taxes, etc..) before you devote to having your own ship.

Otherwise I think if you want a boat, do get one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on buying a starter boat...

Make very sure she has ALL the right paperwork... this sounds very much like an outstanding debt claim has been served.. time given has expired and the yard is selling her to settle their claim..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:45   #9

Great responses!

I am def aware that I know close to nothing about the in'n'outs of owning a boat. My thinking is that getting a used "sea-worthy" boat would allow me to learn those things step by step, as long as the boat is sea-worthy I would be ok with putting in the time to fix gradually...so figuring whether the boat can float and sail is paramount and thats what I wanna learn...is that reasonable?
Old 20-02-2013, 17:03   #10

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Agreed with the above on finding a buddy that knows and taking them, as well as researching that boat on-line as much as you can before you go, so you know what the issues were with them(applies to any boat). If its on CL and its a good P30, 5k is CHEAP, so expect it gone by the weekend, if not- something is up - could just be easy stuff- my P30 was cheaper than that, but the guy that owned it made it look WAY worse than it was, and was too busy drinking beer to get it started, so I was actually the 4th person to see it. And the things it needs/needed (besides throwing out a dumpster full of junk) were all easy stuff to do for me.
Looking at the pics as a Pearson owner- inside looks OK, mostly virgin- which is either good(well maintained) or bad(worn out). Compression post has darkness near the bottom-normal with the shower drain into the bilge, but check for rot. Stern rail is different - why? Coming teak tops are missing- why? No big deal unless they are hiding something.
Walk the whole deck in your bare feet to check for soft spots- looks like original no-skid (the swirled paint).
Sails? Thats an easy 6K min. if you need a jib and main.
No engine talked about or shown- I'm guessing its the A4- usually no major issues. Rudder bushings wear out like crazy on these- parts are available to fix, but you need to dig a hole or get it higher in the air to get the rudder out.
I'm not getting into the whole size thing, but its a fairly big boat to start with- its been done both ways, some folks work up and others start far bigger than a 30 footer.
I will say, for the vintage,they are fast, capable cruisers.
If you go look and have any questions, feel free to ask.

RicknSue
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:04   #11

Offer what you can - our first boat was a 33ft Islander we picked up on eBay. Drove down met the owner, agreed on some improvements and e also allowed me to make payments over a year and a half period! He even split the slip fees for 60'days till we could move the boat...

Also - if the owner likes you and thinks your a good fit that's also a plus.

Never be afraid to ask for a fair deal and terms / the worst case is they say no just set some form of expectation up front (I.e.: your not coming with a cashiers check for the full amount).

Hope that helps.
Old 20-02-2013, 17:08   #12

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Make very sure she has ALL the right paperwork... this sounds very much like an outstanding debt claim has been served.. time given has expired and the yard is selling her to settle their claim..
Really agree with this- New york has some funny title stuff(like I dont think they have them), so that opens up cans of worms in other states(or could). In Ohio now, its almost impossible for a boatyard, or mechanic shop to seize a vehicle/vessel anymore, and its led to all kinds of 'shady' deals.
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:18   #13

Boat: Watkins 29'
Yes that's reasonable... That boat will get you out there.
There will be plenty to fix, and I'll echo what was already said a few times. Take along a boat savvy friend who knows what they are looking at, and give her a good survey. Don't really think getting a Marine Surveyor involved is really feasible for a low budget affair, but you may need a Surveyor to get the boat insured, if you are planning to keep the boat in a marina you will need insurance.
Old 20-02-2013, 17:21   #14

ah! the costs of owning a boat...so boat slip ~2000, insurance ? , what other set costs am I missing? (other than fixing costs)
Old 20-02-2013, 17:44   #15

Boat: Watkins 29'
Winter storage, slip, insurance, annual maintenance, upkeep, registration, toys,

Tags
buying