Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2013, 20:56   #1

Boat: chrysler c-22 pilgrim
Send a message via Yahoo to Straightrazor41
Advice For Lake Erie??????

I'll be returning this spring to lake erie with my chrysler 22. I spent three months last season driving the 400 miles each way gaining the sailing experience I need. I would really like to make more progress this year though. My choice of a marina last year probably wasn't a good one it seems like the few people i met there just were not very friendly and none forthcoming with advice does anyone know of a good red neck marina in the port clinton area?
I've taken a little different direction in my preparations, being land locked here in the mountains i spend the off season learning the mechanics of sailboats. last winter I converted my little 22 to pedestal steering and installed self tailing winches and a chart plotter. This year it getting a B&G wind monitor auto pilot and throttle and shifter remoted to the pedestal among other things.
I know anyone who reads this will think that this is serious over kill for such a cheap little boat but it's letting me learn a great deal about the various system at work in a cruising sailboat and hopefully soon i won't have to pull my boat so far and I'll be able to upsize and just move my gadets over to the bigger boat.

Old 07-01-2013, 21:08   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Advice For Lake Erie??????

The best sailing marina in the area would be Herls. They do cruises to the islands and Canada multiple times a year. All cruisers with a lot of experience. I spent many years there.

Old 07-01-2013, 21:41   #3

Thanks for the lnput I'll see if I can find them online
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12   #4

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

There's also Brand's Marina in Port Clinton & on the Portage River. . . lots of sailboats
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28   #5

Boat: 1993 Catalina36 #1233 "Windancer"

Both Herls on Catawba and Brands Marina at Port Clinton would be good choices. You did not mention the previous location you were unhappy with, nor your reasons why?
I have been at Brands for the past 10 seasons and very happy with the location and the Marina. We have many friends at Herls on Catawba who keep their boats at Brands during the winter. You will get more cooling Lake breeze at Herls than at Brands during the hot July, August period.
We are 2 1/2 hours from the Islands,like to anchor at Middle Bass.
Boats at Catawba go to Kelleys Island and the Bass Islands.
Sandusky offers a more protected Bay for smaller boats like yours. Sandusky Sailing Club might be a consideration
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52   #6

Re: jfsail:

hello from C-7 . . . Newport 28
Old 08-01-2013, 08:32   #7

hello surv69. do you sail western lake erie?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46   #8

Straightrazer 41:
After giving your background a little more thought, I offer the following advise. I have been in sailing for over 40 years , started with Sunfish, Widgeon 12, 19' Flying Scot (had two at one time), and Catalina 36 for 10 years. Gained most of my experience racing the Flying Scot all over the eastern US for 39 years.
I don't think you need instruments like an autopilot or B&G wind meter on a 22' sailboat for Lake Erie, both unlikely to be transferrable to a new larger boat. Your present boat is worth $2000 - $5000, probably in the middle, and neither upgrade will improve your sailing abilities. Stick with a masthead fly and wool telltales on the shrouds, and a tiller.
I have spent a number of weeks cruising Lake Erie on my 19' Flying Scot, anchoring at South and Middle Bass, also sailing to Scudder at the north shore of Pelee. I never needed a wind instrument.
Spend your dough on a roller furler, if you don't already have one or newer sails.
You will or have found that on Lake Erie, you will have more weekends on the Lake vs at the dock if it were bigger, 25-27 ft.This is especially true during June when thunderstorms arrive in the afternoon.

Hello and Happy New Year to Surv69 on dock C-7 from Windancer on E-13
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57   #9

I didn't mention the marina because I didn't want to give them negative publicity. It was lakevue marina. They haven't done anything bad , just not very friendly ppl.
I did however enjoy sailing out of there to kelleys island. I know my boat is small but better sailors have circumnavigated in boats as small as mine so I'm pretty determined to stay out on the main lake and gain the experience.
I was out there during laborday weekend and the chop built to about 3 feet, it was tossing me around like a thimbal at first but when i got to within a mile or so of shore and relaxed a little i had the most fun I've ever had on the boat and gained a little confidence as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02   #10

i just saw your last post and I agree with what your saying about the worth of my boat. The purpose for the toys are more for me to learn about them than for there necessity. I do intend on the roller furler this year, getting the sails up and down was my biggest problem last year so I'm going with a furler and lazy jack this year.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27   #11

Another thing to consider at Brands(and probably Hurl's too), is the opportunity to go out with other sailors on their boats . . . it is a learning experience and helps to build confidence.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32   #12

Sticking with the boat you now have, I would look into Herls since they would be about the same sailing distance to Kelleys and the Islands as Lakevue.They a a very friendly group there, and mostly sailors. You can launch the boat there also.
I would be at Herls now if it wasn't for the great
protection I now have with my dock location plus a lot of room to manuever in and out of my dock plus great neighbors and spare parts only 300' from my dock.
I don't have to put up with the traffic on and off Catawba Island on weekends.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32   #13

I might also add that a Chrysler c22 might be a lot of fun on some smaller . . . and closer lake to where you live.

The cost of roller furling alone might actually be about the price(or a little more) than one of many usable "Lake Erie", sailboats that are laying(and have been), on the hard in Port Clinton.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48   #14

I have almost bought a couple of larger boats, I would love to have one but being so far away I would not get to do anything with it during the off season. I suppose I should go ahead and do it and just leave it there during the winter, do you guys know of any good deals to be had? I've seen many of neglected boats in that area but no way to contact the owners.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54   #15

There's an Alberg 30 for sale . . . I think the price is very, very negotiable.

There are others too.

Problem with boats(especially non-trailerables), is that often, many of the costs associated with sailing don't stop when owners stop sailing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: