Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 07:35   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Advice for docking a boat that doesn't maneuver very well

One of my biggest anxieties as a singlehander isn't facing big swells or gusty conditions offshore, but dealing with docking in a busy marina.

My boat is notoriously difficult to maneuver under power, because the rudder is directly behind the keel, and the propeller is above and behind the rudder. Thus, the only way to get steering authority is to be moving, and the tricks that normally allow for tight turns just aren't possible. Reverse is a nightmare.

The good news is that my boat is small, and doesn't weigh all that much, so it can be man-handled. I figure if I can get close enough to a slip without hitting anything, I could throw a line over to someone on the slip and do the job manually.

I may be putting into a marina soon, and I'm looking for some advice on how to make this experience go well. Conditions could be very windy (Santa Marta). If not there, I'll surely be putting into Shelter Bay a bit later.

Thanks in advance!
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 07:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for docking a boat that doesn't maneuver very well

Go in bow first.. Shelter Bay has finger pontoons.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:33   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Advice for docking a boat that doesn't maneuver very well

As Boatman suggests, nothing fancy, just come in bows too and somone'll help you get out later. Both Santa Marta and Shelter Bay have finger pontoons, At SM try calling on vhf, if not drop onto the fuel pontoon (port side just as you enter) where there'll be someone to take your lines; from there a Mariniero will take you around by buggy to 'see' the berth you're going to, return you to your boat and when you arrive at said berth there'll be two or three Mariniero's to assist.

At SB just call on vhf ch74 as you approach and the staff will give you details of which/what side to you're berthing and again, there'll be cockhands waiting to wave you in and take your lines as you approach.

We too have a boat which handles appallingly under power (not sure how we're going to get out of SB) but both marinas you mention are in the easy category for getting in/out of.

Always remember: Any docking/mooring/departure that's completed with the same amount of gel-coat as you started with is a good one.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
As Boatman suggests, nothing fancy, just come in bows too and somone'll help you get out later. Both Santa Marta and Shelter Bay have finger pontoons, At SM try calling on vhf, if not drop onto the fuel pontoon (port side just as you enter) where there'll be someone to take your lines; from there a Mariniero will take you around by buggy to 'see' the berth you're going to, return you to your boat and when you arrive at said berth there'll be two or three Mariniero's to assist.

At SB just call on vhf ch74 as you approach and the staff will give you details of which/what side to you're berthing and again, there'll be cockhands waiting to wave you in and take your lines as you approach.

We too have a boat which handles appallingly under power (not sure how we're going to get out of SB) but both marinas you mention are in the easy category for getting in/out of.

Always remember: Any docking/mooring/departure that's completed with the same amount of gel-coat as you started with is a good one.
Thanks for the helpful info! Getting on the fuel dock first is a good idea. If I go into Santa Marta and the winds are piping, I might go anchor until they calm down.

I do hope there are no cockhands waiting for me though .
Old 27-01-2018, 08:42   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

We are at Santa Marta now.....it is very windy but the wind calms considerably in mornings.....arrive early.
Call on VHF and the dock hands will come out to you in a large work inflatable tender. We have seen several boats where they go on the hip and literally put the boat in the slip. The slips are double wide here, for cats, so that is easily done with a monohull. We have also seen boats just get their bow into the double slip and then the dock guys sweat them in, often against adverse winds..... they really know what to do....unlike many marinas in USA we have been in....
Have a few words of Spanish at your disposal as many do not speak English well.....also a tip is appreciated when they have really helped you.
Lovely marina, great access to the city, not cheap dockage rates....
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
We are at Santa Marta now.....it is very windy but the wind calms considerably in mornings.....arrive early.
Call on VHF and the dock hands will come out to you in a large work inflatable tender. We have seen several boats where they go on the hip and literally put the boat in the slip. The slips are double wide here, for cats, so that is easily done with a monohull. We have also seen boats just get their bow into the double slip and then the dock guys sweat them in, often against adverse winds..... they really know what to do....unlike many marinas in USA we have been in....
Have a few words of Spanish at your disposal as many do not speak English well.....also a tip is appreciated when they have really helped you.
Lovely marina, great access to the city, not cheap dockage rates....
That's very helpful! I would plan for a morning arrival, or at least anchor overnight before hand.

What are the dockrates? I wasn't able to find that info on their website.
Old 27-01-2018, 08:53   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

"Advice for docking a boat that doesn't maneuver very well"

When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:54   #8

Boat: 1984 Catalina 38'

Looks like you got a lot of great advice on here already, but to add something not mentioned yet have you thought about the effects of prop walk on your boat?

First rule I always follow is never go faster than I want to crash in tight quarters. And as Terra Nova said when collision eminent sim for something cheap.

If you’ve never played with your boats prop walk get somewhere safe and at zero speed helm center drop in gear and watch the direction the boat spins. And vice versa go to reverse and it should spin opposite way.

With the rudder being in front of prop the prop wash would only take effect in reverse and probably contributes to the nightmare of trying to backup.

Anyway just knowing the difference between prop walk and prop wash and how they affect your boat could increase your confidence. But always best to radio for help ahead and take it slow. Very slow.
Cuso53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Early on I made some appallingly bad docking maneuvers. The only good thing was no one had a camera.

We have a heavy 44’ LOD, 50’LOA boat, never easy.

One idiotic thing we discover was we had a “power boat” prop. That thing was worthless in reverse. Once we discover this (thank you Mr. Surveyor once again) and out on a point piper sailboat prop we have been able to generat reverse thrust and at least get some prop walk to work with.

Power boat props are not symmetrical the way sailboat props are. I think Michigan Prop has pictures of their various prop shapes where you can see the difference. A surprising number of sailboats have the wrong type of prop.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:13   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So if I catch your drift, thrust is not the issue, pointing the boat in the right direction is, right? My first thought is a steering oar off the stern, one that is used to pull or push the stern around and pivot the boat into the right direction as needed (for both forward and reverse.) With your high coaming it would need a large block mounted on the small area of deck behind the coaming for the oar lock so that the oar won't bang on the coaming or rail. If you don't have time to mount a block, in a pinch you can lash the oar temporarily to one of the sheet winches and you can kick the boat around that way. And it is not hard to ship the oar (swing it out of the way) when you enter the slip or get near a (preferably cheap) boat. A ten foot oar would work I THINK for your boat just eyeballing it. And it could be used to double as a whisker pole or outrigger for a flopper stopper!
11 footers work for me. And if you go with 2 oars, reverse will never be a nightmare again! Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Don C L's Album: Oars?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:30   #11

-Rig your dock lines before going into the marina on the appropriate side. Move the tails to your exit point on deck.
-Pass into the marina slowly and observe wind or water current conditions as you go in. Current can be a problem so watch the water around pilings etc for indications. Determine which side you will be mooring to.
-Come alongside bow to the wind, this may require going in and turning around to dock.
-Give your self an "out" for turning, think ahead.
-I like the "come in hot" approach usually when it comes to actually going to the dock.. It gives you good steerage, stop the boat with reverse thrust.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:37   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Warping a ship into a dock is a long-standing and practical tradition. It is made impossible in some places (like the US/Canadian Pacific northwest coast, where horn cleats aren't often found) but when your dock has bollards or pilings or horn cleats, you can simply learn to throw a line around one of those, and haul the boat in. You throw a line to another point when it is most appropriate to the maneuvering, and haul in on both as needed. The lines are cleated off on your boat, instead of on the dock, which also makes it easier to cast off and leave.
Some folks feel reluctant to haul a boat in that way, but it is traditional and effective. Even when there's adequate power and control for docking, if someone jumps off with a line, they can take a spill and be hurt. Learning to throw a line and catch a cleat eliminates that problem. You don't have to "lasso" it, or throw a loop, you just need to get a line over the cleat (etc.) and bring it back to the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:00   #13

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
That's very helpful! I would plan for a morning arrival, or at least anchor overnight before hand.

What are the dockrates? I wasn't able to find that info on their website.

We are paying $1200.00 USD per month, not including water and electric. We are 52’ LOD. We have ample solar and wind generation, but I hear people complaining the water and electric are very expensive. There are also the matters of customs, immigration and cruising permit$$$$$$.
The security is excellent...we have left the boat to travel inland on three occasions and had no problem...locking gates and security guard at marina, locking gates onto each finger pier.
We had planned to anchor out in Tayrona or Cartagena until meeting the people on the catamaran Amarulla who were attacked and robbed in the adjacent bay last year....can google this or see on noonsite.
Colombia has come along way in safety, but, IMO, it is not as safe as some of the eastern Caribbean.....

We have traveled through the interior extensively without problem, but some cruisers here have had purse snatching and robberies in areas of Santa Marta....be careful, as always. In general, we have felt safe and found the Colombian people to be very hospitable and friendly. I understand there are emerging issues with refugees from Venezuela and the Coast guard seems particularly vigilant.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:03   #14

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
One of my biggest anxieties as a singlehander isn't facing big swells or gusty conditions offshore, but dealing with docking in a busy marina.

My boat is notoriously difficult to maneuver under power, because the rudder is directly behind the keel, and the propeller is above and behind the rudder. Thus, the only way to get steering authority is to be moving, and the tricks that normally allow for tight turns just aren't possible. Reverse is a nightmare.

The good news is that my boat is small, and doesn't weigh all that much, so it can be man-handled. I figure if I can get close enough to a slip without hitting anything, I could throw a line over to someone on the slip and do the job manually.

I may be putting into a marina soon, and I'm looking for some advice on how to make this experience go well. Conditions could be very windy (Santa Marta). If not there, I'll surely be putting into Shelter Bay a bit later.

Thanks in advance!
My advice is to determine whether you have a right or left-hand propeller, and use that knowledge to dictate your favored approach to a dock, either to your port or starboard. Nose in but don't touch, then a quick addition of reverse to allow prop walk to move your stern into the dock; and be mindful of any vessel's tendency to "lose the bow." It can be a friend. Maneuver your vessel in close proximity to the dock where you want it, and dock boys will be an unnecessary nicety.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:03   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for docking a boat that doesn't maneuver very well

No current as such in Shelter Bay.. its totally enclosed with a SE entrance right in the corner to Stbd as you come through the main breakwater.. about 2km from the entrance.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock, Docking