Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 21:19   #1

Advice for a Newbie on My End Goal - My Dream Monohull

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this board and I want to introduce myself as I continue to do research into what I want out of a boat and my choices.

I'm a 37 year old hi-tech worker in silicon valley who is pretty much burned out. I've been an on and off sailor for the past 16 years. Most of the time I charter from
Sunsail or Moorings for 2 weeks at a time every 2 years. Currently I own a small motorboat.

My wife and I are in the research phase right now, so please forgive the naive questions.

We are considering buying a monohull in the future that can comfortably carry 4-6 people for 2 week voyages, but can also be sailed with just 2 people easily.
We would plan to use the boat mainly in Baja initially to sail for 1 month increments, but ultimately plan to live on board. Later the plan would be to sail to hawaii and further out west. I know that boats are a compromise and I lean towards safety and comfort first (sailing and accomodations), followed by speed. I'm also a believer in buying new and keeping for a longer period of time. Our budget could be up to 600K fully equiped.

As far as size, I'm thinking of something in the 43 - 53 ft range. Configuration is still TBD. What manufacturers do you think I should start looking at as I continue my research?

Thanks in advance, and I hope that one day I'll be able to contribute as well.

Take care,
Tom
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Hi from Florida.

Well, with that kind of budget and priorities, I would look at the Amel 54.

Not a fan of French tech, but these Amel boats makes a lot of sense and they talk to me.

Have inspected a few lately here in Ft. Lauderdale and I keep buying lotto tickets.......
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I like the Valiant 50 very much. They are built to go anywhere.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28   #4
cruiser

With that budget, I would have to ask if you have any part-time telecommuting/development work available.

I'm 34 and used to run a small business akin to IBM in Manhattan. 17 employees, and hoards of 1099 developers. Also developed a great deal of software myself.

Now, I run a small charter business here on the east coast and am always looking for extra work/projects.

I would contribute to your post, but am not experienced with $600K boats.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:42   #5

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
more choices

Unless you are firmly wedded to a leaner for the money you are willing to spend there are many true blue world cruising catamarans.

After 30 years of sailing leaners I switched to a catamaran for cruising and will never go back.

It is a change but if you are starting from scratch it would be worthwhile to look into the catamaran world of cruising..

fast, roomy, and upright!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:28   #6

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I too would recommend looking at Amel very seriously. If they do not talk to you and they are unique [French boat they do it their way - but very practical].

With a 5-600K budget you have lots of really good choices I personally would start with Hallberg Rassy, Passport, Hylas, Shannon, Oyster, Moody and if you can find one in your price range an Able [now Morris] Apogee 50.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23   #7
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
That's a lot of boat for a first boat.

My tendancy would be to get a smaller boat for the SF Bay. Sail it with you and your family -- determine if its really for you.

There are a lot of boats -- but what you're looking for, given the differences in boats listed, varies a great deal.

The "platform" (to borrow a term you may relate to) is so different. THe expectations of your crew and guests can vary a good bit too. If you are into going "Native" down in Baja, then you'd not really want a Winnabago with a sail -- HOWEVER, if you expectations are to be able to enjoy creature comforts you're used to, then I wouldn't get a number of boats that might sail better but wouldn't be as commodius.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32   #8

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. It's still very early in my research phase, so what I end up with may be very different. It sure is nice to dream though...

To answer some of the questions and give a bit more information:

My preference is monohulls, while I do enjoy the space and stability of cats, I don't enjoy the sailing as much.

I'm familiar with many of the boats mentioned except the Amel, Passport and Valiant. HR and Shannon were towards the top of my list along with Nautors and X-Yachts. For some reason I thought that Moody and Oyster were well above my target range.

I've ordered a bunch of books off amazon to continue feeding my appetite for information.

Thanks again and please continue to giving me any leads I should check out.

Take care,
Tom
Old 02-01-2006, 13:16   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
New boat

Call me Thrifty. After much consideration I would likely buy a Cal 36, old and used for about $30,000- Then I would buy all the extra quality junk I felt it needed. New sails and rigging, fridge battery stuff, auto helm, wind vane and so on.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 15:30   #10

You might also consider looking into Bavaria sailboats. I hear lots of good things about them. Me and Kai Nui were looking at one on 12/30/05 tied up in his marina.

A recent model at that. Nice and sharp looking. Very pleasing to the eye. Price range around $275,000 ? Wouldn't hurt to check up on them. Good luck!!
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 15:48   #11

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
My vote is for the

AMEL. It is virtually unsinkable with the watertight bulkheads and doors. But we all know about unsinkability...look where the Titanic is today. That aside, you could not do much better for a very seaworthy and safe boat.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 16:50   #12

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Re: New boat

Quote:
BC Mike C once whispered in the wind:
Call me Thrifty. After much consideration I would likely buy a Cal 36, old and used for about $30,000- Then I would buy all the extra quality junk I felt it needed. New sails and rigging, fridge battery stuff, auto helm, wind vane and so on.
Michael
Michael

While I agree you can get a really good boat for less than 600K - I know I did.

If you want a mid 40 to mid 50 ft high quality boat which by definition offers a whole lot that a Cal never could [i.e. speed, comfort etc] - don't try and say oh a Cal 36 is a way better way to spend the dollars. After all in thriftyness terms Tom's 600K maybe equivalent to your 30K or being thifty for Tom 300K - we don't know.

Hell if I could have afforded a newer boat it would have saved me 2-3 years of refit time, expenses and labor. The trade offs we make are based on our ability to spend and still go cruising - some more some less -- let's not try and put everyone in the same bucket.

After all I don't say you can't go on a 75K boat -- you can -- however thankfully I could afford more and it's not the boat I would chose. So let's all sit back and try an put ourselves in the person asking for advices shoes...OK off the high horse...
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 17:45   #13

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Thrifty and Jon

I agree with you, just offering a point of view from the other extreme.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 18:14   #14

Boat: Ensenada 20
Saw a Caliber 47 at the Annapolis Boat Show that I lusted after. Goes for about $550,000 very well equipped.

Island Packet had about a 45 footer there in that price range too that looked like a complete sexy machine!

Both are center cockpit monohulls.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 18:53   #15

Re: Re: New boat

Quote:
Jon D once whispered in the wind:
Michael

While I agree you can get a really good boat for less than 600K - I know I did.

If you want a mid 40 to mid 50 ft high quality boat which by definition offers a whole lot that a Cal never could [i.e. speed, comfort etc] - don't try and say oh a Cal 36 is a way better way to spend the dollars. After all in thriftyness terms Tom's 600K maybe equivalent to your 30K or being thifty for Tom 300K - we don't know.

Hell if I could have afforded a newer boat it would have saved me 2-3 years of refit time, expenses and labor. The trade offs we make are based on our ability to spend and still go cruising - some more some less -- let's not try and put everyone in the same bucket.

After all I don't say you can't go on a 75K boat -- you can -- however thankfully I could afford more and it's not the boat I would chose. So let's all sit back and try an put ourselves in the person asking for advices shoes...OK off the high horse...
hahaha...I can assure you that 600K, nor 300K is thrifty for me.

I'm still doing my homework, but I've already eliminated several boats due to $$$.

Quick question for you guys...how much validaty do these sailing formula's have? like displacement length ratio, sail area displacement ratio, sail area wetting surface area, stability and GZ curve.

Cheers!
Tom